McIntosh MR-67 panlocs question

Patrick_W

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am fairly new to McIntosh and I just bought a MR67 to go with my MA230 and I am really happy to have this classic combination finally.

The MR67 performs well and came in its own L12 case with panlocs. This came from an original owner so I don't think the panlocs have been used much in the last 50 years. When I depress the buttons they are incredibly hard to push in. Can these be lubricated? How hard, or easy rather, is it supposed to be to disengage the panlocs?

Can the mechanism freeze up from age and disuse? What is the best way to lubricate/loosen it? And I am not talking about the rails, I mean the actual buttons that engage the rods into the knobs at the rear of the panloc rails. What can be done to make this system improve?

Any insight from AK members with years in the McIntosh trenches would be appreciated!

-Patrick

Twisting the Panloc buttons can sometimes help. You can also try turning the barrel inserts on the rear of the unit while depressing the front buttons. (Using both hands - depressing the front button while twisting the barrel on the rear & repeat for the other side).

Hi 62caddy. Thanks for the info. I have enjoyed your other posts on all things McIntosh.

I will try your suggestions. So there is no need to add a drop of oil anywhere? I do have sewing machine oil with a very precise tip that adds small drops to the spots.

-Patrick

I've never heard of using oil on the Panloc hardware before. Maybe just a bit of machine oil on the "barrels" couldn't hurt but probably won't do much good elsewhere.

Thanks! I will do some fiddling with the barrels and see if I cannot make things work easier. It seems like it is a simple mechanism so the stiffness in the buttons had me puzzled. I will let you know if I use oil and update any progress.

In the meantime, if any one else has experience with stiff and hard to use Panlocs I would be curious to hear what people did to improve functionality.

-Patrick

Just an update, I did take your advice 62caddy and rotated the barrels while keeping the panlocs engaged. I noticed there was definitely a sweet spot on both left and right sides. Once I found that it was much easier to engage and disengage the panlocs.

So thank you 62caddy.

And thanks to AK for being such a great resource for all. The collective knowledge and wisdom is much appreciated.

-Patrick

Back
Top Bottom