The Spin Doctor
Subscriber
Artist: Metallica
Title: Death Magnetic
Year: 2008
Label: Warner Bros
Genre: Metal/Hard Rock

First, Before all the haters chime in, Music Review is one members opinion on
a piece of music, He or she thinks other members, May or may not want to spend hard earned cash on. I only bring this up, As the LP is getting trashed in my other thread the last couple of weeks. Now, Back to business. Yes the levels are way up, My spectrum analyzer level meters were about pegged, And that only happened one other time(Nickelback's All The Right Reasons). That being said, It is not unlistenable. We had some friends over for a listening party, And got generally good feedback on the cd. I played it about as loud as I ever subjected my speakers to, And had no Clipping/Distortion issues. Since I had it, I ripped the store cd, And burned it useing SRS Labs Compression/Decompression software(Your basically EQ'ing the music onto the copy). It improved the sound, But as I said, I had no complaints with the store copy. The guitar work on the disc is way over the top, Hemmett/Hetfield really have a feel for what the other is doing. If Hetfield is'nt one of the best rhythm players out there, In any genre, Who is? Vocally, He also was on his game. Cynide, The best track IMO, Really showed the mans talents, Guitar wise, And at the mike. The drum tracks were so, so, But there is so much going on else where, I got used to it. I like the LP, I need to hear it a few more times, There is alot to digest here. Just breaking down the Guitars will take awhile. BTW, Death Magnetic, Moved 490K, In 4 days, Billboards 3rd fastest mover in 08. These guys still have a ton of followers. People still want to Headbang out there, And Metallica can still "Bring It".
Reviewed with a Carver A790x/TFM-45--Pioneer HPM 100's/700's/Marantz CD5003 CDR.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I've been curious about it. Your reviews helps a lot.

Thanks much! I like to get out the word on music I listen to. There are a few Rockers on AK. Hopefully a review here and there helps make up a mind on some music now and again.:yes:

How would you rate it as compared to the pre St. Anger recordings?

Does it sound like the old Metallica we know and love? I hated St. Anger to be blunt.

Glad you liked it NFS, I'm pretty keen to hear it myself, but since new CD's are $30 down here, its a bit of a gamble if you are 50/50 on the purchase. Good to get another opinion on the production of it too.

I know the Black album is your fave Metallica, how does it stack upo to that for you?

Does it sound like the old Metallica we know and love? I hated St. Anger to be blunt.

Not to be the negative one here, but I think this one is as bad as St. Anger. I gave a mini review of "The Death" here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181060&page=4

Metallica has been over for 15 odd years and this new "effort" just confirms this. I don't understand the references of this new one being like their old stuff (although St. Anger was referenced that way as well), except maybe for Kill Them All, in that like that cd this one sounds awkward and immature, like they haven't found their sound yet much less perfected it (and Kill Them All is definitely the superior album). The good thing about this album is that most of the songs are long, and the bad thing is that most of the songs are long as well (i.e. endless and meandering with no coherent structure or even decent playing much less forceful long solo's and incredible build ups). I long for the days of Lightning, Puppets, and Justice...but those days are 20 odd years gone and they're never coming back. :no:

My advice: Do what I did, find some good quality free mp3's to listen to before you buy, or borrow the cd from someone and listen to it several times. If you don't like the music it doesn't matter how good the recording is made to sound by your tweaks or alternative formats, you're not going to like it, so make sure you do before you hand over your money to a band just because of their name. Good music stands on it's own regardless of how well it is recorded, and that's why many of us listen to less than perfectly recorded albums from the bands we love because we find the music so compelling, forceful, and meaningful to us.

So in sum, I give the album a generous C-, Cyanide is the only decent song, and if I want to listen to good Metallica I'll do what I've been doing since '91: listen to their output from '83 to '91. They had 8 good years, 5 good albums, the rest is forgettable aside from a few good later songs or alternative versions.

PS: I mean no offense to anyone who enjoys this album (such as the OP...and thanks for the review and tips on improving the sound :thmbsp:), I think it's wonderful when anyone finds a connection with music whether it's Vannilla Ice or Led Zep., and as music preference is totally subjective, my opinion (or anyone else's), shouldn't matter to those who differ. I just wanted to offer an alternate view of this album before someone undecided spends their money on it and perhaps later regrets their decision.

The songs are good, There is a lot of speed in the music, But it's not just for the sake of playing fast, The songs kind of shift gears, As they go along. It's a fun LP, In terms of it's like a roller coaster ride. Your up, Your down. Another thing is the tracks are pretty long, So If your listen at a semi-high volume, Your worn out! The sign of a good metal record. I don't even own St. Anger, But have listened to it, No solo's on the LP, Can't spend money if there are'nt any cool Guitar solo's. It's really not like anything they've tried, So it's hard to compare it to there other stuff. Think the speed of the first 2 LP's, The song writing and vocals of the black album, And the solo's of Load.

Glad you liked it NFS, I'm pretty keen to hear it myself, but since new CD's are $30 down here, its a bit of a gamble if you are 50/50 on the purchase. Good to get another opinion on the production of it too.

I know the Black album is your fave Metallica, how does it stack upo to that for you?

Well, It's not the Black album, That was kind of a "Lightning In A Bottle" kind of thing. Personally, Death Magnetics production has a few issues, Bass Guitar a bit buried, Drums having a weird "Ring" to them. On the positive side, It is a try at something new, And Hammett/Hetfield, In the end, Save the day. This may not be the best they've ever put out, But the music has a lot going on, And for me anyway, Is fun to listen to.

:scratch2:

It wears my ears out even at lower volumes.

The cd lacks punch and clarity. Not a good sign for a metal album.

For me, It's just the reverse, It's almost too much of both. I'm using the EQ settings I always use for "High output CD's, That is, On EQ #2, Speaker levels are dropped across the board 2-4db. Just about any Rock/Metal disc I've bought since 06, Is played on these settings IE; Both the last 2 Distubed(10,000 Fists forced me to do this), Also Audioslave/Priests Angels Of Retribution, And any Nickelback(Whos levels are way worse than Death Magnetics). On my rig, There is plenty of bass drum thumping, Good vocals and guitars up front. When I said worn out, I meant in terms of picking apart all that was going on, It was being played LOUD, And that wears you down after awhile.

I just had a look for some tracks to listen to to make up my own mind and stumbed across Fade to Black, I think I need to get a new copy of Ride the Lightening

Lack of dynamics at both ends of the sound spectrum. It's a sonic mess, bro.

Ken
It does lack clarity and dynamic range since it is super compressed/brickwalled to the max.

When I first played the cd, I thought my system was messed up. I thought my nice B & W's speakers were messed up or I had a blown speaker. Nope, it was the sonic wall of distortion present on all the tracks.
I do like alot of the songs on the album, but I just can't even listen past two tracks before I get a headache and listening fatique.

I'm happy with the Guitar Hero 3 rips I've listened to, though.

Has anyone purchased it on vinyl. I wonder if it also suffers from volume overload.

I picked it up this week on cd and yes it is a very loud recording. WTF?? Doesn't sound too bad but would sound a hell of a lot better if it had more dynamics.

The songs are excellent. Older style Metallica for sure. :thmbsp:

Has anyone purchased it on vinyl. I wonder if it also suffers from volume overload.
I'd really like to hear it on vinyl. A friend brought his CD over a few days ago and I just couldn't take it. By the third song I thought my ears were bleeding. I'm not talking about the music but the compression! Just way over the top. Too bad. May be the vinyl is better?

May be the vinyl is better?

I've heard they are cut from the same master tapes, and that it's a little better sounding. I wouldn't expect it to be much better than the cd. Some of the tunes are pretty good, but not good enough for me to pay the extra bucks for the vinyl version. YMMV.:smoke:

Wow, Mac-only software :( Don't see that all too often these days from 3rd party companies. It looks like they haven't made a new version in a while it only requires iTunes 6. I'm not usually a fan of audio manipulation but to correct fumbles like Metallica's albums it seems ok.

Back
Top Bottom