meridian 596 DVD player DVD ROM replacement?

Ramseybella

AK Member
Well after two years the rom is getting on the tired side and was wondering what is the replacement DVD ROM?
Surely must be a better ROM's out on the market that can replace this common box.
I searched and found no DIY chat or videos.

How did this go for you? I just bought one of these units, and it produces static on CD playback, with no time display. DVD section works fine though, still troubleshooting but thinking perhaps the laser is failing.

pics make it look like a standard old computer drive. what do the connections on the back side look like? If its SATA or standard ATA then I'd expect any drive from a computer with appropriately matching connections would get it done. They're standard dimensions and mounting. old style ATA might be a little more difficult just because of age though. That hasn't been the standard in a long time.

Well I found the meridian hideout. And indeed you are correct it’s just a pata connection drive. Will dig further but seems a community of folks doing the swap. Some cheaper alternatives with most recent firmware aswell. Now I just wish I could confirm my static is and issue with the laser reading the the cd layer.

Its truely just a dvd/version rom, I pulled a dvd writer rom out to replace with this one which has been documented to work. However it has a noisy tray and I’m being shipped a replacement. I’m this case it’s a Toshiba Ed-sm1213

Attachments

• BAFC4ADF-B908-4E14-A26E-E2869D28C7C8.jpeg
    BAFC4ADF-B908-4E14-A26E-E2869D28C7C8.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom