Monolith table

Yep I remember that too, I was the guy who measured the TN-300 and wrote it up. I measured several tables using a test tone record feeding a PC and some wow and flutter software from over at Tapeheads. The cell phone apps that can measure it are subject to a noisy microphone. I tested vintage tables to make sure the measurement was close to stated specs for vintage tables I had, then then I figured I could trust it for measuring the Teac. If I recall the Teac was around 0.06. It was a contentious thread.

Yes! It's all coming back to me now...

Thursday 1/31/2019

sale.png
I'm tempted just to try one out...

Got mine tonight.

Initial impressions:

Pros:

-- Presents well, all black with lightly smoked dust cover, just the silver edge of the platter and the tasteful, single "Monolith" logo for contrast.

-- Instructions are clear and concise, setup was simple for a turntable newbie. No special tools needed (though I recommend a small scale, makes setting tracking force much faster/easier/more accurate).

-- Switchable phono pre lets you start with the integrated and upgrade in the future if you want. (Haven't compared Monolith vs. Emotiva PT-100 yet, will in next few days)

Cons:

-- Clearly built to price point. Platter is very light / junky compared to older mid range table. Hinges are plastic. Bottom panel is like... Glorified cardboard.

-- Included cables very cheap (but functional)

-- Cat is obsessed with it.

For $150 (shipped) good value -- as I understand the cart alone is worth like $90? -- and probably the cheapest you can get in to a brand new "okay" table. For $250+ shipped? I personally would have felt a bit cheated.

Interesting take on the platter. I admit I have no frame of reference there. It's thicker/heavier than my old Technics p-mount, but that too is sort of entry level I guess. The plastic hinges didn't bug me at all (at least they're thick and sturdy) but it was quite a challenge fitting them onto the cover.

Interested to hear what you think of it sound-wise when you have time to form an impression. I disliked the cart at first but after playing it for probably 10-12 hours the last couple days it's really opened up. I was all set to order a new cart but I'll probably stick with this one for a while now.

After 6 days with this table the speed has wandered up to 33.46 and 45.14, with w/f around 0.14-0.17%. That's well within acceptable margins to me but I'm not super picky and I can't hear any difference in the music.

I assume it's just the belt stretching a little as it gets broken in. I may fool around with the speed trimmers a little and see if I can get it back down. But I'm not sweating it too much.

I like this thing a lot. It's not audiophile status by any means but it sounds good and is cool looking which basically fulfills all my parameters for a piece of audio equipment.

I might also try to add some mass to the platter. Lead tape around the inside rim maybe?

Last edited:
If it is similar to the Fluance RT80, there will be two small speed adjustments on the underside of the plinth. There are videos on youtube showing users sitting the turntable on chair backs such that they can operate the machine and adjust the trimmers with a speed check app or strobe disc on the platter. I agree with giving it 50 hours or so to settle in and then adjust the speeds. Good to go.

It's very possible - maybe even likely - the Orbit is better at $239 with the arm lifter. But that's only if you don't need the pre-amp or the upgrades on platter and cart. When I have the extra cash I intend to order one and find out.

But at the $175 I got it for, or especially the $140 it was on sale for after that, I really doubt you could do better.

Currently on sale for $180, LOL. They can't make up their mind how much they want to sell this thing for. But there can't be many left, mine was #399 out of 500 according to the label on the box.

It's very possible - maybe even likely - the Orbit is better at $239 with the arm lifter. But that's only if you don't need the pre-amp or the upgrades on platter and cart. When I have the extra cash I intend to order one and find out.

But at the $175 I got it for, or especially the $140 it was on sale for after that, I really doubt you could do better.

Currently on sale for $180, LOL. They can't make up their mind how much they want to sell this thing for. But there can't be many left, mine was #399 out of 500 according to the label on the box.

Orbit might be better at $239? Hmmm. I prefer a detachable headshell and aluminum platter over MDF. Received my $150 special last night and set it up, it's a nice deck. Nearly identical to a Teac TN-300 on parts - arm, platter, electronics & dustcover (they can fit each other). AT100E elliptical cartridge unmarked, better than the conical that ships with Orbit. Finish on Monolith looks great, I'll call it Urishi black (since it matches my C-91/M-91 combo). My only nit was needing to adjust the arm lift higher to be more level with holder instead of dropping when you cue a record.

For $219 one can buy a Teac TN-400 at some places, I'd say that model might be better because of S shaped arm where you can swap in a universal headshell from other players if desired. At $150 the Monolith is a good deal for anyone wanting a new player - and at $250 I wouldn't feel cheated. I would feel cheated if I bought the $499 Elac Miracord 50, since it appears to be a dead ringer but with large logo on front. Just IMO.

Last edited:
For those who have purchased the Monolith, tell me about this: I own both Fluance models, the RT80 and RT81. I bought the RT81 early on, at least two years ago now, loved it and wanted another turntable for a bedroom. Soon thereafter, Fluance had some sort of "flash" sale on the RT80 and I got it for well under $200. While the RT81 has a very heavy and solid-feeling body, the RT80 was pretty light and hollow such that motor noise was more prominent. Otherwise, their working bits were exactly the same, apart from the cartridge included.

Is the body on the Monolith more like the RT81 or the RT80 would you say? If they are selling a model with a heavier, more solid body than it is IMO a steal at under $200.

I would be surprised if they are much different on the internal components. Plus Monolith appears to have later gen control electronics and auto stop. Elac sells higher end turntables and probably puts a premium on the 50 because of name.

For those who have purchased the Monolith, tell me about this: I own both Fluance models, the RT80 and RT81. I bought the RT81 early on, at least two years ago now, loved it and wanted another turntable for a bedroom. Soon thereafter, Fluance had some sort of "flash" sale on the RT80 and I got it for well under $200. While the RT81 has a very heavy and solid-feeling body, the RT80 was pretty light and hollow such that motor noise was more prominent. Otherwise, their working bits were exactly the same, apart from the cartridge included.

Is the body on the Monolith more like the RT81 or the RT80 would you say? If they are selling a model with a heavier, more solid body than it is IMO a steal at under $200.

Shipping box says net weight for Monolith is 7.2 kg and I assume that's unit weight (gross shipping weight is 8.8). The Fluance RT 81 is listed as 6.4 kg on their site, and the RT 80 sounds pretty light at 4.5 kg.

Sure. Does the Monolith plinth/body feel solid or, if tapped, hollow? If it's a solid MDF body that's impressive to me for the price.

Shipping box says net weight for Monolith is 7.2 kg and I assume that's unit weight (gross shipping weight is 8.8). The Fluance RT 81 is listed as 6.4 kg on their site, and the RT 80 sounds pretty light at 4.5 kg.

Sure. Does the Monolith plinth/body feel solid or, if tapped, hollow? If it's a solid MDF body that's impressive to me for the price.

It's solid. One and 3/4 inches thick. On the bathroom scale mine weighs 14.6 pounds. I thought it was resin at first but after taking the bottom plate off it does look like MDF. The cutouts for the electronics and tonearm are connected by little trenches for the wiring. It's all very tidy the way it's laid out.

The only beef I have is the speed trimmers are covered by this foam rubber gasket that sits underneath the metal cover of the motor assembly. I can't seem to pull the gasket out and I can't seem to feel out the screws. I know they're in there though.

Last edited:
I will grab one at $150 if it drops again

I bet the newer AT carts would kick the SQ up -- like the VM540ML ($100 more than table but...)

got one coming

Mine sounds very good for the $$$ - have it setup stock

Should have a VM540ML by Friday maybe tomorrow. I did not get the cart just for the Monolith , just wanted one for my collection

If I sell or give away the Monolith to a family member they will get the stock cart :)

Not that there's anything wrong with the stock cart but I'm thinking about ordering one of these to go on mine:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...039&sr=8-28&keywords=audio+technica+cartridge

Thinking it might be more forgiving on some records I have. I'm finding the AT100 to be really revealing of surface noise and especially records that are a little off-center. My copy of Moving Pictures is brilliant on side 1 and a total disaster on side 2.

The main reason I'm interested in this table is I happen to have a very nice stylus (ATN132EP - 0.2 x 0.7 mil nude elliptical) that happens to fit the AT100E body. However, the published spec for the tonearm effective mass has me concerned:

upload_2019-2-6_13-56-9.png

Yikes, almost 29g is very heavy for a modern tonearm. So, heavy, in fact, that is doesn't seem like an ideal match for the included AT100E cartridge (1.8g recommended VTF), let alone my even higher compliance ATN132EP stylus (1.25g recommended VTF). Is this a typo, or is the arm really that heavy? Has anyone who purchased a Monolith tried it with a lighter tracking cartridge or stylus? If so, how did it do? If the effective mass is really 28.87g, I'm concerned it would bottom out the suspension on my ATN132EP.

I also find the dual rubber/felt mats a little weird. I don't like felt mats (dust magnets) and the fact that you have to use both together to get the proper VTA for the included cart makes it seem like the table was originally designed with a different cartridge in mind and since the tonearm height isn't adjustable, they just threw a cheap felt mat in the box to get the correct VTA with the included cartridge. Not that this is anything new. It's an old trick. In fact, I run two stacked rubber mats on my MCS 6700. It's a changer that is designed to play from 1 - 6 albums with the VTA optimized for the 3rd album in the stack. Since I only use mine as a single play machine, I stack two rubber mats of the appropriate thicknesses to optimize the VTA for a single album.

I've just never seen a single play turntable that came with two mats that must be used in conjunction to get the proper VTA. Seems like kind of a kludge. The Elac 50 this is being compared to comes with a single rubber mat (and a different cartridge). Of course, if that's the only difference, I'll gladly pay $320 less for the Monolith, pitch the cheap felt may and buy replacement rubber mat of the proper thickness to get the proper VTA for the included cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom