MCS Speakers Any Good?

Eddle

"The Kid"
2" Inch tweeter
4" Midrange
2 12" Woofers at the bottom of each box
Any Good?
242u80h.jpg

They sound perfectly fine, i just want to know how old they are and if they're worth the 80$ i payed.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are "OK", the phased aligned "stepped" models would be the better ones made by Technics/ Panasonic.
DC

MCS was a JC Penney brand as you probably already know. I think the brand was launched in the early 1980s or a few years earlier. Your speakers look like mid-80s speakers to me.

Some of the gear that was sold with the MCS name on it was very nice. Much of it really "flies under the radar" compared to more well known names.

I would say that the speakers do not turn up very often. However, I have a pair of MCS/Penney's 3-way speakers that sound very nice for what they are. They are not fancy, and the light weight would ordinarily be a warning sign. Yet there is no denying that the ones I have sound great.

$80 was probably a bit high, though they look to be pretty well made and in excellent shape. If you like the way they sound, that is the only thing that matters.

MCS was a JC Penney brand as you probably already know. I think the brand was launched in the early 1980s or a few years earlier. Your speakers look like mid-80s speakers to me.

Some of the gear that was sold with the MCS name on it was very nice. Much of it really "flies under the radar" compared to more well known names.

I would say that the speakers do not turn up very often. However, I have a pair of MCS/Penney's 3-way speakers that sound very nice for what they are. They are not fancy, and the light weight would ordinarily be a warning sign. Yet there is no denying that the ones I have sound great.

$80 was probably a bit high, though they look to be pretty well made and in excellent shape. If you like the way they sound, that is the only thing that matters.

Alright, i only payed 80$ due to the excellent condition so do you reccomend me reselling them? or what?

Hi - welcome to Audiokarma!

I'm a BIG believer in 1 particular concept when it comes to value ...

Do YOU like the way they sound.
Ultimately, its about your system and your ears.

You can get into a flurry of buying and selling -
but that becomes its own thing and you lose sight of the whole point of it!
Its really about the music and how you enjoy that!

They certainly look nice - so ... do you enjoy listening to your music on them?

Another question would be -
what is the other gear you will be using with them??

Alright, i only payed 80$ due to the excellent condition so do you reccomend me reselling them? or what?
If you like the way they sound, by all means keep them. :) That is the only thing that really matters.

2nd most important thing; WAF

If they sound good to you they are good!

Godd news is that the woofer surrounds look good, no rotting foam

Any good? Not especially. But live and learn. It's all a learning experience. At one point, we've all bought speakers that we perhaps shouldn't have. As you acquire expertise, you will know what to buy and what to avoid. Getting feedback from this site before purchasing is always a good idea.

I'm a BIG believer in 1 particular concept when it comes to value ...
Do YOU like the way they sound.
Ultimate, its about your system and your ears.
If you like the way they sound, by all means keep them. :) That is the only thing that really matters.

I beg to agree to disagree on the comments above.

I used to have MCS time align speakers and I liked the way they sounded.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=401888

I used them as my mains and was very happy with them.
Before that, I had a Philips HTIB system.

However, when I got my Polk monitors, then I knew how bad the MCS sounded in comparison. I got the Polks for same amount I paid for MCS. I sold the MCS within a week.

So just because you like the sound doesn't mean they are good.
It all depends upon what you have for comparison and what you are using the speakers for.
For party, they'll be great but for critical music listening, you have to have something to compare with.

But that just means you educated your ears ...

Nothing wrong with that - but that can get really expensive.
I know my tastes have changed many times over the years as my ears got better tuned -

The point is - HE needs to hear something that takes him in a different direction -
us telling him what is good isn't productive.

I've gotten completely WRONG guidance from web folks on occasion -
they are not mean, they are just stuck on something they own and can't be impartial.

Last edited:
So just because you like the sound doesn't mean they are good.
It all depends upon what you have for comparison and what you are using the speakers for.

Then by your own definition, the NLA and Polk Monitor10 are bad.

I owned both NLAs and Monitor10s and liked them both very much. Then I found a pair of KLH Six. By comparison, the NLA and Monitor10 were both found lacking and were sold.

Now, I don't believe for one minute that the NLAs or Monitor10s are bad speakers, just that I like the sound of something different. By my definition, if I like something then it's good. If you like something different, then it's also good. If the OP likes something else entirely, it's still good.

The point is - HE needs to hear something that takes him in a different direction -
us telling him what is good isn't productive.
Yes and I'm not saying OP's speakers are bad.
They are pretty decent and for $80, they can rock the house.

Just wanted to mention sound quality depends upon what you have had before.
Before I got the MCS speakers, I had Philips HTIB and in comparison, MCS sounded much better and was easy to sell for much more than I paid for. :yes:

I totally agree with everyone. Lol. Truly though if they sound better than what he's currently using and he likes them keepem. When he hears or finds something he likes better, sellem. I know I'm fixing to get bashed but I love my HPM 100's. Liked them better than my AR 3a's which I just sold. I'm still searching and will continue, but its what I like and consider thats important to me. I still listen and search. Always open minded.

If it were me I’d pass them up. The “if it sounds good to you that’s all that matters” thing is a fuzzy precept that is valid to a limited and admittedly undefined extent. This is not one of those cases where it works. I have heard these speakers. They are not even remotely connected to the concept of high fidelity.
At a minimum, one should seek the lowest distortion and widest range equipment that fits personal financial and physical constraints. From there let the subtle nuances that you may prefer guide your choices.

Last edited:
Sure - but he already bought them and NOW is asking "Are they worthy".
Well, they are not $80 JBL L80Ts or other wonder deals of note -
they are old JCPennys boxes ... but they do look clean.
Too many folks here wrongly assume that if its not a killer score, its not any good.

Maybe someone local to Sarasota can help him find some good speakers for the money?

Last edited:
Before these jcpenny speakers i had two 4" sony computer speakers i cut off the ends and hooked em to a sony reciever, not the smartest idea i use my speakers for listening to music, and casual movies, i also have 2 klipsch bass reflex speakers, and 2 mcs 4" Rear speakers also in consideration my room is very small.

A lot of the MCS stuff flies under the radar. I do like the woodwork on those speakers. As for sound, if you like them, that is all that matters.

Why do so many people ask if a certain speaker is any good?
Are they DEAF. Can't they decide for themselves from their own listening experience?

Back
Top Bottom