Micro Seiki Solid 5

Just picked up a Tannoy Micro TM55DD off of fleabay. A little on the pricey side, but it had the original headshell with a Shure V15 type III cartridge and an original VN35E stylus. It arrived today. Played it straight out of the box. Beautiful machine that produces magnificent sound. Sounded great with the Shure cartridge....even better when I popped a Dynavector 10x4 HOMC on it. Best of both worlds....gorgeous machine with an equally gorgeous sound.
tannoy_micro.jpg

Congrats on the great table. I had almost mint TM55DD and sold it. Wish I had held onto it...

thanks.....I love the table....I have an Audio Technica OC9 mkiii on it right now during the experimentation phase. I do have a question on the table as I don't have a service manual. Is there a "C" clip on the spindle that keeps the platter from coming off easily? I asked the person that I purchased it from to take the platter off prior to shipment, but they were unable to. I am not sure if I see a clip or not. The platter does not want to come off easily and I don't want to force it right now, but at some time I am going to want to drop a little oil down there. Anyone know? I am guessing that it is similar, if not the same, as the Solid 5, and I did see a "C" clip in the photo of the removed spindle and bearing.

My table did not have a retaining clip and the platter was no problem to remove. Maybe the clip was missing...

Excellent!
Hi.....I noticed that you had removed the spindle on you Solid 5.....among the parts in one of the photos was a "C" clip. I was where the "C" clip was used in the spindle. Was it by any chance used to keep the platter in place? Some turntables have this....one of my Elac Miracord turntables required the removal of a "C" clip from the spindle in order to remove the platter. Just wondering if the Solid 5 had the same requirement. My Tannoy Micro TM55 DD is giving me some problems in trying to remove the platter from the spindle. I don't want to force it or try any other options prior to finding out from you whether or not the Solid 5 required a "C" clip removal to remove the platter.

No the c-clip does not hold the platter down. The c-clip is installed at the bottom of the spindle. The picture is laid-out in order of installation into the bearing well (shown at the top of the photo) .... from bottom to top = c-clip > thrust plate > washer > ball bearing > spindle.

With regards to the TM55DD, I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese direct drive with a clip holding the platter down. Removing a stubborn platter is typically achieved by pulling up on the platter while giving the top of the spindle a firm rap with the plastic or wooden handle of a screwdriver, or similar object.

Check the owner's manual posted up on vinylengine for the DD-5. It also appears to be a DD clone of the Solid 5. In the trouble-shooting section it describes exactly this method. It also makes no mention of oiling the motor. It is most likely a sealed unit.

Interesting ... I just realized it appears there are 2 versions of the DD-5. The VE library shows a picture of a DD-5 with the trim running across the plinth and pitch controls on the top-left of the plinth. Then there's the version shown in the owners manual on that same page which has the trim running on the right side from the tonearm base and pitch controls on the right-front of the plinth ... just like the TM55D and Solid 5, EXCEPT, the anti-skate on the TM55DD is on the other side of the tonearm (which makes it identical to the MA-303 tonearm, I believe). That DD-5 manual on VE is actually labeled 'DD-5E'. Google shows pics of both versions.

A bit more reading (like here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/tannoy-made-a-tt.47496/) indicates Tannoy/Micro preceded Micro Seiki. I expect that once the relationship between the companies ended (only lasted 1 or 2 years), or at least once Tannoy stopped selling turntables (I believe they distributed Micro Seiki at least in the US?) ... Micro Seiki probably used up remaining parts stock to do the DD-5e and then modified the design somewhat. Heck, I bet the plinths for the Solid 5, DD5e and TM55DD are identical. That's my theory at least.

No the c-clip does not hold the platter down. The c-clip is installed at the bottom of the spindle. The picture is laid-out in order of installation into the bearing well (shown at the top of the photo) .... from bottom to top = c-clip > thrust plate > washer > ball bearing > spindle.

With regards to the TM55DD, I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese direct drive with a clip holding the platter down. Removing a stubborn platter is typically achieved by pulling up on the platter while giving the top of the spindle a firm rap with the plastic or wooden handle of a screwdriver, or similar object.

Check the owner's manual posted up on vinylengine for the DD-5. It also appears to be a DD clone of the Solid 5. In the trouble-shooting section it describes exactly this method. It also makes no mention of oiling the motor. It is most likely a sealed unit.

Interesting ... I just realized it appears there are 2 versions of the DD-5. The VE library shows a picture of a DD-5 with the trim running across the plinth and pitch controls on the top-left of the plinth. Then there's the version shown in the owners manual on that same page which has the trim running on the right side from the tonearm base and pitch controls on the right-front of the plinth ... just like the TM55D and Solid 5, EXCEPT, the anti-skate on the TM55DD is on the other side of the tonearm (which makes it identical to the MA-303 tonearm, I believe). That DD-5 manual on VE is actually labeled 'DD-5E'. Google shows pics of both versions.

A bit more reading (like here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/tannoy-made-a-tt.47496/) indicates Tannoy/Micro preceded Micro Seiki. I expect that once the relationship between the companies ended (only lasted 1 or 2 years), or at least once Tannoy stopped selling turntables (I believe they distributed Micro Seiki at least in the US?) ... Micro Seiki probably used up remaining parts stock to do the DD-5e and then modified the design somewhat. Heck, I bet the plinths for the Solid 5, DD5e and TM55DD are identical. That's my theory at least.

Thanks for the info. I agree that the MIcro Seiki DD-5, DD-5E, and the Solid 5 are very similar if not identical in many ways. I thought that the "C" clip that I saw was proably for the bottom of the spindle. I know that the methodology for removing a stubborn platter involves a sharp wrap with a wooden mallet or the handle of a large screw driver. If the bearing is sealed then there is no need for me to mess with it. The table runs silently, but lacking a service manual, I just wanted to make sure about what might be required to remove the platter.

I really do love the table and even though it was a bit pricey it did get the beautiful original headshell and Shure V15 type iii cartridge with the original vn35e stylus in pristine condition. The phono cartridge and headshell alone are almost worth what I paid for the whole machine. It runs great and it sounds great. All I need to do is buff up the dustcover a little and it will be one gorgeous machine.

Hi, I have one of these Solid 5's i just picked up and for the life of me cant see why the platter on mine is touching the plinth and therefore wont spin freely?
I cant see that there would need to be a spacer anywhere and there doesnt seem to be anything missing from the deck, but it is sitting on the timber & i am stumped.. Any ideas as to why please?

thrust plate? is that the plate surrounding the spindle? In any case heres some pics, hopefully that will explain better than my words..IMG-1427.JPG IMG-1428.JPG

If you look at my picture on page 1 of the spindle assembly pulled apart, you'll see spindle, ball bearing, washer, thrust plate and c-clip ... installed in that order in the spindle housing. I'm thinking that perhaps that thrust plate is worn, or yes, perhaps some part of the assembly is missing, and is causing the platter to ride low.

If you look at my picture on page 1 of the spindle assembly pulled apart, you'll see spindle, ball bearing, washer, thrust plate and c-clip ... installed in that order in the spindle housing. I'm thinking that perhaps that thrust plate is worn, or yes, perhaps some part of the assembly is missing, and is causing the platter to ride low.
oh yes i saw those shots, well if you look at my pictures above does it look any different to yours when fully assembled? The thrust plate on mine shows no signs of wear, im wondering if theres a spacer that sits on top of that thrust plate which the platter sits on, maybe with ball bearings in it? Otherwise the centre ring of the platter underside sits directly on that thrust plate which I cant imagine would make for a smooth ride?

I don't recall any differences. Course you're two days late in posting as I sold the turntable this past weekend. But there's no spacer on top of the spindle assembly, if that's what you're getting at. And again nothing you can see when the spindle is assembled and installed in the turntable that would be identified as a 'thrust plate'.

The only other thing that I've experienced that comes to mind is a turntable where the center spindle hadn't been oiled for a long, long time and had actually seized in the bearing well ... frozen solid and didn't turn at all. Seems the turntable continued to be used well after this had occurred to the point where the platter and spindle wore down and the platter was wobbling on the spindle.

hmm, no ok, this is just plain and simple the platter sits on the timber and thus cannot spin freely. Almost as if it werent designed for the turntable, but it looks appropriate to the other pictures of solid 5s ive seen. Im stumped.

Hmmm ... your pictures don't show any visible scratches on the plinth that line-up with the portion where the belt rides on the platter ... which I see you confirm is the part that is rubbing ... not the 'center post' rubbing on the top of the bearing well (what you called 'thrust plate').

I do however see several arc-shaped scratches in the wood plinth well outside of where the platter edge is. Was this turntable perhaps shipped with the platter sitting on the spindle and it popped off? Or maybe somehow stored so that the edge of the platter caused those scratches? Is the spindle perhaps damaged or the platter warped as a result? Does the spindle spin freely (no wobble)?

Back
Top Bottom