Mcintosh MC-602 vs Musical fidelity KW 500

juniorJBL

SUB 1500 :)
I would like to know if anyone has ever compared the 2 of these.
I have had the KW 500 for about 3 years then the upgrade bug bit!!

I have been comparing these for about 2 weeks now and I am having a hard time finding what others find so awesome about McIntosh. This is not meant to be a slam I would have never got this amp if I wanted to slam it.
I have listened to this over and over and still come up with the same feelings.

The KW 500 sounds more accurate ad detailed all through the spectrum.
The MC 602 does not seam to have the clarity that the KW 500 has. While the 602 does look very cool (meters and all) my wife has said the same thing. I trust her ears way more than my own. She is definitely in to good sound so it is not a matter of her wanting it out of the house.

Maybe I am doing something wrong with the 602 that others could comment on.

BTW I have always left it on.:scratch2:

The only thing I can suggest is to change to different impedance speaker taps on the MC602. What speakers are you driving, what's your room like, etc.?

The room is a theater that I have built in my basement. Not the best dimensions but adequate. 19 X 12. Speakers are B&W Signature 800's.
I have only tried the 8 ohm taps.

Here is a pic

Last edited:
McIntosh is truly great but that means nothing if it doesn't float your boat! Not everyone is going to love something, no matter how good it is. Most things are a matter of taste. Keep searching and when you hear the sound you're looking for, you'll know. I usually find first impressions to be quite telling. You can't really make yourself love something if your hearts not in it!

I guess as you get into higher end equipment the changes are slight not necessarily better or worse just different. I am going to try this amp on some other speakers (250ti) when I get them put back together in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I am sure that this makes a differance as well.:yes:

The Mc 602 is cool looking. Love the meters. The KW 500 is cool looking as well with that big volume knob.!!!

I would rather have the McIntosh any day as a long term component. It will have superb durability in use, support which is unrivalled after the sale in both parts and service and long term is easier to live with. My only regrets about McIntosh was not getting one sooner. They also sound excellent in good order.

Further listening has provided a better description of what I hear from the two amps

1 sound-stage from the MC 602 is set farther back. Kind of like sitting in the back of a Venue. With this it also seems that the clarity looses some of its focus. LF seems to stay forward. so it is kind of odd when compared to the KW 500.

2 sound-stage from the KW 500 is upfront and wide like you went to the front row. Placement of the players/instruments is a little more detailed.

Setup is the same for both amps. Using the KW 500 tube pre for both amps and same volume. about 20 watts RMS 60 peak. B&W Signature 800's 2 JBL 2242's in 14 cu ft boxes Tuned to 25hz with a Crown K2 for power and Ashley crossover and parametric eq crossover point is 55 hz. Music was Diana Krall, Yellow, Michael Jackson, Chick Corea and the acoustic band/electric band, Bob James Trio, Dire Straits.

Both amps seem comparable for LF. One does not go lower then the other.
This has been the case with other amps I have had in the past.
When these amps were compared to my Proceed HPA 2's (in bridged config for 500 w per channel) they bested them easily with a warmer vibrant feeling.
The Proceeds were somewhat brash all through the spectrum.

Last edited:
A follow up for the ones who care!!

The KW 500 could not stand up to the MC-602 on other speakers. I have since sold the KW in favor of the MC!! The Mc never wavered from it's standpoint and always sounded as I expected which is hard for alot of amps to ever achive.

Sorry to those who tried to tell me, I now understand!:music:

I now use a pair of DIY JBL 1400 Arrays with Be drivers for mid and hi's and really can not get enough of my Mc gear!! Lookingf now for a C50!!:D

Glad I never sold the MC.:nono:

I am late on this thread by a few years but, I have a McIntosh MC402 with a Audio Research SP16 pre. I was actually considering getting a KW500. I am glad I read this review.

Sometimes finding the synergy with speakers and amps is a pain.

Hello guys! I'm 7 years behind this thread but that's OK as my update is worthwhile for those who would like to perform a dedicated upgrade on their MC602.

IMPORTANT: You should NOT perform any electrical modification unless you are experienced in servicing any amplifier for at least 3 years of time.
Opening up the chassis of any amplifier including the one mentioned herein may cause ELECTRIC SHOCK and even DEATH.
All precaution should be considered, verified & implemented before performing any modification on any amplifier.
Unplug the AC MAIN Cord BEFORE opening the chassis of any amplifier.
DO NOT Touch the Capacitor Terminal immediately after unplugging the AC Main Cord.
Anyone who tries to perform any modification on their electronic device/components do so at their own risks
and I am not liable for any personal fault, workmanship, consequential damage nor adverse result.

This is a major internal upgrade and is worth the effort.

The resolution is phenomenon, voice and percussion becomes 3 dimensional, all instruments intertwine each other like time has paused at that moment and headroom is translucent.

It just sound amazing.

Please check out the photos & transistor log (PDF) attached. Highlighted ones were used.

It took me 3 months to figure out on this upgrade with all top components purchased in Taiwan & the US and 9 months to complete the upgrade.

NEW Glass panel and LED Kit were also installed!

I had to perform this upgrade because the sound deteriorated and performance had degraded over time (since 2000 - production date) and left channel's volume decreased by the month.

I'm glad to overcome all hurdles in analyzing individual components as well as hand-picking top-notch resistors & capacitors from local distributors.

I've also made a compatible Curve Tracer for Tek 2467B for power transistor matching and used PEAK Atlas for small transistors.

Highest Contribution Components:

Military Grade Capacitor from Douglas Lockheed at the input PCB.
Power Transistors from Motorola MJL21193 (PNP) & MJL21194 (NPN) - Power is Absolute with High Fidelity Sound.
Small Signal Transistors - MPSA56 (PNP) and MPSA06 (NPN) - Absolute Details than 55 and 05.
Small Signal Transistors - 2SA1145 (PNP) and 2SC2705 (NPN) - This is where the resolution and 3D sounds come in!

RB

IMPORTANT: You should NOT perform any electrical modification unless you are experienced in servicing any amplifier for at least 3 years of time.
Opening up the chassis of any amplifier including the one mentioned herein may cause ELECTRIC SHOCK and even DEATH.
All precaution should be considered, verified & implemented before performing any modification on any amplifier.
Unplug the AC MAIN Cord BEFORE opening the chassis of any amplifier.
DO NOT Touch the Capacitor Terminal immediately after unplugging the AC Main Cord.
Anyone who tries to perform any modification on their electronic device/components do so at their own risks
and I am not liable for any personal fault, workmanship, consequential damage nor adverse result.

IMG_3583.jpg IMG_4039.jpg IMG_3933.jpg IMG_3990.jpg

Attachments

• Transistor Log.pdf
    62.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3991.jpg
    IMG_3991.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3993.jpg
    IMG_3993.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back