McIntosh MC 2105 gain control question

Johnnyhigh5

Hello everyone,
I purchased a 2105 the other day, and the gain controls start (minimum) at 9 o'clock and go clockwise to about 7 o'clock(maximum). With the middle at 2 o'clock. They are both set like that. Is that normal?

I have a 2505 that start at about 7 o'clock and turn clockwise to 5 o'clock. With the middle at 12 o'clock.

Anyone familiar with this model to know if the pots can be adjusted to be like my 2505 or is it correct the way it is? Thanks!

John

Hello John
no , not normal at all but the spring in your knob is maybe wrong placed .
Gain in MC2505 and MC2105 have the same way to work , no differences , your pot should not be adjusted it should be like your 2105 !

The previous owner might have done that so that the knobs are in a particular position for his taste / normal listening.

The previous owner might have done that so that the knobs are in a particular position for his taste / normal listening.

So, do you think I can take the face off, and loosen the nuts holding the pots in and turn them back to the original location? I didn't want to do all that if it isn't possible.

IMG_20170313_214852857.jpg IMG_20170313_214914320.jpg
This is from a 2505-2, but I believe that the pot mounting is the same (two longer-shaft ones are gain).

I'm going to go with the above (post #2) scenario as being most likely: the spring was removed from the knob bore and clocked differently. You should be able to look at the pot and see if it is in the correct orientation but there are pins that keep it from rotating out of position (hole just visible at 3:00 in the second photo), it would not be clean to rotate and re-tighten the pot.

Back
Top Bottom