More Fun With Magnavox: The 9300 Series

Good idea. I never heard it before pulling it. It all does look a little big so I should have figured it would be heavy on the mids. Do you know what level of efficiency I should be looking for? Maybe ~95db/watt + or so?

If you run this with the stock speaker arrangement, you may find it wants a tweeter for the way up. The horns make nice midranges, but they seem a bit flat at the top end. I expect a dome tweeter crossed somewhere around 7-10khz would cover it nicely though. I'd probably also run the woofer through a low pass crossover to get some of the mids out of it if it ends up with too much midrange.

A few years back, AKer kidmoe put his Gillespie-inspired Magnavox 9304 (as I recall?) up on Bartertown for a very reasonable price. I was interested in a 6BQ5/EL84 amp to complement my EL34/6CA7 Yaqin and my Latino VTA ST 120 KT88 amp. It came to me with some right-channel hum. I ended up putting a fair amount of time and effort into this problem: relocating the power cord back to its original position, twisted the AC lines to the power switch, and playing with wiring dress and grounding options. It is now virtually silent and is running Russian 6P12P-EV power tubes, 6EU7 preamp tubes, and with a JJ GZ34 rectifier. My understanding is that this may be the very first 9300-series amp that Dave worked with kidmoe on and got the EFB treatment. So this is likely the amp that got this whole thread rolling way back when!

The purpose for this post is simply to say what a wonderful sounding amp this is with my Polk SRS SDA 2.3 speakers! There is something about the liquid and detailed sound this amp puts out. Excellent sound staging too. In some respects, it even bests the VTA ST 120, which is no slouch. Those 13 watts can be magic! Thanks again to both Dave and kidmoe for their interest in these amps.

Does anybody (other than DG) have experience going from the original Magnavox OPT to the Z565 OPT? I bought the Dynaco clone OPTs a couple of years ago , but liked the amp as is enough that I couldn't justify taking it out of service to install new iron.

My only minor quibbles with the amp as it is would be
1) upper-frequency extension is a tad rolled off. A Spectral it ain't :)
2) bass is a little 'bloomy'
Neither of these are very objectionable and actually somewhat pleasing if I'm not being too critical

Now the amp has developed some minor problem that forced me to take it out of service and open it up. Also, its winter and gets dark at 4 pm, so it's indoor project time. Now would be the time to do the swap.

I know that there are sound technical reasons for the Dyna iron being better. I'm looking for a more subjective, listening-based opinion.

Anybody?

I switched to the Z565 clones (dynakitparts) but I can't say if the sound improved subjectively because it's too hard to remember what it sounded like with the old OPTs. They both sounded great to me. Yes, the bass is pleasantly lose, but I don't think the OPTs had any impact on that. I can say only that it measures better on the bench with the Z565s. Btw, it's not just the transformers that get swapped for this mod. There are a total of 20 resistors and capacitors that need to be changed to go from the original DG design to the version with the updated OPTs. Just get the schematic for each and compare. Feedback loop, step filter, cathode bypass, and grid resistors are different.

I've rebuilt one with stock iron, and I have mine with the Edcor iron. If I'm being honest about it, I don't know that the Edcor is significantly better to listen to. Its got a little more bass but its nothing you couldn't fill in with a small amount of subwoofer.

OK thanks for the input.

I may just fix it , re-adjust and put it back in service.
I'm a bit concerned that in the process of installing the new OPTs I'll do something bad to the amp.

If I had a second one of my own to do, I'd probably just leave the stock iron. It honestly sounds better than it seems like it should.

Might be another story if I already owned the iron, but more likely I'd be tempted to just build something around those transformers on a fresh chassis.

I switched to the Z565 clones (dynakitparts) but I can't say if the sound improved subjectively because it's too hard to remember what it sounded like with the old OPTs. They both sounded great to me. Yes, the bass is pleasantly lose, but I don't think the OPTs had any impact on that. I can say only that it measures better on the bench with the Z565s. Btw, it's not just the transformers that get swapped for this mod. There are a total of 20 resistors and capacitors that need to be changed to go from the original DG design to the version with the updated OPTs. Just get the schematic for each and compare. Feedback loop, step filter, cathode bypass, and grid resistors are different.

What about the 2.7K and 100uF? They were changed to 1.5K and 470uF in the new version. Do they need to be changed? I have the parts for the other 20 items than need changing.

What about the 2.7K and 100uF? They were changed to 1.5K and 470uF in the new version. Do they need to be changed? I have the parts for the other 20 items than need changing.

Yes, definitely. That 1.5K is an essential part of the feedback circuit designed to support the new transformers. I thought I included those when I counted 20? In any event, change exactly what is in the schematic. I think the latest was this one:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-the-9300-series.687735/page-20#post-10220075

Got mine finished up and did the power up this morning Had a few craftsmanship related issues. Now I've got a oscillation problems even with inputs grounded it takes off on it's own. I'm not sure where to start to sort this out. Adding some pictures to aid in the troubleshooting This is a scratch build w/ Edcor OTs w/ 8 ohm secondaries and a scrounged Motorola PT from a three channel console amp. Tubes are 12AX7 & EL84, and NFB is 2.7K w/ 680pf in parallel and 18pf to the top EL84 anode. On the phase inverter it's 3.3K w/ 18pf. Everything power wise is good.

20190105_124936.jpg 20190105_124920.jpg 20190105_124941.jpg

Attachments

• 20181223_133231.jpg
    20181223_133231.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
It's possible the feedback is out of phase. You can try reversing the primary blue/brown wires between the output tubes.
Good luck with your project. It looks nice.
John

I went back and reread Dave’s dissertation about the HF instability in this amp and was able to get the oscillating under control. To get there first I had to pull the buffer tube and jumper the input around it. With the buffer in place with >0.1 volt from the frequency generator the goes into a grossly overdriven state. I’m using 12AX7 tubes for my buffer and inverter stages. I’m going back to read the notes about the buffer, if someone has input about this it would be greatly appreciated.

What size resistor are you running between the output of the buffer and the input to the amp? A higher value will help with HF stability problems. Likely needs to be something in the 47k-100k range.

0AFB3E4C-2FC3-4858-9D4F-9196A6201D1B.jpeg
What size resistor are you running between the output of the buffer and the input to the amp? A higher value will help with HF stability problems. Likely needs to be something in the 47k-100k range.
I’m following your drawing that I’ve attached to this post. But I seem to remember Dave stating it should be 47K.

Gadget, you're a hoot!! But thanks! A couple of points if I may however with the spliced together schematic:

1. The series grid resistance into the AF Amplifier portion of the Driver Stage must remain as 47K as in the original modified design. Its value in part helps to produce the desired HF roll off to achieve the stability level indicated.

2. It could be ambiguous seeing references to both a 320 volt source, and a 340 volt source. In fact, these are one and the same.

For those wishing to keep the original OPTs in place, adding the buffer stage would still be a very worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks again!

Dave
This is it I’ll give it a try and report back.

I think Dave's comment was for the buffer added to the amp circuit with stock transformers. Increasing that resistor won't hurt anything though. It will knock down some of the HF response, which may be a help for stability.

Ideally you need a scope and a signal generator for this since your setup is slightly different from what has already been done.

Gadget you are correct changing that resister from 10 to 47K had no real effect. What I found was if I removed the 680pf cap from the NFB network it goes away and everything is stable. My current configuration is 3.9K ohm and 680pf in parallel connected to the output of the OT and going to pin 3 of the phase inverter tube. I have also tried a 2.7K in this network with no change.And from that point a 20pf cap going to the brown transformer input lead. I do have a scope and a signal generator. I’m feeding a 1Khz signal in at .3 vac.

I think I’m going to put the 10K back in,I’m a fan of if it doesn’t work put it back the way it was. Maybe stick a pot in the NFB network and see if I can find a value for the resistor. I’m very much on the front end of learning about this it’s nice to have people who are willing to help.

What does a 1khz square wave look like? Output should be somewhere around 2-3v p-p.

For the designed feedback level, 2.7k from the 8 ohm should be the right value. Its supposed to be 12db. There are ways to calculate it, I prefer to just measure output with the feedback disconnected, then connect it and measure the difference. A bit of math will turn the voltage difference into db.

The phase cap value may be wrong for your particular transformers. Thats just what I happened to end up with for a decent compromise of stability and frequency response. Feeback is something of a balancing act, the wider the frequency response, the more likely it is to become unstable.

Back
Top Bottom