Modi Multibit Vs. Mudi Uber 2

Has anyone compared Bifrost (without Multibit) to Midi with Multibit? For the extra cost of the basic Bifrost what are you hearing from Red Book CDs and from USB?

thanks, Bob

Considering the Modi 2 Uber as a DAC for my Chromecast Audio. The CCA sounds damn good to my ears feeding my Yamaha CR-2020. Just wondering if the cost of a separate DAC would be worth it.

Considering the Modi 2 Uber as a DAC for my Chromecast Audio. The CCA sounds damn good to my ears feeding my Yamaha CR-2020. Just wondering if the cost of a separate DAC would be worth it.

I was surprised by the sound quality from the CCA as well, to the point that I'm getting another one and have not decided on a DAC for it either.

Really a great bargain at $30.

Some guys over at Head-Fi are using the CCA straight to headphones and seem quite happy doing so.

Edit: I stream Spotify Premium and Redbook material from a phone, tablet and laptop.
(And some internet radio).

Eric

I mostly use Plex to stream my own collection of flac files stored on an external hard drive to the CCA. I also use Google Music for casual listening.
I was surprised by the sound quality from the CCA as well, to the point that I'm getting another one and have not decided on a DAC for it either.

Really a great bargain at $30.

Some guys over at Head-Fi are using the CCA straight to headphones and seem quite happy doing so.

Edit: I stream Spotify Premium and Redbook material from a phone, tablet and laptop.
(And some internet radio).

Eric
So, I have a similar setup. I stream Spotify premium and Tidal HIFI/Masters to a Chromecast then go into the Schit Multibit. Doing that enables me to take advantage of the CCA's optical out and for me personally, It's been the biggest sound quality enhancement that I've added to my system. I really didn't notice the difference on Spotify as much as Tidal. Tidal streams at a higher quality, so if you're streaming high quality files then I would think that you would hear the difference. Also, I've had my Multibit for about a month now and it's definitely gotten better with time. Even the old wife commented on it and she's none the wiser. Guitars seem to sound thicker and snares seem to sound fatter. I too was pleased with the sound from the CCA but because of my "habit" I figured that I would give the Multibit a try given that it has a 14 day return policy. So if you want, you could give it a try for a couple of days and if you aren't pleased then you could always return it. From what I hear there customer service is great and if you can't tell from my rambling, I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:
So, I have a similar setup. I stream Spotify premium and Tidal HIFI/Masters to a Chromecast then go into the Schit Multibit. Doing that enables me to take advantage of the CCA's optical out and for me personally, It's been the biggest sound quality enhancement that I've added to my system. I really didn't notice the difference on Spotify as much as Tidal. Tidal streams at a higher quality, so if you're streaming high quality files then I would think that you would hear the difference. Also, I've had my Multibit for about a month now and it's definitely gotten better with time. Even the old wife commented on it and she's none the wiser. Guitars seem to sound thicker and snares seem to sound fatter. I too was pleased with the sound from the CCA but because of my "habit" I figured that I would give the Multibit a try given that it has a 14 day return policy. So if you want, you could give it a try for a couple of days and if you aren't pleased then you could always return it. From what I hear there customer service is great and if you can't tell from my rambling, I'm very happy with it.

So many options for a good DAC out there that I don't see a reason to become a Schiithead, I think I'd prefer a really neutral DAC.

Eric

So many options for a good DAC out there that I don't see a reason to become a Schiithead, I think I'd prefer a really neutral DAC.

Eric
I hear you man. This is my first real DAC with this system so I can't say if ones better than the other. But I like the Schiit

With the 15% restocking fee on the Multibit and shipping you're out of $50 after a return, something to be aware of.

Eric

There are a lot of lousy dacs out there. Schiit is not among them at the given price points. After having experienced several dacs and trying both the Modi and Bifrost dacs, I'd say that Schiit is actually a safe bet. Something I've noticed is bad mouthing coming from the retail brands and their fans, and this is to be expected. It is somewhat unfortunate, but the retail model is a rip off, and they deserve what they get for gouging customers and then giving them cheap sonically inferior products. And don't get me started on the lousy cd players they've put out for decades. This alone may be primarily why vinyl has revived.

BTW, I returned the modi and kept the Bifrost. I was not charged a restocking fee.

There are a lot of lousy dacs out there. Schiit is not among them at the given price points. After having experienced several dacs and trying both the Modi and Bifrost dacs, I'd say that Schiit is actually a safe bet. Something I've noticed is bad mouthing coming from the retail brands and their fans, and this is to be expected. It is somewhat unfortunate, but the retail model is a rip off, and they deserve what they get for gouging customers and then giving them cheap sonically inferior products. And don't get me started on the lousy cd players they've put out for decades. This alone may be primarily why vinyl has revived.

BTW, I returned the modi and kept the Bifrost. I was not charged a restocking fee.

