Miata owners....appreciate your thoughts!!

Hard to find a nicer example. My dad has a red '92 soft top, enjoys it in nice weather and he just turned 80 this past November. They are fun to drive around his lake place, and they do love to rev.

Life is short - sounds like you’d enjoy it, so you should get one.

That one you posted pics of sounds like a nice one to consider. I’ve had two - a ‘95 that installed a Jackson CAI system and should never have sold, and later bought a ‘92 that wasn’t in as good a shape but was still fun.

I’d like to get another at some point, maybe when my daughter goes off to college and we can get rid of one of our current cars.

But they are a lot of fun and with the one you’re considering being in such great shape - if you take care of it, you’ll likely be able to sell it when the time comes for a decent price.

After 28yrs, the depreciation has to be minimal at this point!

Post if you do pick one up!

Hard to find a nicer example. My dad has a red '92 soft top, enjoys it in nice weather and he just turned 80 this past November. They are fun to drive around his lake place, and they do love to rev.

Very cool your dad is still enjoying his!

Life is short - sounds like you’d enjoy it, so you should get one.

That one you posted pics of sounds like a nice one to consider. I’ve had two - a ‘95 that installed a Jackson CAI system and should never have sold, and later bought a ‘92 that wasn’t in as good a shape but was still fun.

I’d like to get another at some point, maybe when my daughter goes off to college and we can get rid of one of our current cars.

But they are a lot of fun and with the one you’re considering being in such great shape - if you take care of it, you’ll likely be able to sell it when the time comes for a decent price.

After 28yrs, the depreciation has to be minimal at this point!

Post if you do pick one up!

Thx .... I will.
He's not far off on his pricing based on other 1990's I have found in the country .... most with much higher mileage and not nearly in the same condition.

I should have mentioned this is not a local car.....meaning it's a few provinces over. And purchasing something like this at a distance is a little unnerving. He is a professional (actually born and raised in Winnipeg where I live) and seems like a stand up chap.....we'll see.

With the factory hard top, I'm pretty certain you have no rust issues. Mine are directly behind the door pillars, bottom quarter panel. It's where water is supposed to drain, but sitting with a ripped top for 2 years did mine in. Doesn't affect driveability, as it is just the sheet metal in front, but I'd doubt that thing has any rust whatsoever.

Don't wait too long.......it isn't that far for me to go snag, lol.

That's a lovely car, JDM Fans loves them, they are FUN, I use to drive one of those and boy can cut corners beautifully.
Rear wheel drive, manual, 50/50. :naughty:.... Miatas Rocks!

If you're worried about valuation, you could always go to Bring a Trailer dot com and check what Miata's have been selling for on their site. They've had a number of cars go thru there that would be good comparisons.

If you're worried about valuation, you could always go to Bring a Trailer dot com and check what Miata's have been selling for on their site. They've had a number of cars go thru there that would be good comparisons.

Great site - thanks!!

Given that it is nearly 30 years old, you should certainly have that '90 checked out. But based on your description and the photo, wow, what a car! The hard top is the icing on the cake. They are a pain to store when not in use but if you find that irritating I'm sure someone will be delighted to take it off your hands for a substantial price. Your only problem will be that if it all checks out as nice as it sounds, you will be torn between using it and keeping it as a museum piece. There cannot be many still in existence like that.

This is a gentlemen with a few toys....of the highest calibre. Not meaning expensive necessarily but lovely examples of whatever it is.

He has spared no expense in caring for this car....last year even spending a ton on a full detailing of the car including a ceramic coating. He states there is not a single stone chip on the original paint.

Not sure he'd make that up since he would personally be delivering the car to us in spring.
We continue to exchange details and a few more pics ..... here are a couple with the rag top showing partially. The plastic window in the top is not faded or scratched.

He will be sending me a few pics of the undercarriage today.
The conversation continues.

Your only problem will be that if it all checks out as nice as it sounds, you will be torn between using it and keeping it as a museum piece.

:) ..... that is the conundrum sometimes isn't it! Maybe better to buy one with a few dents and scratches....would care a little less and be less cautious!!

Stop with the photos already, you're killing me! Kidding, of course, but that car is nominally exactly what I would wish for. Love the color and those first gen models are so revered. My recollection is that the really early cars came with just a few option packages, one being power windows, etc? I know I always thought at the time that the simpler, the better. If it all works out for you, do keep us posted when she comes home.

Stop with the photos already, you're killing me! Kidding, of course, but that car is nominally exactly what I would wish for. Love the color and those first gen models are so revered. My recollection is that the really early cars came with just a few option packages, one being power windows, etc? I know I always thought at the time that the simpler, the better. If it all works out for you, do keep us posted when she comes home.

Sorry!! :beerchug: .....this was ordered with Package A .... alloy wheels and Power Steering - simple indeed!
If we do end up buying I will keep you posted.

Two time NB owner. Also an ex-motorcyclist.

Outside of the crankshaft issue, the NAs are fine.

The NB gives you a little bigger engine. If you can find an SE, you get all the goodies. Torsen diff, 6-speed, leather, NARDI wheel, bigger brakes, etc.

FWIW I also owned a Boxster S for a few years and $ for $ the Miata is "better" IMHO. The Porsche is faster, and costs more, but cars with horses on the hood are kind of cool.

Like James said, you can run it wide open and shift at the redline all day long. Try that with the Porsche and they will be pealing you off a guardrail.

Miatas have it all over any of the classic British or Italian roadsters. All you have to do is normal maintenance. You don't have to be a master mechanic, or rich, to own and enjoy one.

Good luck and enjoy...

Two time NB owner. Also an ex-motorcyclist.

Outside of the crankshaft issue, the NAs are fine.

The NB gives you a little bigger engine. If you can find an SE, you get all the goodies. Torsen diff, 6-speed, leather, NARDI wheel, bigger brakes, etc.

FWIW I also owned a Boxster S for a few years and $ for $ the Miata is "better" IMHO. The Porsche is faster, and costs more, but cars with horses on the hood are kind of cool.

Like James said, you can run it wide open and shift at the redline all day long. Try that with the Porsche and they will be pealing you off a guardrail.

Miatas have it all over any of the classic British or Italian roadsters. All you have to do is normal maintenance. You don't have to be a master mechanic, or rich, to own and enjoy one.

Good luck and enjoy...

This gentleman also has a Datsun 240z .... '65 Mustang and a TR6 ..... said if he didn't this would not be going anywhere. Really he purchased it because his wife loved it....and he purchased one of the very first Miata's to hit Winnipeg in late 1989 so knew the attributes of the car.

He says the same thing.....for sheer driving fun there isn't a better car of any he owns.

Thx

....and good because I am not a mechanic by any stretch or rich :)

Last edited:
Wife loves her's. Took it out for a ride this afternoon after a polish and wax. Lovely South Carolina winter day.

IMG_0406.jpg

Not a lot to go wrong with the Miata. Keep the drains clean and use quality fluids and filters. Keep the routine maintenance up and they'll last.

Well after a lot of thought and research we decided to go a little old school and purchase the 1990 Miata you see in this thread....it's snuggled in this heated warehouse (where the owner keeps his other "toys") and will be delivered to us by the owner in Spring. He is from Winnipeg originally where my wife and I live so he will drive it out.

Excited about finding this gem and looking forward to some fun this summer!
One dream ended (riding motorcycles) and another begins :)

Thx for all your feedback!!

Back
Top Bottom