More Sad News

Looks like there will be a service for Jim this Wednesday, October 10th at 3:00PM. I don't have the location information but it's supposed to be posted on Jim's facebook page soon. I will definitely be there and it would be nice if we had a good AK turnout.

I'd also like to thank AK member Trucker1964. He has been the conduit for this information.

- Pete

Oh not another death.. Pity . And I had just send him my AU X1 SM
R.I.P. Jim.

I saw your X1 boxed in the garage. As I’m sure you know, his son who is a great guy, plans to ship it for you.

I must say that when I saw the box I thought “I sure would like to have an X1 restored by Jim”. I’m sure you’ll find a great tech to restore what is a very special piece. :D

Jim's service yesterday was heartfelt and even inspiring. The chapel was packed, standing room only, filled with family, his children, grand children and great grand children. It began with an Air Force Honor Guard to commemorate his 20+ years in the Air Force. The reverend said some kind words and then there was a long parade of family and in some cases, kin of family members standing up to tell stories. It was clear from the beginning how much Jim meant to his family. The common theme was how freely he went out of his way to help them and others.

His sister couldn't attend and sent a video where among her kind words she read the following Hunter Thomson quote: “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

We knew him as an extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly guy. His family saw him that way a thousand times over. He touched all of them again and again with generosity and kindness in a way that most of us haven't come close to matching. We lost a truly great guy.

- Pete

Thanks Pete for letting us know. It's very moving. This week I managed to fix my old Technics CDP based on one of Jim's posts that I made notes of. It's been on my todo list for pretty long but my sense of accomplishment was somewhat bitter. I wish I could thank Jim for that post earlier, when it could still matter. He will be missed dearly by many of us strangers, so it's only obvious how deep is the family's loss.

Thanks Pete. This news still pains me. Jim and I had some fun (lengthy) phone conversations. I remember being new here and was in disaster mode because my 9090db went into protection. Jim was eager to help get my machine working again. Back in those days when you had a sick Sansui you were in good hands if Jim (CDFixer) offered to help troubleshoot. Again. Thanks Pete.

Jim was the expert on the 9090/8080/9090DB/8080DB and was the first to post fixes for many of the common issues with this series. Here are some examples: He was the first to refer to this series as the X0X0 models. He coined that term in this thread, back in 2004. In one of his first posts he identified the two fusible resistors on the F-2624 driver board that put the unit in protection in this thread. He didn't post all that often but what he did post helped all of us.

- Pete

I never had any dealings with Jim but did read some of his posts from which I deduced that he was a knowledgeable man with a great willingness to help out others with an interest and/or problems with their Sansui's.
I can only concur with everyone else that he will be sorely missed.

Oh man. I just saw this as I was wondering about Jim. I recently obtianed a sad-looking non-working 717 and was going to get in touch with him about it. He had rebuilt another AU-717 for me about 3 years ago, which I regrettably sold-it was just fantastic workmanship and sounded perfect.

I first met Jim after I had posted on AK looking for a tech. Jim responded-it turned out he lived within walking distance of my house! I met him a number of times and just enjoyed it so much. I really got a kick out of unit he had worked on that combined an 8080/9090 that he called “Franken-Sui.”

This is such a loss. He was an avid USC Trojans fan. When I was watching USC/UCLA last night I thought “Jim is probably at the game-man he must be irate with the turnovers.” No kidding.

Thanks for posting LBPete. You and I met at JohnB’s in Long Beach when we helped him set up his garage sale a few months ago. I can see why you and Jim became friends. Same generous spirit.
-Rob

Just heard through this thread about CDFixer/Jim passing away. So sorry to hear about this but so very glad he contributed so much to this forum and the art of troubleshooting our gear no matter what the make.
Just for my memory, wasn't Jim in the Buena Park area for awhile? I remember he was at our SoCal AK meets in Buena Park and Cerritos some 10+ years ago.

RIP Jim.

Just heard through this thread about CDFixer/Jim passing away. So sorry to hear about this but so very glad he contributed so much to this forum and the art of troubleshooting our gear no matter what the make.
Just for my memory, wasn't Jim in the Buena Park area for awhile? I remember he was at our SoCal AK meets in Buena Park and Cerritos some 10+ years ago.

RIP Jim.

Am I mistaken or wasn't he @ the meet LBPete organized?

I thought I remember talking to him there but that was a while ago of course, and unless I am very much mistaken you were there Bart with some very nice gear..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom