Mcintosh mc-60 missing cap?

allhartfidelity

More gear than sense
Subscriber
Pair of 60's, using 1858 amd up as well as 4496 and up schematics (the amps span both ) both chematics look the same.
Both have listed a capacitor c6 @470mmf no voltage given. This capacitor to straddle r11 a 1.3k resistor. The cap is not present in either amp.
Ive tried to find board layout like the sams photofact. The Sams, does not have mac designations listed so ive changed them to correspond to it. Sams call it c8, and shows it on the back side of the board.
Has anyone gone missing a c6 cap while rebuilding these amps? Any guidence appriciated.

Attachments

• 15320235712806281029776460228272.jpg
    15320235712806281029776460228272.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 15320235854572477156158382655099.jpg
    15320235854572477156158382655099.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
It better be there. That is the negative feedback loop!

Cheers,

David
Just learned that it actually only LOOKS like a resistor. Little lighter in color than carbon comp resistor but is actually a cap. (One next to white wire) Strange to see a cap looking like a carbon resistor. Go figure.

Attachments

• 15320300407147725681033428148216.jpg
    15320300407147725681033428148216.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Also, having desired a power switch but not willing to add a hole, im thinking of an option.
As i cut the cord off one amp because it was frayed, i wanted to power it for testing after the rectifier change so i used a double ended cord and went in through the 3amp plug. It occured to me to keep using this cord to power, which is similar in fashion not to having a removable iec. Pull the plastic crimp out of the hole where the power cord was and instal a power switch there. Simple, reversible, very little work. Anyone want the old power cords?

Also, having desired a power switch but not willing to add a hole, im thinking of an option.
As i cut the cord off one amp because it was frayed, i wanted to power it for testing after the rectifier change so i used a double ended cord and went in through the 3amp plug. It occured to me to keep using this cord to power, which is similar in fashion not to having a removable iec. Pull the plastic crimp out of the hole where the power cord was and instal a power switch there. Simple, reversible, very little work. Anyone want the old power cords?
No, definitely not! Major safety hazard!!
Replace cord and put the switch where the oem nonpolarized power socket resides.

Back in the day, it was not that uncommon to see some of the high stability caps use the color code system for identification. It only seems strange today since it is no longer used, or to those who arrived later to the original vacuum tube audio scene!

Great amps!

Dave

These tubular ceramic caps were common for small precise values, also used in the Marantz tube amps.

Last edited:
No, definitely not! Major safety hazard!!
Replace cord and put the switch where the oem nonpolarized power socket resides.
So its safe to have power coming OUT of that socket through a cord, but not safe for power to go IN?
you do realize that the stock power cord is wired directly TO the back side of the socket yes? Just curiouse why its no safe?

So its safe to have power coming OUT of that socket through a cord, but not safe for power to go IN?
you do realize that the stock power cord is wired directly TO the back side of the socket yes? Just curiouse why its no safe?
It is the double male ended power cord that is not safe. Definitely not recommended!

It is the double male ended power cord that is not safe. Definitely not recommended!
How about a male end in place of where the current female plug is?
Or! A female to female adapter of sorts that locks into the male side?
Thing is, i would have to drill the rivets on the other plug to install a switch there i think, a d the hole left would be huge.
Just kicking the ball around here, trying to learn stuff. Inline power switch was second option, but not sure on the amprage or quality of that type.

How about a male end in place of where the current female plug is?
Or! A female to female adapter of sorts that locks into the male side?
Thing is, i would have to drill the rivets on the other plug to install a switch there i think, a d the hole left would be huge.
Just kicking the ball around here, trying to learn stuff. Inline power switch was second option, but not sure on the amprage or quality of that type.
There are in line switches up to the task, I'm using a nice one on my Marantz 8 that plugs into the outlet, the amp plugs into the switch. You could Daisy chain two amps to it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/QVS-Sing...75035&wl11=online&wl12=34214830&wl13=&veh=sem

There are in line switches up to the task, I'm using a nice one on my Marantz 8 that plugs into the outlet, the amp plugs into the switch. You could Daisy chain two amps to it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/QVS-Sing...75035&wl11=online&wl12=34214830&wl13=&veh=sem
Daisy chain, yes. Would be nice to have one switch for both amps.
Also, while we are here.. the two 12k resistors on the unit. 17 and 19 i think. These being cutrently carbon, and the only 2 i was thinking of metal film for. Mac wants them within 1% of each other, and i can get the films with 1% tolorance so they should drift a lot less yes?
I realize i want to stick primarily to carbon for sound characteristics, but how about just these 2?
Seems a shame to use 5 and 10% tolorance carbon when 1% may not drift as much.

These tubular versmic caps were common for small precise values, also used in the Marantz tube amps.
"Versmic" this equate to in todays terms as ceramic? Unable to locate the term directly, while trying to learn more. Thank you for your conformation that it is indeed a cap.

Daisy chain, yes. Would be nice to have one switch for both amps.
Also, while we are here.. the two 12k resistors on the unit. 17 and 19 i think. These being cutrently carbon, and the only 2 i was thinking of metal film for. Mac wants them within 1% of each other, and i can get the films with 1% tolorance so they should drift a lot less yes?
I realize i want to stick primarily to carbon for sound characteristics, but how about just these 2?
Seems a shame to use 5 and 10% tolorance carbon when 1% may not drift as much.
Metal film resistors are preferable in any application that carries current, less critical for signal only portions.

Ceramic, fat fingers.
In googling the sprague, and Cornell part numbers of that cap, it was used in tons of Mac, Fisher, televisions ect. 10% 470pf but no voltage given yet. Suppose i can measure whats on it or its position in the circuit to deduce. One looks quite "iffy" so i think what the heck. Rest of the caps are going by by, may as well.

Back
Top Bottom