McIntosh MC2100 a worthy upgrade?

MadcapLaughs

Hi there,

Any idea if I should pull the trigger on purchasing a mc2100 power amp today? More specifically would that amp's seperate power supply at 110wpc be a serious upgrade to the power amp section on my Yamaha A1 integrated amp(70wpc)? I know that the Yamaha is considered as great amp on its own but I'm wondering if I would get a noticeable upgrade in power and sound quality by hooking the mc amp up to the preamp in my A1. Any thoughts? Both have been professionally serviced, recapped.

The 2100 has lots of headroom and sounds as good as most modern amplifiers, has a wonderful musical quality with lots of punch !! When in good condition it can put out an easy 140 watts per channel, with the right speakers it is hard to beat....

I am using altec 890c bolero speakers right now. While I know they are efficient speakers I still feel like they would sound better with more watts than 70wpc. I see you highly reccomend the mc, but any idea if it's a real upgrade to what many consider to be a TOTL amp in the A1? Thanks for the input so far...

Back to the OPs question......I think you will find that the Mac will have a "sound" a character if I may, imullating the classic Mac tube amplifiers that preceded the MC2100.

You might find that to your liking or maybe not.

The 3dB extra volume difference available I do not believe will be the main reason for a sound difference.

I would try one local to you so you can be sure.

Yamaha and McIntosh have very different sonic characteristics to my ears. I personally have never liked the "Natural Sound" amps from Yammie. You may not notice the extra power as more volume, but you might notice it as better woofer control.

Another vote for listening to the 2100 first...

Yamaha and McIntosh have very different sonic characteristics to my ears. I personally have never liked the "Natural Sound" amps from Yammie. You may not notice the extra power as more volume, but you might notice it as better woofer control.

Another vote for listening to the 2100 first...
Yes....Listen to the 2100 First. As to it's age. I would find out has this been Recapped. It's long due.

The 2100 is one of the least expensive ways to experience 100+ wpc of vintage Mcintosh sound. If you like what you hear you can add a 2nd one later on to double your power and fun factor. Another good thing is if you buy it at a reasonable price you'll also be able to get your money back when or if the time comes to sell.
I'm pretty happy with my pair of 2100's so I'll vote go for it to.

Hi there,

Any idea if I should pull the trigger on purchasing a mc2100 power amp today? More specifically would that amp's seperate power supply at 110wpc be a serious upgrade to the power amp section on my Yamaha A1 integrated amp(70wpc)? I know that the Yamaha is considered as great amp on its own but I'm wondering if I would get a noticeable upgrade in power and sound quality by hooking the mc amp up to the preamp in my A1. Any thoughts? Both have been professionally serviced, recapped.
I have two in less than optimal condition, (rusted/butt ugly) but they sound wonderful!

Well I pulled the trigger on it yesterday, $450 for a great condition and serviced mc2100!! Really happy so far with it. Running it through a mediocre Yamaha R900 receiver right now while the A1 gets worked on. The A1 will definitely be the preamp section I will run the MC through eventually. Anyway it's definitely a softer smoother sounding amp than I have heard before (in a good way). It also has tremendous power and my altec boleros sound so much beefier. I may look for a bright cartridge to replace the nagaoka mp110 as it is already a very smooth cart. A bright and detailed cart may be a good balance to the amps laid back output. Regardless, a great purchase imo.

Also I cannot imagine needing monoblocked mc2100s for horn speakers like mine. Already an incredible amount of power

Well I hope the a1 preamp section will do the mc justice! I don't think I plan on diving into Mcintosh preamps anytime soon. That can get out of hand cost wise, and I do really like the phono stage on the a1 (turntable used 95% of the time).

Well I pulled the trigger on it yesterday, $450 for a great condition and serviced mc2100!! Really happy so far with it. Running it through a mediocre Yamaha R900 receiver right now while the A1 gets worked on. The A1 will definitely be the preamp section I will run the MC through eventually. Anyway it's definitely a softer smoother sounding amp than I have heard before (in a good way). It also has tremendous power and my altec boleros sound so much beefier. I may look for a bright cartridge to replace the nagaoka mp110 as it is already a very smooth cart. A bright and detailed cart may be a good balance to the amps laid back output. Regardless, a great purchase imo.

You stole it at that price. :)
I traded a pair of Dynaco MkIII amps for my pair of Mc2100's, and I thought that I got a hell of a deal in spite of the cosmetic shortcomings. It is a great sounding amp!

Last edited:
Yes I'll upload a photo when I get the chance. A few smudges here and there but still has the chrome shimmer on the base, looks fantastic to be honest. The tech shop I bought it from has another 2100 for $400. It seems tempting to pick that one up too but I just can't justify it right now. It's cheaper due to its much, much rougher cosmetic condition. (Storage in St. Louis humid basements can ruin anything!) anyway the amp bench tested great, wattage output for both amps was the same when demoed to me (at least 115wpc of clean distortion free output). Anyway there it sits at the tech shop waiting for another owner who realizes that beauty is on the inside lol.

That's a great deal you got on that 2100. And with the low price on the 2nd 2100 I'm thinking you should ask about a nice Mac pre amp. As chef free mentioned that's where you'll hear the Mcintosh sound. I wish I had a shop with prices like that near me

good get! That is below market price. Most may be turned off by the lack of meters.

Another pre option that I recommend is tube. My 2100 is running prime duty for me until I finish refurbing the 2205.

Back
Top Bottom