Most People Live Lives of Quiet Desperation...How About You?

Are You Quietly Desperate?

• I'm happy

Votes: 82 43.9%
  • Meh, things are OK I guess

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Don't tell anybody but I'm a little desperate

Votes: 16 8.6%
  • I'm FINE. No actually I'm desperate

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • Get out of my face or I will end you

Votes: 10 5.3%

• Total voters
Well I am far far from this, but I KNOW it is the right direction to combat a life of quiet desperation. It's called "The elegant art of not giving a shit"

"Not giving a shit sounds like apathy, but it’s not. It’s simply a refusal to waste your energy and time on thoughts you’re not going to act on. So when you do give a shit, make sure that the point of this shit-giving is to figure out what you’re actually going to do in response to what happened, and then move on to the action part."

Here is a handy flow-chart:"

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• The elegant art of not giving a shit .txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 9
I've had my ups and downs, like everybody else. I've never been arrested, never fired from a job, no quality of life threatening diseases so I'm guessing I managed to skirt a lot of bad stuff. My family and friends have given me a happy life and it is worth getting up every morning and taking a shot at another day. I'll add that retirement sure made the happy meter jump up a few notches.

Last edited:
I figure if I am having a shit day...someones having a good one..Yin yang? Currently working on a few Voodoo dolls :mad::rockon:

Well I am far far from this, but I KNOW it is the right direction to combat a life of quiet desperation. It's called "The elegant art of not giving a shit"

"Not giving a shit sounds like apathy, but it’s not. It’s simply a refusal to waste your energy and time on thoughts you’re not going to act on. So when you do give a shit, make sure that the point of this shit-giving is to figure out what you’re actually going to do in response to what happened, and then move on to the action part."

Here is a handy flow-chart:"

Agree 100%. I know people who will spend a LOT of time decrying everything that's going on in the world, or bitching about their neighbors who don't bring in their trash cans fast enough or looked at them funny once or their kids who don't conduct their lives in every detail the way mom or dad would prefer. What can you do about it? Let them be, let it go, concentrate on something positive, productive and beautiful today. Yes, the dollar may collapse tomorrow, I don't know, but I'm not going to sit around thinking about it. I have flowers to plant.

Agree 100%. I know people who will spend a LOT of time decrying everything that's going on in the world, or bitching about their neighbors who don't bring in their trash cans fast enough or looked at them funny once or their kids who don't conduct their lives in every detail the way mom or dad would prefer. What can you do about it? Let them be, let it go, concentrate on something positive, productive and beautiful today. Yes, the dollar may collapse tomorrow, I don't know, but I'm not going to sit around thinking about it. I have flowers to plant.
Yes there is that. Also quite often it is the little dumb things that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme but causes enormous internal energy wasted over "stewing". I like the flow chart quite a lot because it is stupid simple. Either act or say to yourself "I don't give a shit" and then cease any further thinking about it. Sounds simple! I'll redouble my efforts to adhere!

Yes there is that. Also quite often it is the little dumb things that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme but causes enormous internal energy wasted over "stewing". I like the flow chart quite a lot because it is stupid simple. Either act or say to yourself "I don't give a shit" and then cease any further thinking about it. Sounds simple! I'll redouble my efforts to adhere!

I will say though that some of the seemingly little dumb things may be more important than they appear. I've gone on a couple of crusades at work in the past couple of months, things that a lot of my coworkers agree should be changed. They either don't know how to go about it, or think they can't make a difference, or they're afraid they'll get in trouble. I don't care, I try to fix the things I can and let the other ones go. It's the Tox family mojo.

Since 2008 many people, worldwide, have been hanging on, economically and emotionally, by a thread. If not less. Now how the **** did that happen again? I sense a repeat in the making.

BTW, I opted to select none of the categories in the "poll" as they are all too optimistic.

I think I'm ok but I don't ask for a second opinion. My wife and my dog love me, and isn't this just the best year ever for no politics on this site?

I think I'm ok but I don't ask for a second opinion. My wife and my dog love me, and isn't this just the best year ever for no politics on this site?

A refuge from the madness.

I move the Admins preemptively ban all Presidential candidates from membership as a fail-safe measure.

Aww, come on, it would be great. Really great. The greatest. :rflmao:

Seriously though, AK is a refuge, a greatly appreciated one in these times. I can put up with you guys better if we just stick to audio! :thumbsup:

These lyrics have always been the direction for my life. When things went bad, listening to this song helped to lift me out of the hole. Thanks J.T.

"Secret O' Life"

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
Any fool can do it, there ain't nothing to it.
Nobody knows how we got to the top of the hill.
But since we're on our way down, we might as well enjoy the ride.

The secret of love is in opening up your heart.
It's okay to feel afraid, but don't let that stand in your way.
Cause anyone knows that love is the only road.
And since we're only here for a while, might as well show some style. Give us a smile.

Isn't it a lovely ride? Sliding down, gliding down,
try not to try too hard, it's just a lovely ride.

Now the thing about time is that time isn't really real.
It's just your point of view, how does it feel for you?
Einstein said he could never understand it all.
Planets spinning through space, the smile upon your face, welcome to the human race.

Some kind of lovely ride. I'll be sliding down, I'll be gliding down.
Try not to try too hard, it's just a lovely ride.
Isn't it a lovely ride? Sliding down, gliding down,
try not to try too hard, it's just a lovely ride.
The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.

I live in very loud desperation.

Hopefully, you own very good quality speakers...........
unless you are like me and use headphones so that other people nearby can live out their lives in
"quiet desperation". :music:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom