Mirage speakers $30. How did I do, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by HH-Bham, Jul 5, 2017.

1. HH-Bham

HH-Bham AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks. That is encouraging. Will keep working on them and won't set the out at the curb before contacting you.

2. Overundr1

Overundr1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Looks like you have a project that might pay big rewards in the sonics department.

3. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

HOLY CHIT! That was a score!

4. audiodogster

audiodogster AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just noticed a guy has the M-5si locallly, how do they compare to the 3si?

5. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The M5Si is an absolutely wonderful speaker. Great balance, great imaging, great everything. The M3Si is all that + 10%.

StimpyWan likes this.
  6. cmcguire

cmcguire Member

I'm thinking those staples were added by someone who couldn't figure out how to get the socks back on without wrinkling the fabric. Mine were just held on by the pressure of the top and sides. The surrounds on the mids were deteriorated on mine as well- I found it pretty easy to refoam these myself. Amazing speakers. A note on power- I have mine hooked up to an ancient 40 wpc Realistic tube amp and it seems to do the trick just fine in a pretty big room.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. cmcguire

cmcguire Member

The sizes in the Msi series scale pretty well with room size so the M5's will need a moderately large room to sound good. If they're too close to the walls you'll find they get tinny sounding because of the extra reflection of the rear facing tweeters. That's why the M7's sound better in a small room as they only have rear facing mid units. Given ok placement each speaker will have very similar sonic properties if scaled to the room properly.

8. HH-Bham

HH-Bham AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ok thanks. That is great info. I haven't gotten to these yet at some other projects jumped in front.

9. vinyl1

vinyl1 Super Member

They sound really good with a quality amp, if you can afford one. A Bryston, an Aragon, or a Pass makes them work at their peak. You want at least 200 watts a channel.

10. cmcguire

cmcguire Member

Interesting, I notice no difference between my 200 watt amp and the 40 (before driving the smaller amp too hard, of course). As an experiment I just AB'd them in my room and nope, can't say I hear a difference. Weird. In theory, why would a higher power amp yield better sound than a smaller amp at the same loudness?