MiniDisc - An Appreciation

A very nice short documentary on the minidisc. I have a renewed interest in minidisc lately myself. I think that most audio enthusiasts don't
realize what an interesting fun and effective format those little discs are.People talk about a recent revival in cassettes. As a recording medium the
minidisc should be of a lot more interest than the cassette.It is still a hands on media that is tactile and fun to play with. Reliable and dependable
with amazingly good sound reproduction. They solve that desire for a physical media in hand. Easy to store and collect. Great portability.
Let's hear it for the long lost minidisc!

Sony put the same relentless perfectionism into MiniDisc as they did with Betamax -- they kept making improvements and adding new features to the format and its equipment, even long after it had become obvious that it would never be a mainstream success. Unfortunately many of those improvements and new features were only partially backwards compatible with older players and recorders.

I have one portable and one home audio component MiniDisc recorder, but both pre-date the advent of MDLP, and thus suffer from audible compression artifacts. To my ears, a good recording on Type II Chrome cassette tape with Dolby C NR sounded better, so MiniDisc never replaced cassette as my primary physical media audio recording format.

The guy who runs Techmoan does a great job with his reviews - I've watched pretty much all his stuff and found him to be knowledgable and pretty entertaining. I particularly enjoy the puppetry and the ironic English wit :)

I have one Sony portable MD at the moment and still enjoy the sound reproduction of it.

I
The guy who runs Techmoan does a great job with his reviews - I've watched pretty much all his stuff and found him to be knowledgable and pretty entertaining. I particularly enjoy the puppetry and the ironic English wit :)

I have one Sony portable MD at the moment and still enjoy the sound reproduction of it.
I Agree. I have him saved on my YouTube playlist. I love the minidisc format. Mdlp sounds mediocre anyway and only record in sp mode for best quality. I have multiple players and decks and even a couple of car decks as I still listen to md wherever I go

So much potential...back in 1992.

I still use my MD occasionally, but the ability to stream music has definitely reduced my usage.

Thanks for sharing.

I have quite a lot of SONY MD stuff as well, but it's long retired. My MD collection is pretty worthless as ATRAC is lossy compression, 14kHz is the limit it seems. So I had to chase the tracks again on CD, now its all good, all FLAC. Altho MD is otherwise a great portable format and handy in the field.

Back
Top Bottom