mcintosh preamp suggestions wanted

I'm the odd man out ,we're it me I'd be looking for a clean C-38 solid state presmp ,to my ears it's the best sounding Mac SS preamp of all eras vintage and modern ,and it's equipped with the absolute best tone control circuits ,including a killer loudness control feature that's spectacular for listening at low levels ,the C-38 also comes with a remote control ,for a decade I kept a C-38 in my 5 channel system along with a Tubed C-2200 and would switch from tube to solid state I liked the 38 so much ,the system I'm building right now around McIntosh XRT-28s and a C-2500 I may end up running a C-38 in the system so I can go from the tubed 2500 to the 38 ,I can't stress enough how excellent that specific model Preamp sounds .
here is where iam at at this moment the c30 can be bought for 750 and the c34v will cost 1750.

I never see a C35 mentioned in these Mac threads. I'm starting to get a complex! :crazy:

I LOVE my C35! Here, though, it's always C34V, C34V, C34V! :rant:

Dave

Last edited:
A while ago as part of our C30 pre/post recap comparison to a restored C35 a c38 was included as a third participant.

While the 30 was in for a restoration the 38 was just for lamps.......wouldn't have made the grade compared to the to restored units but the owner wanted to stand pat.

I missed the the 5 tone circuits on it even when we were selling them new.....same with the c29.

I never see a C35 mentioned in these Mac threads. I'm stating to get a complex! :crazy:

I LOVE my C35! Here, though, it's always C34V, C34V, C34V! :rant:

Dave

I’m with you Dave. I have a C35 and like it a lot.

Remote control, variable loudness, phono stage, multi-band tone controls, etc. A very flexible and great sounding unit - and typically sells for a discount because of its half-glass face.

captouch said: >>A very flexible and great sounding unit<<

Agreed, cap. "Flexibility" is the key for me. It's an input-output bonanza! :thumbsup:

Dave

I love graphic controls on my C-34 , but I miss having separate tone controls for the left and right channels. Having the processor loops if you want to add a DBX processor, 3BX, 119, or 12 band graphic EQ or an Autocorelator is a great addition. Being able to insert the tone controls into the record loop along with the dynamic range function of the 33 or 34 is a nice addition. I love the separate record and listen selectors in addition to the tape monitor switch. If you need extra power for head phones the C-33 and 34 have amps that put out close to 30 watts each channel. They work great power electrostatic headphones. Cross talk is not an issue with other adjacent inputs either. I use a MP100 phono pre-amp feeding a line input for MC cartridges. The only issues I have had is keeping the push buttons clean along with the balance control.

Hook the CVs to the 8 Ohm taps and report back. No, you won't hurt the amp.
here is what i found, i hope i can explaine it...CVs on the 8ohm taps amp set to .75 and gains all the way up. the kenwood turned up to -19 amp meters about 200 watts, sounds loud, full, clear, if i turn it up any more it bumps the power guard as before.. with the amp set to 2.5 kenwood will go higher all the way to +18 amp meters will go all the way to 250watts doesnt hit the power guard, but doesnt seem as loud, sound is not as full, kinda flat... seems 8 or 4 ohm not much difference...

here is what i found, i hope i can explaine it...CVs on the 8ohm taps amp set to .75 and gains all the way up. the kenwood turned up to -19 amp meters about 200 watts, sounds loud, full, clear, if i turn it up any more it bumps the power guard as before.. with the amp set to 2.5 kenwood will go higher all the way to +18 amp meters will go all the way to 250watts doesnt hit the power guard, but doesnt seem as loud, sound is not as full, kinda flat... seems 8 or 4 ohm not much difference...
Whatchoo' mean not much difference? Leave the amp set to the .75V input sensitivity, leave the speakers on the 8 Ohm taps and party on. If the PG lamps ain't flashing once every 30 seconds or so, you're simply not playin' that shit loud enough.

Whatchoo' mean not much difference? Leave the amp set to the .75V input sensitivity, leave the speakers on the 8 Ohm taps and party on. If the PG lamps ain't flashing once every 30 seconds or so, you're simply not playin' that shit loud enough.
thanks for the help...should i leave the amp gains up all the way too....it seems it will go a little louder but i turned it down when i seen it just bump the pg. also since my kenwood is 1.2v iam i getting all out of that amp, or when
i get my new pre amp with a matching 2.5v will i notice the difference

Last edited:
thanks for the help...should i leave the amp gains up all the way too....it seems it will go a little louder but i turned it down when i seen it just bump the pg. also since my kenwood is 1.2v iam i getting all out of that amp, or when
i get my new pre amp with a matching 2.5v will i notice the difference
Leave 'em cranked all the way up and have fun. When you see the PG lamps flashing 20% of the time on average, you're ready for more power . . . About the only downfall of using the MC2255 for continuous party duty is that it doesn't have much heat sink comparatively speaking to other similarly powerful amplifiers. Conceivably, the amp could shut down for a short period of time if the heat sink temperature exceeds that of the protection circuitry.

Fortunately, the MC2255 has a bigger brother and they call it the MC2500 . . . and when that gets old, a pair of MC2500s can be used in mono for 1,000wpc.

Now, put on some Owner of a Lonely Heart and let us know how it sounds on those CVs cranked!

i will be cranking them up fri nite lol... so in short, 137watts my old amp... distorted will always be louder the 250watts not distorted... i have alot to learn.... i was under the impression that, since my kenwood is only 1.2v..it would never be enough to push my mc amp 2.5v to its full power..hence wanting a mc pre amp thats 2.5v lol thanks again

i will be cranking them up fri nite lol... so in short, 137watts my old amp... distorted will always be louder the 250watts not distorted... i have alot to learn.... i was under the impression that, since my kenwood is only 1.2v..it would never be enough to push my mc amp 2.5v to its full power..hence wanting a mc pre amp thats 2.5v lol thanks again
Hard to say on that first question. Your preamp will never reach its rated output voltage playing music. Test tones maybe, but not music. Same for any preamp. The output voltage is simply a measure of how much voltage a given preamp can output when reproducing a sine wave.

Leave 'em cranked all the way up and have fun. When you see the PG lamps flashing 20% of the time on average, you're ready for more power . . . About the only downfall of using the MC2255 for continuous party duty is that it doesn't have much heat sink comparatively speaking to other similarly powerful amplifiers. Conceivably, the amp could shut down for a short period of time if the heat sink temperature exceeds that of the protection circuitry.

Fortunately, the MC2255 has a bigger brother and they call it the MC2500 . . . and when that gets old, a pair of MC2500s can be used in mono for 1,000wpc.

Now, put on some Owner of a Lonely Heart and let us know how it sounds on those CVs cranked!
sry I have so many questions...when you say it needs more power...? how much different will it sound with the matching pre amp

they sound great...

Back
Top Bottom