member solutions / finds on how to navigate the new AK forum software

mech986

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
In the absence of reading the owners manual or getting a new Xenforo software tutorial, please post your found solutions for getting around. if you have a question, post it too. Please post commentary in one of the other threads about the new site migration.

Can't do a quote of another post and all the smileys are gone. The new look beheaded my avatar!:eek:

Resize your avatar to fit correctly, a small glitch. As for quoting, hit the reply button on the post and it autoquotes you like above. haven't found multiquote though. oh wait, hit the reply in another post, and it come to the bottom reply box too. See below.

Ok, I Found out i can click on my avatar and get location and posts Etc.

By the way, Big Thanks to the folks That Bust their Butts to keep this Show on the road.

Multiquote works decently.

Is there a way to see old posts or threads from before the change? I found clicking on my handle just shows brand new posts and no threads at all.

Is there a way to see old posts or threads from before the change? I found clicking on my handle just shows brand new posts and no threads at all.
The indexer is currently working its way through december 2006. Anything from then or before will show up under your posts, or in the search. Each time I search, a few mores posts come up. I haven't can't view any old threads under "threads started" yet.

I found a workaround for the search. Go to google advanced search. Search the site mail.audiokarma.net . That redirects to the audiokarma.org, but if you search it directly the link is broken.
I found a few of my threads that way by searching my user name and model number of the unit.

If you're looking for your watched (subscribed) threads and watched forums, go to upper right at your user name, left click for pull down menu, then choose the appropriate "watched" link on the left column under you're account.

Have not figured out how to find posts I have commented on and posts I have started. I know it has to be somewhere. I am getting too old for changes.

For posts - go upper right to your user name, left click to get pull down menu - choose "Your content" from the right column - it will put up a list of all your posts - however, be aware that before today, the search may not give you a lot of recent or near recent posts until the system finishes indexing old threads. That may take some time.

As for threads you started, still working on finding that.

For member details click on their avatar, post count,join date, location, likes, points, where they are at on the site and link to profile.

Good thinking to get this started, it should be a sticky for a while.

If you're looking for your watched (subscribed) threads and watched forums, go to upper right at your user name, left click for pull down menu, then choose the appropriate "watched" link on the left column under you're account.
There is a watch function just above the OP at the right, this one you can set email alerts.

Since @4-2-7 suggested I repost this here... ;)

Privacy TIP!

I saw a few posts about profile "privacy." I'm sure the gang is working on that now (there are default privacy settings that can be changed), but what you can do in the meantime is adjust your privacy preferences in your profile.

Go to the upper right corner, click on your username, which brings up your menu. Click "Privacy." This gives you a list of features, and who can see (or use) them.

"All visitors" is the choice where everyone, logged in or not (including the entire Interwebz) can see the info.
"Members only" means that all members can see the info, but not the public Internet.
"People you follow only" will show your info only to members that you follow.

The checkboxes next to each entry will turn that feature off completely, in terms of privacy. For example if you uncheck the box next to "Start conversations with you," then no member (except for staff) can send you a private message.

upload_2015-10-6_1-15-57.png

(That is a screen shot from one of my own XenForo forums, so no, that "A&M tan" color on the left does not appear here at AK. ;) )

As for threads you started, still working on finding that.

One helpful hint (albeit temporary) many forum features such as threads you've started, posts you've made, new posts forum-wide, etc., are all powered by the forum's search engine. So, if that is not fully set up, or the indexes are being rebuilt, that data will not appear.

When it does work, however, you can find this information on your profile page ("Find all threads by _____"):

upload_2015-10-6_1-21-12.png

Multiquote works decently.

Neat XenForo trick. Go into any post in this thread, right now, as you see it. Highlight the text with your mouse. You should see a small balloon pop up with the word "Reply" in it. Click that, and it will copy that text, properly quoted, into the quick reply window at the bottom of the page.

upload_2015-10-6_1-26-32.png

Everyone do your privacy, anyone on the net can see your info.
^ This!! I should have stressed that. It's likely on the list to be "fixed" but for now, yes, secure those profiles if you aren't comfortable with the default settings!

If you reply to a thread, you can automatically "watch" the thread. You can turn this off in your account settings (see Alert Preferences in your user menu--you get a lot of control over your alerts). But for previous threads you followed on vB, I don't think that imports over...but don't quote me on it. (I haven't converted a vB forum in three years, and things could have changed in the meantime.)

Neat XenForo trick. Go into any post in this thread, right now, as you see it. Highlight the text with your mouse. You should see a small balloon pop up with the word "Reply" in it. Click that, and it will copy that text, properly quoted, into the quick reply window at the bottom of the page.

View attachment 629413

Nice!!

Everyone do your privacy, anyone on the net can see your info.

^^^ This!
a070.gif

I posted this in another thread, but if we are putting usage tips here, I'll add this one.

Private conversations replaces private messages. You can find this via the Inbox link at the top right corner of the forum. If you want to start a conversation with another member, though, there is an easier shortcut: click their avatar or username. This opens up the member card. You'll see there is a link to start a private conversation--click that, and you're good! To borrow the post right above mine:

upload_2015-10-6_9-53-6.png

The feature is called "private conversations" for a reason. Since the idea of individual private messages is rather clumsy--to follow an entire conversation meant clicking on numerous posts (in a lengthy exchange). A private conversation, instead, is like a private thread between two or more members; every message in the exchange is in one place.

One question we get often on other XF forums: how do I delete a private conversation? There is a link to "Leave the conversation." This will not delete it from the server, as the other party or parties in the conversation may still want to retain it. This does, however, remove it from your private conversations list. Once all participants in a private conversation leave it, however, it is then deleted from the database permanently.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-6_9-53-25.png
    upload_2015-10-6_9-53-25.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 2
The conversation method above is bacicaly a rolling text and mostly is replacing the chat room.

I wonder if you can add members after you have it rolling?

The conversation method above is bacicaly a rolling text and mostly is replacing the chat room.

I wonder if you can add members after you have it rolling?

It depends how it is set up. Most admins set up a forum so only a limited number of members can be in a private message or personal conversation. The way XenForo stores a private conversation is, in essence, a private thread, and only one copy exists on the server. More efficient, I would think any number of participants could be allowed in private conversations without affecting storage or loading times.

Over on the righthand side, there is a link to "Invite more", at the bottom of the window with the conversation participants:

upload_2015-10-6_10-19-39.png

Here is the "leave conversation" link I mentioned earlier--it is at the top of the message, with other options. This "deletes" it from your conversation list:

upload_2015-10-6_10-20-45.png

When you want to work on more than one conversation at a time, click the checkbox, and this window will pop open:

upload_2015-10-6_10-23-12.png

The drop-down selector has several options available for managing messages.

One final neat feature--at the bottom of the conversation list is a small tab:

upload_2015-10-6_10-24-45.png

Click to expand:

upload_2015-10-6_10-25-33.png

Here you can select a username and show conversations started by, or received by, that member. Your other conversation options are at the top of the page:

upload_2015-10-6_10-26-49.png

Starred conversations are a way to bookmark conversations you want to locate quickly. The others are self-explanatory.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom