Military Amp?

Finjima

DSCN1827.JPG picked this up for 2 bucks at a church yard sale. any one know what this is and if it can be converted? The case alone is nice for a project. Pics!
DSCN1824.JPG
DSCN1826.JPG
DSCN1829.JPG
Has handy holes
DSCN1828.JPG

forgot to take pic of bottom plate, has the Schismatic posted. from the looks of it some one did something some time in the recent past. caps and rca jacks. no telling whats done inside yet.

on the front plate I see a AF contract and on back side I see in the fine print something about a air plane, lot of it is covered up by a rca jack.

I just love the Danger High Voltage sign on front

Kinda looks military, with the big US on the front and contractors number... some kind of PA or signal amp, that has been some what modified, as already mentioned...

From reading what little can be seen on the paper label covered up by the very badly installed RCA jacks it appears that this set probably had a microphone input and a speaker and an output to turn on an audible alarm. When an approaching aircraft engine noise level exceeded a set level the alarm would go off and the loudspeaker would also broadcast an amplified version of the aircraft noise. Sort of like an early warning system. I would much prefer a radar than this if this was how you detected the enemy approaching. Looks like a fun project.

Make a pre-amp with the case? has about the right number of holes in front for power, source, left, right, balance and volume. can be re-badged , repainted a nicer color. the pre would need a new bed made. maybe the transformers can be reused? there looks to be 4 of them. just how old are they? what is a good circuit to use?

Or how about its intended purpose,
"It is commonly believed that older, vintage electronic devices, from the time that vacuum tubes were still in use, would survive. Vacuum tubes are by definition the opposite of solid state electronics. The best available information says that vacuum tubes are not affected by EMP. Back when atomic weapons were first developed, the only electronic devices they had to work with used vacuum tubes and they were not affected."

And when someone drops a bomb and all solid state based electronics on all things become useless, the only people driving around will be using cars made prior to Electronic ignitions, alternators, etc. My neighbor has a 54 Studebaker Champion, and a 55 Olds 98. They'll be about the only cars on the road, along with every other old car with points and condenser ignitions. And yes tube gear is for the sake of arguement, immune to EMP. Last I heard the Command and control planes flown by the Air Force have tube gear as backups to the fully shielded Solid state gear. Rotary dial phones will be only phones operable. No cell phones, smart phones will become DUMB BRICKS, these new cars that do everything but wipe your a** will sit on the side of the road, with burned out electronics. computers become larger bricks, etc.

The new catch phrase after a nuke burst will be...."Digital is Dead.....Long live ANALOG"!!

Unfortunately I don't have vinyl any more, and the radio stations would not be working, so my tube gear would still be useless.

I have a post apocalyptic plan to use tube technology to electrocute the Zombie hoards.

Then I collect all the Rolex watches...

... I never said it was a well thought out plan

Come to think of it, there would be no electricity...., but emp pulses are a local phenomenon. Life with radiation would be the main concern.

Well after the meteorite hits the planet the radiation will render us immune to its effects and we will have to use tubes in our ears so we can see at night

We're looking for people who like to live in tubes and push buttons, people like you!

Back
Top Bottom