McIntosh MA6200 vs 2205+C28

lkupscznk

I have what I suppose is a classic question, but I can't seem to find a decent answer online.

Right now I am using a McIntosh MA6200 (primarily for turntable listening) to drive a pair of Dalquist DQ-10s combined with a pair of Jamo J252 Studio Monitors. I love the speaker combination, with the DQs providing excellent clarity and the Jamos supporting it with some bass/depth.

I am wondering if there would be any benefit to swapping the MA6200 for a combination of a McIntosh 2205 with a C28. I've heard arguments that the separated pre-amp interferes with vs enhances clarity. So, what do users think? Assuming there would be a difference, what would it be? If it matters, I play pretty much all genres of music, but especially jazz, funk, and early electronics. I like warmth and clarity in my amp.

Assume all of this equipment is in immaculate/restored condition, and that the 2205+C28 would cost me about 2000 USD (with walnut cabinets).

Assuming both units have been restored so that they meet/exceed published specs, then this an upgrade. You'll gain flexibility and power.

Yes, but will it be a sufficient enough upgrade to justify spending the money? I know that in theory it's an upgrade, but how much will it actually impact my day to day listening?

You will notice going from 75 watts to 200 for sure and those D10's can handle it. You'll get more volume and better bass control.

That being said, I like the pre amp in the 6200 better. It's a generation newer and doesn't have the famous volume control problems of the C28. I like the features on the 6200 better, FET switching, more inputs, five band equalizer, variable loudness, I think it looks better too. The C28 doesn't match the MC2205 either, different knobs and end caps. Would you use the center channel output on the C28? It's one thing that the MA6200 lacks.

I think you should get the MC2205 and use the MA6200 as a pre amp. You save money, keep all the cool features of the MA6200 and end up with TWO amps! They would look nicer together as well.

Or consider a C3x pre amp of the same era as the 2205...

I hadn't thought of pairing the MC2205 and the MA6200. I've never used an integrated amp as only a preamp before. How does that work exactly?

On the back of the MA6200 there is a pair of "jumpers", marked as such, by pulling them out, the pre amp is disconnected from the amp. If you plug a set of RCA plugs from the "pre amp out" plugs to your MC2205, you will have the pre amp in the 6200 connected to the 2205. If you want to use both amps, say for bi amping, 75 watts to the tweeters and 200 watts to the woofers, get a splitter or piggyback and run one end from the pre amp out plugs into both the amp in on the 6200 and to the inputs of the 2205. Now you have two amps controlled by the pre in the 6200.

Just so. Only further item to add is to suggest running the less sensitive speakers with the more powerful amplifier.

Good luck with the system and have a Happy 4th of July.

Last edited:
So, I just talked with the dealer, and apparently the 2205 is no longer available.

They do have a MC2105, an MC250 and a MC2255...what do you all think of these as alternatives to the 2205?

Is there one that is superior and if so, why? Keeping in mind I'm still planning to pair with the 6200.

Thanks!

If cost is no object, get the MC2255, successor to the MC2205.

It also has the rare self-diagnostic test feature which was only ever used on the MC2155 (and MC2150/2250 - non-metered versions of the 2155/2255).

Well the cost is a factor, of course. If I'm going to splurge on the 2255, I want to know that my listening experience will actually be enhanced. If I won't really notice a difference, then I will forego it. However, if I will notice an improvement, then the cost isn't prohibitive.

Well the cost is a factor, of course. If I'm going to splurge on the 2255, I want to know that my listening experience will actually be enhanced. If I won't really notice a difference, then I will forego it. However, if I will notice an improvement, then the cost isn't prohibitive.

The advantages of the larger unit is that it's something less likely you'll grow out of plus, the additional reserve power is never a bad thing either. And if even more power is desired, you can add another for MC2255 for 2 monoblocs of 500 w each.

The MC2255 offers the flexibilty of combining both channels in parallel or bridged mode for 500 w into almost any load. There are 3 modes of meter operation on the MC2255 and watt readings are more user-friendly; MC2105 calibrated in dB only (somewhat a PITA) - if it's any consideration.

Also, what are the odds that the 2255 (250 watts per channel) would blow my speakers (DQ10s, max 200 watts)?

The likelihood of the speakers being blown out isn't any greater with a 250 watt amplifier over another amplifier of lesser power. In fact, loudspeaker damage (esp to tweeters) is far more likely when powered by an underpowered amplifier that is overdriven. (This another discussion altogether so we'll just let it go at that).

It would cost me about 1700 (with the walnut cabinet, near mint condition, professionally serviced)...that seems like a good deal that I can't easily replicate online.

MC2255 is widely considered the very best of that era of McIntosh amplifiers That is a very fair price, especially given that it has been serviced and includes the cabinet. Grab it!

It would cost me about 1700 (with the walnut cabinet, near mint condition, professionally serviced)...that seems like a good deal that I can't easily replicate online.
That is a screaming deal. You will never lose money on that if you decide it is not to your liking. FWIW I run a 2205 with a CJ PV 1 and settled there after a few other options. Vandersteen 3A (fairly power hungry) plus subs.

Back
Top Bottom