Monday Tunes

Broke the seal on an oldie but goodie this AM. One of my favorites back in 1976 - 77. You have to wonder what could've been.

Tommy Bolin ~ "Private Eyes"

I drove into work this morning with Frank Zappa Strictly Commercial. That's the good news. The bad news is that now I'll spend the entire day with the song Fine Girl in my head.

Fine Girl:

Well, yeah, well,

Oh yeah,
She was a fine girl
She could get down wit de get down
All de way down
She do yer laundry
She change a tire
Chop a little wood for de fire
Poke it around ... if it died down

Oh yeah,
She was a fine girl
She go up in the mornin'
She go down in the evenin'... all de way down
She do the dishes
If you wishes
Silverware too
Make it look brand new... when she get through

Oh yeah,
She was a fine girl
Outa this world

Well, yeah, well, yeah, well, yeah, well,

Oh yeah,
She was a fine girl
She could get down wit de get down
All de way down
She do your laundry
She change a tire
Chop a little wood for de fire
Poke it around ... if it died rlown

Oh yeah
She was a fine girl
With a lovely smile
With a bucket on her head
Fulla water from de well
She could run a mile

Oh yeah
She wouldn't spill a drop
It'd stay on top
Her head was kinda flat
But her hair covered that

She was a fine girl
Didn't need no school
She was built like a mule
With a thong sandal
Well, wasn't no kinda job she could not handle
She could get down ... wit de get down
All de way down

We need some more like dat, in dis kinda town
We need some more like dat, in dis kinda town

JD

Listening to Bob and Tom on the radio. Funny show. Contemplating what to cue up. Will run the 'fifth element' stereo for a while. That's the Nikko NR-1015, 85 wpc, driving the Marantz DS900 and Advent Loudspeaker. Nice, natural sounding.

Happy President's Day to all who get the holiday off.

Picked up two new albums, and giving one a listen now:

Cold Mountain Soundtrack. So far so good. Very reminiscent of O Brother Where Art Thou. Here's the lineup:

1. Wayfaring Stranger - Jack White
2. Like A Songbird That Has Fallen - Reeltime Travelers
3. I Wish My Baby Was Born - Tim Eriksen/Riley Baugus/Tim O'Brien
4. Scarlet Tide, The - Alison Krauss
5. Cuckoo, The - Tim Eriksen/Riley Baugus
6. I'm Sitting On Top Of The World - Jack White
7. Am I Born To Die? - Tim Eriksen
8. You Will Be My Ain True Love - Alison Krauss
9. I'm Going Home - Sacred Harp Singers
10. Never Far Away - Jack White
11. Christmas Time Will Soon Be Over - Jack White/Riley Baugus/Brendan Gleeson
12. Ruby With Red Eyes That Sparkle - Dirk Powell/Stuart Duncan
13. Lady Margret - Cassie Franklin
14. Great High Mountain - Jack White/Cassie Franklin/Tim Eriksen
15. Anthem - Gabriel Yared
16. Ada Plays - Gabriel Yared
17. Ada And Inman - Gabriel Yared
18. Love Theme - Gabriel Yared
19. Idumea - Sacred Harp Singers

Also picked up Sting Sacred Love. Will give you my impressions later.

JD

Just added the Cold Mountain soundtrack to my buy list the other day Jeff.

I'm now listening to one I had broke the seal on a couple days ago, but just now giving a full playback.

Scott Moody ~ "Four Miles To Rockingham". Very impressed so far, you can clearly hear James Taylor and Lyle Lovett influences. Interesting note about the CD title and front cover photo - The title of the CD comes from the stories Scott heard as a child about his great Aunt Lillian. Her picture is the front cover.

Born in Rockingham N.C. around the turn of the century. She was a wild woman during the roaring twenties. Highly educated and a great musician she became addicted to morphine somewhere along the way.

On Saturday nights she used to put on her Sunday dress and walk 4 miles to Rockingham to party all night returning home by the same route before dawn.

Gin Blossoms, New miserable experience. Playing on my most vintage vintage stereo-- the Nikko NR-1015, an OLD Technics ceedee player, and the Marantz DS900 & Advent Loudspeaker.

OK, now I'm listening to Nickelback, The Long road.

Last edited:
Well I knew I would get off track sometime today and start listening to some stuff I've had for awhile. :p:

NP: Creedence Clearwater Revisited ~ "Recollection"

Yeah I know some folks refuse to listen to this CD or go to the concerts because John didn't want to be involved and tried to put a stop to it. Doesn’t matter to me because I don't consider this to be a CCR reunion. I do consider it to be a fantastic performance. Stu Cook and Doug “Cosmo” Clifford are in true form, Elliot Easton is of course excellent on guitar, as you would expect, and John Tristao is outstanding on vocals. It’s very obvious that the group goes to great length to passionately and faithfully deliver the sound and spirit of the music and what it was about. IMO Creedence Clearwater Revisited deserves a lot of credit for keeping the music alive.

A while back I e-mailed the group to ask about the possibility of a concert DVD. Doug Clifford responded that one was in the works and would hopefully be out by summer. I don't buy many concert DVDs, but I'll grab this one.

-Dave

Haven't heard the tribute band, but have always enjoyed CCR.

I'm liking Irish bands, too, and am NP The Cranberries No need to argue.

Have switched over to the Yamaha system with the Aiwa Dolby S deck and am recording this ceedee. My 94 SHO only has a cassette player.

Music for Trumpet and orcehstra (Vivaldi, Manfredini, Torelli, Biber, and Tellemann),,Kapp label LP..

and now from EMI YMV, max Bruch's Fantaisie Ecossaise, Op,46....Itzhak Perlman and the New Philarmonia Orchstra....

all Good!

Nanci Griffith ... Flyer Thanks JDaniel

Joni Mitchell Disc 1 Travelogue

(Dave918,this is a pretty good cd,very tranquil AL

WhiteSE,
Did you see MFSL just released a "Pictures" gold sacd hybrid?
Going to have to have that one myself.

Carl

Ol' Luther sure is laying it down!

Originally posted by CarlV
WhiteSE,
Did you see MFSL just released a "Pictures" gold sacd hybrid?
Going to have to have that one myself.

Carl

Ol' Luther sure is laying it down!

I dont even have an SACD,,,do you know which version it is? (as If I cant check it online...lol:rolleyes: )

Thanks for headsup!

Originally posted by CarlV
I just opened and put on Luther Allison's Bad News Is Coming.
Very tasty so far! :cool:

Carl

Carl:

If you like that one, check out his "Live in Chicago" 2 CD set, "Soul Fixin' Man" is good too. Luther is another one those those unsung bluesmen who folks don't appreciate until it's too late. I believe he passed a few years back from cancer.

My avatar is a pic I shot of him at Summerfest in Milwaukee prolly around mid-late 70s; I think Willie Dixon played that night too, I got some of him also.

Los Lonely Boys, followed by John Mayall's " Padlock on the Blues", but I gotta hit the hay soon. My little hernia LOA ends today and it's back to work at 4:00 AM :mad:

Andy,
I only had one of Luther's before but this one I like much better,
the Live In Chicago will be next for sure. Thanks and Good Luck
tomorrow!

Carl

I had a painful drive in this morning, thanks to Jason Mraz Waiting For My Rocket To Come. I heard one song, Curbside Prophet, from this album on an acoustical disc called "Live in the X-Lounge VI", and really liked it. So I got the album last week.

12 songs, and not one I could even begin to enjoy. Not even "Curbside Prophet". The album version of this song is a jangly banjo kinda rap diddy. Horrible. Painful. Might make my top-5 worst albums I own. Instead of a desert island disc, this should be a solitary confinement disc used in prisons. "Warden, I swear, I'm reformed. Please, I'll do anything, just no more Mraz."

I'm moving on to something better, and I've never even heard some of these discs before. How do I know they are better? They have to be compared to Mraz. I just rec'd this morning the remaining "Live in the X-Lounge" series of discs. Can't wait to spin them.

JD

Something titled "Tune-up 27" that I picked up at a thrift. SOme really good tunes throughout. Have tracked down the playlist online, and even some 'real' names playing on it. But, don't ask right now, I am sitting comfortably with my second cuppa joe.
Here it is:
You Don't Move Me (Keith Richards) / Christmas Must Be Tonight (Robbie Robertson) / Solidarity (Rhuthm Corps) / Acting This Way (Robert Cray Band) / Feel The Shake (Jetboy) / Motor (Circus Of Power) / Girls Night Out (Dirty Blonde) / Grain Of Sand (The Saints) / Daddy Have You Ever Been Arrested? (Dear Mr. President) / The LSD Edit (The Krush Brothers) / She's A Star (Survivor) / I Don't Wanna Know (Daryl Stuermer) / Some Kind Of Miracle (China Sky) / Place That's Insane (The Northern Pikes)

Last edited:
Here's a fine jazz vocalist, Andrienne Wilson, She's dangerous.
She also plays flute and alto flute. Backed by Alex Blake, Tommy Campbell, Norman Hedman, & featuring George Cables, Bobby Watson and Stanton Davis.
This is a release by Arabesque Records, a small label. The recording is very well done.

Back
Top Bottom