What does this have to do with me looking for a neutral DAC?

Also, I have no intention of buying a lousy DAC.

Eric

What does this have to do with me looking for a neutral DAC?

Also, I have no intention of buying a lousy DAC.

Eric
There is info there you can take advantage of, if you so choose. Or you can remain as you are. And nobody intends on buying a lousy DAC, or a lousy anything, yet the forum certainly has its share of complaints about lousy gear.

It would have been a real bummer if you also had to pay a restocking fee after you agreed to pay more than 2x for a DAC that is functionally 90% identical to the Modi, wouldn't it?

Not really, I knew what I was getting into. Obviously I don't have to pinch my pennies these days as some do, but I don't have the deep pockets you have, buying multiple dacs so you can brag about it to strangers online.

An interesting hobby you have there.

Not really, I knew what I was getting into. Obviously I don't have to pinch my pennies these days as some do, but I don't have the deep pockets you have, buying multiple dacs so you can brag about it to strangers online.

An interesting hobby you have there.

Nah, I buy on used market at 1/2 the original price or less and sell for about the same later. My most expensive acquisition which you're referring to was about the price of your new Bifrost. And objectively, as you seem to prefer, there are many used DACs out there that sound better than Schiit entry-level multibit DACs, Bifrost including, and cost the same or less. I actually wanted to thank you, because of such dedicated Schiit promoters like yourself and the surrounding hype I was able to get rid of my Modi with almost no loss even after I paid close to retail for it after reading all these exciting reviews and eventually found no joy with it.

Last edited:
gvl, keep cycling in and out various gear. You're bound to learn something eventually, and at least you'll have lots to brag about. Interesting hobby you have there.

gvl, keep cycling in and out various gear. You're bound to learn something eventually, and at least you'll have lots to brag about. Interesting hobby you have there.

I'm done for now, I'm finally really happy with the way my system sounds, the Adcom GFP-565 pre I scored on CL last weekend was the icing on the cake. And there is really not much to brag about with my modest vintage system that I put together for about $1k total.

Lots of bad mouthing and axes being ground on what was simply a question about two different Schiit products. In the light of the OP subject, this qualifies as thread crapping from the usual sources.

More page loads - more income from the advertisements for the forum owner, it is all good.

I have the original Modi, don't know what to call it, no Uber, powers from the USB and I still use it for anything coming from the PC. The Modi Multibit I use exclusively from the Raspberry Pi3b which plays all my music library through JRiver. Before I got the Raspberry I had both DAC's tied into the PC for a while, and could play either with a computer reboot (not exactly a/b but close). I am terrible at putting flowery descriptive phrases to describe sound, but I will borrow a few that I have heard that seem to fit the Modi MB over the standard Modi.

The Multibit sounds to me to have better separation among the instruments and vocals, placing them more precisely, front to back, even up and down and between the speakers. There is what could be a certain blackness between the different sounds. It doesn't always present itself in every track either, but in certain music it really focuses on the specific instruments and vocals. This is the most obvious trait of the MB to me. Other differences such as distortion levels may be happening too, but either my system's speakers (44 years old) don't have enough resolution to bring those differences out, or they are brought out in the description above. The regular Modi sounds good, I believe a step up from the internal sound card, but I haven't compared that in quite a while so don't recall specifics.

MB is a step up from the Modi for me, but it isn't going to be something that is instantly heard by everyone who tries it. The differences will be present differently with each track, and some will be more and less pronounced. If you really have good critical listening abilities, have relatively good hearing, and a good sounding stereo I believe you will be not only able to tell the difference, but not want to go back to a lesser DAC. Of course you can always move up, to one of the better Schiit DAC's or another manufacturer and I am sure there will be differences and improvements when you do. Please keep it real however and compare apples to apples cost wise. These posts where the Modi MB are compared with $1000+ Dacs don't help someone looking for an improved sound on a budget.

As for myself, I am content with the Modi MB as a DAC I can live with for the long run. I don't have that much money to spend on audio but I do want every component to sound as good as I can make it because I do listen to music without distraction most of the time. I rarely have it on as background, where any source would do. If you just listen to music as background to other activities that distract from more focused listening then the benefits of the multibit DAC likely will be lost on you. Save your money would be my advice. The difference between the Uber and Multibit wouldn't be enough to benefit much from that type of listening.
I totally agree.
You have to have the right system to really appreciate the differences and what the Multibit has to offer.
Once you hear the differences, your more or less stuck with Multibit conversion.
Everything else sound veiled, and out of tune... particularly in the bass and midbass region.
The upper models simply give you more refinement, a more rock solid imaging, and more even response.
These are baby steps going up from the Modi Multibit, but again with the right system, clearly audible.
No sense going with a 2k DAC if your system will never let you realize the full potential of it.
Although if I was going to spend around $200 or so.. I would definitely go with a Modi Multibit..even if your current system might not realize the benifits, a future system might.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom