Model 18 backsplash painting (behind dial glass)

monkboughtlunch

I opened my 18 up to replace a dying neon indicator light. Since I have it all torn apart to get the old neon indicator out, I'm going to repaint the metal backsplash behind dial glass since it has several scratches.

It looks like the original paint Marantz used is a matte flat black -- it almost looks dark charcoal grey. I've seen other Eighteens which used a textured (Hammered?) paint finish, but my finish is without any texturing.

The OEM Marantz paint responds poorly to a damp cloth to wipe off dust. So I'm going to use a paint that has more gloss -- like the old McIntosh black paint. This should make it easier to clean in the future (i.e. wipe off dust with damp cloth) and avoid scratches. (The Marantz doesn't completely seal the dial / backsplash area, so over time dust will work it's way into the dial glass chamber.)

I've read that Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black might be a good paint to use to acheive the McIntosh type of satin black. Thoughts?

Do you think I can just paint over the existing Marantz paint -- or would I need to sand off the old paint? Would I need primer?

Here are some photos of the metal backsplash. If you click to enlarge the first one, you can see the blemishes. Note also that Marantz appears to have glued screws on the back of the faceplate. These are what fastens the faceplate to the chassis.

IMG_8746.jpg

IMG_8740.jpg

IMG_8744.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about your 18. I was looking at one locally and it had a serious paint problem behind that dialglass along with some other issues. Check this out:

IMG_0582.JPG

I didn't buy it (yet) but was curious like you as to how to approach refinishing this piece. At least NOW I know it's made of metal!!

Thanks for the info about your 18. I was looking at one locally and it had a serious paint problem behind that dialglass along with some other issues. Check this out:

View attachment 1240353

I didn't buy it (yet) but was curious like you as to how to approach refinishing this piece. At least NOW I know it's made of metal!!

Most of the Model 18s I've seen online seem to have that textured paint on the metal backsplash as in the picture you posted. But mine is a later serial 18 (7000 serial), and it just has a smooth matte flat black (charcoal) paint.

If you wanted to refinish the backsplash to get rid of the textured paint, you could probably just sand it off and repaint it. But I would wear a mask in case there is lead in the paint Marantz used.

By the way, I have no idea why Marantz used that hammered texture. Did it provide more contrast to read the dial lettering? Was it considered artistic? And why did they move to a smooth flat matte paint in later production?

I was looking at one locally and it had a serious paint problem behind that dialglass along with some other issues. Check this out:

View attachment 1240353

You bring up a good point that never occurred to me. I had always assumed that the Model 18s that have that strange texture in the backsplash were intentionally painted that way. But you are suggesting that the paint may have originally been smooth but a problem with the paint developed over time which created those bumpy artifacts. Very interesting. Does anyone know if the bumpy texture was that way when they were new? Or did the backsplash paint Marantz use decompose over time (perhaps with exposure to humidity) leading to those strange bumps?

Last edited:
Here's a close up photo of the paint on my 18 backsplash. While it's mostly smooth, I noticed some bumps in some areas. I had recently wiped it down with a damp microfiber cloth to remove dust. I'm beginning to wonder if the matte black paint Marantz used on the backsplash is unstable with humidity/water. Alternatively, it may not have been sanded very well back in the day before it was painted by Marantz (or by an outsourced Marantz vendor).

18backsplash.jpg

I used Rustoleum Satin Black Enamel. Only cost about $4. Before and after photos below. The original Marantz paint looks like a matte flat black ( but with a dirty dishwater charcoal color), but the original Marantz paint scratches when you wipe dust off with a damp microfiber cloth.

In contrast, the Rustoleum Satin Black Enamel allows dust to be wiped off with a damp cloth in the future without any scratching and provides deeper black color so the dial glass lettering, when illuminated, will "pop" more like it is suspended in mid-air.

Below: before (original paint). Note the scratches and discolorations.

IMG_8805.jpg

Below: before (original paint). Note the scratches and discolorations.

IMG_8804.jpg

Below: after (Rustoleum Satin Black Enamel)

IMG_8860 (1).jpg

Below: after (Rustoleum Satin Black Enamel)

IMG_8843.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom