Mick Taylor

pezzzzx

Watching "Ladies and Gentleman the Rolling Stones" re. The 1972 U.S. Tour.
I am amazed at what an incredible guitar player Mick Taylor is. 23 years old at the time. Amazing

Mick Taylor's self titled 1979 album is a favorite. What a great talent.

cubdog

I was at the Madison Square Garden show! It was the first time tickets were given out on a lottery basis. Stevie Wonder opened for them and came on to sing "Satisfaction"

I've seen the Stones twice and he was with them both times. He's played on arguably some of their best LPs.

I've got his S/T LP, but haven't played it for years.

MT stepped into some BIG shoes & @ a BIG ROLE and came through very well AND improved the sound of The Stones. I cherish RS ROIO recordings circa 1960-1972, w/ slightly less enthusiasm for the '73 Tour, but not b/c of Taylor (who was better still), but for the plethora of horns, organe, backup singers, etc.

Such poise @ such an early age. A veritable Frampton. Or (template for) the Randy Rhoads to follow.

My favorite Stones album is Ya-Ya's because of Taylor and Richards. I also recommend the Brussels Affair download (sort of hard to get in the Western World legally right now) from the 73 tour. The new deluxe edition of Sticky Fingers will have some Taylor era performances (check out the special at Target right now!) and there will be a From The Vault Marquee Club DVD/CD this summer if you want more.

I read that Universal Japan will be releasing a very expensive deluxe CD Sticky Fingers set for their market that will have an actual physical CD of the Brussels Affair concert if you are really interested and have the money.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of his tone and his selection of notes, his recordings with the Stones bears that out. :yes:

It's said that he reunited with the band once (details escape), and he was overbearingly LOUD, out of balance with the rest of the instruments. :nono:

Didn't they take the time to soundcheck? More info needed on that level (and his actual levels too)... :scratch2:

The Super Deluxe (or something like that) version of "Sticky Fingers" coming out next month will have the 1971 Leeds show (full show and in stereo) where Mick Taylor really shines. Taylor adds a slinky, electric flavor to "Midnight Rambler." Check him out at 4:30...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmYfkyGh4EI

I met M T when my friend Bruce Bary played drums for Taylor at the Palomino Club in 1990.
His gee-tar playing was great but not as riveting as when he played for the Group.
I wish he would have stuck it out with my favorite band as my favorite Stones gee-tar player.

I was at the Madison Square Garden show! It was the first time tickets were given out on a lottery basis. Stevie Wonder opened for them and came on to sing "Satisfaction"

Now, THAT must have been an incredible night. "Talking Book" tour. That'd be like seeing Herbie Hancock live at the point when he was recording "Headhunters" by day (My mother saw him back in those days... Summer of '73, I think).

When it comes to Stones guitarists, my favorite is actually Keef, mainly because of his work on LIB. He was perfect. That said, I love Taylor's Bluesbreakers work. I have a hard-to-find live LP of theirs from '68 with some great Taylor highlights.

Last edited:
Now, THAT must have been an incredible night. "Talking Book" tour. That'd be like seeing Herbie Hancock live at the point when he was recording "Headhunters" by day (My mother saw him back in those days... Summer of '73, I think).

When it comes to Stones guitarists, my favorite is actually Keef, mainly because of his work on LIB. He was perfect. That said, I love Taylor's Bluesbreakers work. I have a hard-to-find live LP of theirs from '68 with some great Taylor highlights.

Yes, it was amazing! I was 18 at the time, and had been a Stones fans since "Satisfaction" first came out.

I even bought one of the now coveted tour posters of the plane flying into the sunrise. I had it for years, but it got damaged to the point of no return.

Mick Taylor can also be found on John Mayall's 70th Birthday Party DVD from a couple of years ago. The man can still play!

IMO he was the best guitarist the Stones ever had. He said he had to leave because of the excesses of that lifestyle would eventually kill him.

One of the GREATS!

Agree with all -- the Taylor/Miller years were among the Stones' most creative and productive. If you question this, go listen to the solo on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" at 4:40 and get back to me.

Back
Top Bottom