Modified Forte 1 Upgrades-Bob Crites Autotransformers and Titanium Tweeters

Earlier this summer, I bought a pair of Forte I in great condition at an awesome (to me) price. I've since upgraded to Crites titanium tweeter diaphragm and a new mid-horn diaphragm also supplied by Crites. This thread is awesome, but I has no monies right now to go further. If I did, I'd like an ALK bi-amp'able crossover...

(not sure why the different woofer colors, but they sound great)

23482014176_d22d1a5833_b.jpg

Different colors because one of them isn't original to the pair. I'd guess the darker one is a replacement. Or, the darker one was never saw sunlight while the lighter one got lots of it.

I am a potential new owner of a pair of Forte I speakers and just starting to read through the awesome amount of information in this thread.

Is there a an order of operations when it comes to upgrades to the Forte (drivers vs. crossovers)?

For new crossover is the recommendation to go with the B & K Type Forte?

Is it worth updating the 12" woofer to something newer?

I have some basic soldering skills but I'm mostly looking for a complete solution that I can drop in and not to be testing out individual caps and other parts.

Lastly, the dust caps on the passive radiators are smooshed in which im hoping can be fixed myself by using masking tape to pull it back into form. Hopefully this would not have noticeable impact on the sound as I would assume its very difficult to find a drop in replacement for the passive.

Just wanted to get some quick opinions while I continue to read through all the information here...

Thanks!

I am a potential new owner of a pair of Forte I speakers and just starting to read through the awesome amount of information in this thread.

Is there a an order of operations when it comes to upgrades to the Forte (drivers vs. crossovers)?

For new crossover is the recommendation to go with the B & K Type Forte?

Is it worth updating the 12" woofer to something newer?

I have some basic soldering skills but I'm mostly looking for a complete solution that I can drop in and not to be testing out individual caps and other parts.

Lastly, the dust caps on the passive radiators are smooshed in which im hoping can be fixed myself by using masking tape to pull it back into form. Hopefully this would not have noticeable impact on the sound as I would assume its very difficult to find a drop in replacement for the passive.

Just wanted to get some quick opinions while I continue to read through all the information here...

Thanks!

FIrst thing I suggest is to focus on placement in the room and listen to them a while to confirm they work for you, sonically. In other words, confirm they are keepers for you.

Next is to pull the woofer or passive to get access to the hook-up wires to the driver. Give them a clean up and make sure they connect well to the driver spades. Make sure you note how to reconnect each wire.

Next is to recheck all screws securing the drivers for tightness and see if there are any obvious air leaks. I had a passive on a Forte II where I could feel air with my hand, even though the gasket was intact and properly lined up with the driver. I used a test CD using the 50Hz track.

Anything beyond this is really not upgrades, but modifications. The Crities xover is the only drop in solution I have come across for the crossover. I modified my own using the same circuit layout but deviated from the original part specs quite a bit. Difficult to find someone willing to do such work commercially so maybe a little research and practice will get you to where you are willing to try for yourself.

The woofer was designed for this system and is a good driver. Absolutely no reason to change it out if they are in working condition.

The center dome on passives will work fine if dented. If the tape method does not get you there you can check Parts Express for a replacement dome the same size, or a little larger. Getting ones the same size should ease getting them centered on the existing glue line. Warning on this. Getting a good even glue flow is tricky. You will want to practice and try to find an turntable to allow you to hold the gluing hand steady.

FIrst thing I suggest is to focus on placement in the room and listen to them a while to confirm they work for you, sonically. In other words, confirm they are keepers for you.

Next is to pull the woofer or passive to get access to the hook-up wires to the driver. Give them a clean up and make sure they connect well to the driver spades. Make sure you note how to reconnect each wire.

Next is to recheck all screws securing the drivers for tightness and see if there are any obvious air leaks. I had a passive on a Forte II where I could feel air with my hand, even though the gasket was intact and properly lined up with the driver. I used a test CD using the 50Hz track.

Anything beyond this is really not upgrades, but modifications. The Crities xover is the only drop in solution I have come across for the crossover. I modified my own using the same circuit layout but deviated from the original part specs quite a bit. Difficult to find someone willing to do such work commercially so maybe a little research and practice will get you to where you are willing to try for yourself.

The woofer was designed for this system and is a good driver. Absolutely no reason to change it out if they are in working condition.

The center dome on passives will work fine if dented. If the tape method does not get you there you can check Parts Express for a replacement dome the same size, or a little larger. Getting ones the same size should ease getting them centered on the existing glue line. Warning on this. Getting a good even glue flow is tricky. You will want to practice and try to find an turntable to allow you to hold the gluing hand steady.
all good points do not forget to make the cabinet air tight especially the gaskets including the terminal cup and the the grill insert mounting holes fill them from the inside with some sealer as most often they are drilled all the way through. the baffle and they leak air. You want your cabinet air tight so make sure the passive dust caps are air tight as well.

Just found this thread with a search - a lot to digest. Happened across some 1985 Forte I's this weekend in great shape (circa 85). After listening have been pleasantly surprised with how good these speakers are. Never really owned vintage Klipsch before. Will take a look inside and consider upgrades down the road, but for time being am just going to enjoy them.

Just found this thread with a search - a lot to digest. Happened across some 1985 Forte I's this weekend in great shape (circa 85). After listening have been pleasantly surprised with how good these speakers are. Never really owned vintage Klipsch before. Will take a look inside and consider upgrades down the road, but for time being am just going to enjoy them.
Good plan. Listen first, then modify if warranted.

Good plan. Listen first, then modify if warranted.

For sure. I like the idea of upgrades to Titanium, but then again that will make them sound more like JBL's right? Not that I dislike JBL, have enough of them around to know. Found my set of original Fortes for free and in near mint shape. Will keep them as is.

For sure. I like the idea of upgrades to Titanium, but then again that will make them sound more like JBL's right? Not that I dislike JBL, have enough of them around to know. Found my set of original Fortes for free and in near mint shape. Will keep them as is.
The titanium diaphragms let them play beyond the stock phenolic diaphragms especially with ti mids they are capable of things the phenolic skins just cannot do. All the new Klipsch use ti diaphragms and they don't sound much like JBL but just the same I understand your concern especially if you are not a ti fan to begin with.

So... I have been listening to my Forte I's I found for free over many extended sessions. I really like them as is they are a great speaker - large sound stage, handle tons of power, smooth but not harsh, but am wondering about modifications to improve.

In my opinion, the ones I have are an easy listen in comparison to something like my stock JBL L-100s which need to be tamed with controls to make them non fatiguing.

However - the L-100's beat them out by quite a bit on bass punch. Was thinking based on specs alone that should not be the case, the Fortes I's would/should be better based on larger cab size and ratings.

So... any of the mods in the thread (I am lazy sorry and apologize for not reading thru it all on all the esoteric details of Crites titanium and crossovers) improve on the bass response?

Just to clarify - I think the Fortes are probably one of the best (if not these best) vintage speaker I have heard. And yeah I know a crossover upgrade won't improve the bass, but what the heck thought I would ask. Anyway... maybe I should check out Forte II's (larger radiator) or new Forte IIIs.

Just to clarify - I think the Fortes are probably one of the best (if not these best) vintage speaker I have heard. And yeah I know a crossover upgrade won't improve the bass, but what the heck thought I would ask. Anyway... maybe I should check out Forte II's (larger radiator) or new Forte IIIs.
I wonder if it isn't a placement issue. I have found a lot of difference with my Quartets by experimenting with placement. Also, I get a little better bass in my seated position by tilting them about 1/4". The JBL's, as I remember them way back, didn't have deep bass at all but an exaggerated bass in the 'thump' zone. Upper bass. Boom and sizzle was the term for them.

Good thoughts. I have them tilted on low riser stands (the bases on my Forte need a little repair, so I removed them). It might be amp dependent too which surprised me since they are so efficient and many run with low power. I've tried a few different amps now - really like how they sound with a Pio M91.

Got the original bases fixed up, still not attached, the Fortes just rest on top of them for now. Think I like the sound better with the original stands that what I was using.

Was A/B'ing them against some Pioneer S-T500s today, the Fortes won. Which is saying something, the S-T500s are no slouch when it comes to bass response.

Back
Top Bottom