Most "accurate" bass you've ever heard?

I think the criterion for the this subject will be much harder than one might imagine.

Anyway this is how i judge a speaker's bass accuracy:
1. the drum kick sounded like drum kick
2. the piano lower octaves have sufficient weight.
3. the vocals is warm enough with no muddiness.
4. the bass mustn't kill the mid's ambient and transient.
5. the drum tom rolls like carpet bom.
6. the drum snare has the right thickness.

The first and second criteria had me rule out most bookshelf speakers.
The fourth often conflict with the fifth and sixth.
The get the third right sometimes need to sacrifice the first and second.

Not many great speaker i had audition so no speaker suggestion from me but i agree with Gang-twanger about the classic JBL monitor even if they don't fit with all my criterion.
I hate to derail this thread but...

+1 Classic JBL Monitors do it for me too.
And that ain't no fried chicken.

I've heard a lot of speakers (having sold, repaired, or bought literally thousands of pairs of speakers over the last 35+ years)- two of them have stood out, beyond all comers:

- Tannoy Kingdom Royal. A speaker which, I'm not exaggerating much to say, could probably be made to give natural sounding bass in any room short of a phone booth or a shower stall. I've never had a pair that, regardless of where they've been located, DIDN'T have fantastic bass quality. And they go low, too (easy mid 20s).

- Focal Grande Utopia III EM. This, frankly, is what I regard as the state of the art in this department. Bass to below 20Hz in-room, and still correct balance, correct transient response, very appropriate "speed" in all parts of the audible range, and a freedom from distortion that's pretty amazing. I suspect this is at least partially, since it actually uses a field coil magnet in the woofer (which is actually tune-able to the room, by adjustment of magnet strength, via a control on the EM power supply)- the electromagnet has an advantage over permanent magnets, in that if built properly, it can have markedly less hysteresis effect and magnetic strength "sag"- it' a "stiffer" magnet strength. There's a reason that these have probably won more 'best of show' awards at audio shows in the last decade (with some of the Magico speakers being a possible contender in that department), than any other...

Regards,
Gordon.

The open baffle H-frames, thanks to fellow AK'er Martin King:

PC120001.jpg

A9 with the 2500 uF cap from the bass crossover REMOVED. Talking incredible bass flat down into the 20+ Hz region. Taut, agile, articulate, detailed bass - assuming you have some "iron" pushing it - for instance a nice Pass amp will fill the bill. No tubes need apply.

Have never heard any planar speaker - short of a Sound Lab 945 - ever produce bass that was worth hearing. Big Maggies? 20 series? They do bass down to 25 Hz - and if you stand next to the speaker you might be able to hear it. Might.

I know for a fact that the AR-9 can produce the low C (organ note at 32 Hz) far better than a Wilson Audio Alexia.

I'm trying to put together a list of speakers that are known for their accurate bass reproduction. When I say accurate I don't necessarily mean deep or loud bass..just very accurate in terms of tight, non-boomy etc. (good transient response.) So, small two-ways are fine to add to the list, if fact, small speakers with accurate bass is what I'm really after here. So, what's the best bass you've heard? :guitar:
The best electronically reproduced bass I ever heard was in a movie theater in 1986, at a premier showing of 'Aliens'. Don't know what sound system the theater was using, but I still remember how good the bass reproduction was. I haven't heard anything to match it since, except at live, acoustic performances in a premier concert hall.

Ok Lets get back on track . I was at a listening session two weeks ago the system had two large 6 per side dipole servo subs and a pair of 15 " subs in the back of the room. This was the best bass I have heard in a system to date. I run 2 REL subs in my system in stereo with a DSPeaker having 2 more REL subs I use for my HT I decided to try distributed bass I set up a Mini DSP 2x4 too hook up the rear subs to my system . All I can say is WOW this is the best bass I have heard in my room
the whole range improved I am kicking my self for not trying this sooner . Some times you have to listen to other systems to hear what you are missing

I love deep,DSCF1641.JPG DSCF1553.JPG accurate bass,if we are talking vintage home consumer speakers as opposed to pro audio these..

And these...

Never heard the Grand Utopias but the Utopias were very impressive. I usually don't get too taken in with the statement systems but the Utopias as I heard them were pretty faultless in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of speakers (having sold, repaired, or bought literally thousands of pairs of speakers over the last 35+ years)- two of them have stood out, beyond all comers:

- Tannoy Kingdom Royal. A speaker which, I'm not exaggerating much to say, could probably be made to give natural sounding bass in any room short of a phone booth or a shower stall. I've never had a pair that, regardless of where they've been located, DIDN'T have fantastic bass quality. And they go low, too (easy mid 20s).

- Focal Grande Utopia III EM. This, frankly, is what I regard as the state of the art in this department. Bass to below 20Hz in-room, and still correct balance, correct transient response, very appropriate "speed" in all parts of the audible range, and a freedom from distortion that's pretty amazing. I suspect this is at least partially, since it actually uses a field coil magnet in the woofer (which is actually tune-able to the room, by adjustment of magnet strength, via a control on the EM power supply)- the electromagnet has an advantage over permanent magnets, in that if built properly, it can have markedly less hysteresis effect and magnetic strength "sag"- it' a "stiffer" magnet strength. There's a reason that these have probably won more 'best of show' awards at audio shows in the last decade (with some of the Magico speakers being a possible contender in that department), than any other...

Regards,
Gordon.

Lots of speakers get great tight accurate,bass, but the trouble is usually limited frequency extension and SPL. But if you say you are not interested in those two things, then how are you going to be satisfied with a speaker that won't really have accurate reproduction of a 6-string bass? Or a hit from an Orchestral drum? Accurate reproduction means all the fundamentals and overtones are there.

I have not heard small speakers as you have requested that are accurate because they are missing frequency extension and spl.

Last edited:
I think most any quality speaker is capable of killer bass ... with proper maintenance and in the proper environment. Had my McIntosh XR16's rebuilt recently, and also put a lot of effort into fine tuning the room with conservative treatments and software DSP equalization, and I'm getting some serious gut punch out of the system now, with extreme clarity at the bottom. Hard combo to beat.

One of these is handy too ... used conservatively, a dbx BoomBox can really fill in bass that might have been limited in production and mastering by synthesizing a full octave below what it tracks at the inputs. That also underwent a serious restoration and upgrade recently.

most accurate bass so far is my own system, 2 x 12" in my NHT 3.3 xover @ 50hz to my dual 18" stereo integrity ds4 in a sealed ~6.1cu ft dual .75" MDF heavily braced enclosure with a f3 of 27hz. Very mild EQ applied, subs are linear from 10hz-90hz and the 12's roll off onto the 18s silky smooth, both enclosures being sealed helps.

bass is extremely tight, clean, and true SPL monsters if you turn them up... 4" DVC 2 ohm wired to 4 ohm. each sub is driven by a bridged mx1500a @ 1500wrms

hAkofis.jpg

rUidBJC.jpg

my setup is now opposing corner subwoofer- experimenting with placement. so far its a bit more linear with less upper bloom caused by LF reflections

AU_DS_opposing.gif

most accurate bass so far is my own system, 2 x 12" in my NHT 3.3 xover @ 50hz to my dual 18" stereo integrity ds4 in a sealed ~6.1cu ft dual .75" MDF heavily braced enclosure with a f3 of 27hz. Very mild EQ applied, subs are linear from 10hz-90hz and the 12's roll off onto the 18s silky smooth, both enclosures being sealed helps.

bass is extremely tight, clean, and true SPL monsters if you turn them up... 4" DVC 2 ohm wired to 4 ohm. each sub is driven by a bridged mx1500a @ 1500wrms

hAkofis.jpg

rUidBJC.jpg

my setup is now opposing corner subwoofer- experimenting with placement. so far its a bit more linear with less upper bloom caused by LF reflections

AU_DS_opposing.gif
Your joints should have been staggered:)

Hi, my IMF PROF.MK III can reproduce the most natural bass frequency of any instruments,because transmission line speakers is the way to go to achieve that no matter where you're barbecue come from. And very Well control with the right electronic and this is not a joke.

Hi, my IMF PROF.MK III can reproduce the most natural bass frequency of any instruments,because transmission line speakers is the way to go to achieve that no matter where you're barbecue come from. And very Well control with the right electronic and this is not a joke.
The room is the problem not the speaker . Try 4 subwoofers in the room you will be surprised . I just did and am I

KEF 107's as far as what I've heard (more than briefly) and owned...and there hasn't really been a close second place! The quality of bass is quite astounding at times. SO. THICK. And textured/nuanced at the same time.

The word "accurate" bass makes me think of bass that has some audible low definition and is musical. From my bad memory this lives in the 60-180hz, range. .....Accurate bass I think should maybe have at least one smaller diameter, fast cone driver that will reach up a little over 120hz and respond fast and "punchy", ......You also could add a larger driver with a freq down to 30hz...... if u wish,..... for that feeling of bass. Most 15" or 18" drivers used alone sound great crossed over in + or -80hz range....... but may not be quick enough to be accurate in the higher bass range, a 18" driver no matter how amazing the driver is, has a lot of cone area to keep in time and get moving compared to a 8", and sometimes a large fat rubber surround doing its own thing to shake the walls .. Combining the 2 , or just using a smaller bass driver should be accurate. The NHT super ones 2.1 has accurate addicting low, mid low and punch. I think sealed cabinets are more accurate, The little NHTs are much more accurate than my 16" Sansuis woofers, but the suis you can feel shake the windows Maybe I should combine the 2?

I don't have much experience with truly high end speakers, but the ones that impressed me the most are my B&O Beovox S75s. They use one of Seas 25ef woofer variants (can't remember the exact model ) that was very popular in the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom