Mog shut down April 15. Where will you go?

Yep, I'll be trying it as soon as it's available.

Their AppStudio allows third parties to provide content inside the Deezer app (just like Sonos does). Deutsche Grammophon has a classical music discovery app for Deezer. An Allmusic app would be great.

http://www.easier.com/118825-deezer-unleashes-500-years-of-classical-music.html
That is one of the things I like about Spotify. Unfortunately, the extra content is only available in their desktop app. Spotify has a Decca app and something called Classify.

That is one of the things I like about Spotify. Unfortunately, the extra content is only available in their desktop app.

Well, let's hope they realize that lots of people (like me) have abandoned their PCs for tablets. Many of the apps I use every day are nearly as feature-filled on tablets now as on PCs (Personal Capital is an excellent example), so there's hope. Many app makers, though, still optimize their apps for phones. :(

Sounds like it is similar to Google. However, it appears they have a native iPad app and a desktop app (Google is missing both).

While 30 million tracks is more than Spotify, it doesn't mean they have a better library than Spotify (which we know has exclusive deals). What makes up that extra ~10 million tracks? If it is an exclusive deal with a known label, it means something. If it is the equivalent of a dude playing bongos in his mom's basement, it doesn't mean as much. :D

I also want to see how "unlimited mp3 uploads" are implemented.

In any event, I will try it out to see how it compares to the others. Right now, all of the services are on the cusp of some major changes....Rdio 320k, Beats implementation into Apple, Spotify and Echo Nest. This is just one more thing to add to future things I will try out. :thmbsp:

BAM. :thmbsp:

LOL.

That note outa the way, a most succinct & spot on post uofmtiger.

I've got a buddy in the UK. So that's all I've got to go on regarding Deezer.

From what he's shared with me....there's nothing all that huge or earth shattering with regard to Deezer. It's dimes in...donuts out (bongos aside) compared to what we already have at our (US) disposal.

The good (fickle) news is that there is soon to be yet another music whore monger

... with it's site's set/sealed/all but delivered to the US shores longer.

[sigh] I secretly have as many reservations as I do gleeful elation s for the extra competition. I'm conundrum torn...

This is just one more brick in the inevitable wall and pop twerk that both literally and illiterately moves forward.... "whipping the Llama's ass".

Yeehaw? Dammit...I've no clue about the future of artist's rights vs. consumer's wrongs right now. Call me tomorrow mother-****ers. [/sigh]

I don't want to have to have my TV on to stream AUDIO (that's ears... not eyes). That's why I've been working hard to find a way to stream internet radio in as high a resolution and to have remote control handy.

Well, let's hope they realize that lots of people (like me) have abandoned their PCs for tablets. Many of the apps I use every day are nearly as feature-filled on tablets now as on PCs (Personal Capital is an excellent example), so there's hope. Many app makers, though, still optimize their apps for phones. :(
I agree and it is a disappointing aspect of the Spotify service (of course, they have a native iPad app, so they have more of a clue than Google.). If I want to use those features at home, I have to either be sitting at the computer or logging into the computer with Splashtop remote from my iPad. I am not sure Spotify really cares about their desktop apps, though. It is just an added feature that they have allowed.

I am definitely curious to see how these features are I implemented into Deezer. If they are available on their apps, then that is a big plus for them.

I've got a buddy in the UK. So that's all I've got to go on regarding Deezer.

From what he's shared with me....there's nothing all that huge or earth shattering with regard to Deezer.
Well, if they have unlimited uploads, a native iPad app, and a desktop app, then they have a combination that no one else has right now.

For you Sonos users, I found my local jazz station, KNTU Dallas, on Sonos Radio and am very excited. Sounds great and the music is spectacular......if you like jazz:music:

Qobuz

I'm listening to Qobuz right now. Have tried a few streaming services since MOG got consumed by mediocrity. I've got the middle tier @ 9.99 Euros/month. At today's exchange rate, that is $12.43. Their CD quality service is 19.99 Euros/month (currently = $25.86). Qobuz is not yet fully available in the US and there is the issue of their streaming service filing the equivalent of bankruptcy... So I'm listening, looking into their music holdings and waiting for the outcome. So far, I like the music that they do have but certain gaps (e.g., no EMC license) are concerns.

Tidal/WiMP is another service that I may have to try.

It is looking like $20-25/month will be subscription rate to have a viable streaming service with CD-quality content. That is not outrageous to me as long as the cable companies don't raise their rates to provide the bandwidth needed. I'm currently paying Comcast $39.95/month for Internet. That's $789.72/year for music streaming... I just bought six CDs for an average of $15.70 each. That means that I can buy 50 CDs per year for the same price as it costs me to stream whatever the streaming service has. Remember, Qubuz doesn't currently have a streaming agreement with ECM (e.g., Keith Jarrett)...

This is neither easy nor cheap...
Mike

I have Beats music and like it very much. I think people are being put off by the name change.
To me, it is much more than the name change. They got rid of the ability to continue playback when an album is finished, the radio slider, and they made it difficult to get to new releases. I like the main page with suggestions, but not enough to lose those other features.

Big thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be giving it a try.

Probably best to wait 'til they get their subscription service working. I signed up for the trial, but they won't let me in, either in Sonos or their spp. Lots of folks with same issue. Somebody messed up the launch, big time. Ticket opened with support, we'll see how good their support is...

Great support, email says everything fixed, and it is. Huge holes in their jazz catalog, despite their claim of 30 million tracks... No time to play this morning, but will report back tonite.

Great support, email says everything fixed, and it is. Huge holes in their jazz catalog, despite their claim of 30 million tracks... No time to play this morning, but will report back tonite.

I've had great tech support from Sonos also.

Thanks for the heads up on the delay/fix. I'm interested in what you have to report back tonight.

I've had great tech support from Sonos also.

This was Deezer's issue and tech support. Good to know they are so responsive, compared to what others have reported about Spotify.

Brief Search using the 'droid app on lunch break. Their entire Ella catalog is 33 albums, mostly cheapo compilations. Miles Davis' catalog doesn't even include KOB! WTF? 30 million tracks of what, exactly?!

This was Deezer's issue and tech support. Good to know they are so responsive, compared to what others have reported about Spotify.

Brief Search using the 'droid app on lunch break. Their entire Ella catalog is 33 albums, mostly cheapo compilations. Miles Davis' catalog doesn't even include KOB! WTF? 30 million tracks of what, exactly?!

If it was 30 million versions of Bobby Goldboro's "Honey", it would be a deal breaker for me. :D

Do you have hopes of it sounding better than MOG or Spotify?

Is the free trial your getting with Sonos a Premium+ one (which says "up to 320 kbps) or the Elite (which is up to 1411 kbps). I'm very interested in what 1411 sounds like. I'll be signing up soon but I don't know if the free trial is for Premium+ only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom