Most Popular Mac Gear

Hello -

Does anyone know which of the current crop of Mac gear is most popular or sells the best? Just curious as I have recently bought a few pieces myself.

:idea: Why not simply list the units you have questions about and we'll do our best to help you.

*You should be cautioned what you're asking sounds perilously close to an offer to sell which is strictly forbidden on the open forum- only on Bartertown if you become a subscriber.

Questions pertaining to value should be posted in Dollars & Sense.

I would say all their new tube stuff sells good in the stores and most likely the preamps best. I should say the entry level tube preamps like the c2500 c2600, and since they put the c1100 out at a lower price than the c1000 that sold good also.

The D100 always sold good as does the D150.

The mc275 is a big one for tubes

I think next would be SS power amps 300 watts and up MC300, MC601, and MC452

62caddy -

Nothing to sell - No intention to sell - No offers to sell - no violation of any policy or anything that is strictly forbidden in any way shape or form. Jumping to this conclusion:

*You should be cautioned what you're asking sounds perilously close to an offer to sell which is strictly forbidden on the open forum" seems to be a bit of an over reaction.

Already own the my Mac gear. Was just curious what others were adding to there system. Plain and simple. Sorry to be so offensive it will never happen again.

62caddy -

Nothing to sell - No intention to sell - No offers to sell - no violation of any policy or anything that is strictly forbidden in any way shape or form. Jumping to this conclusion:

*You should be cautioned what you're asking sounds perilously close to an offer to sell which is strictly forbidden on the open forum" seems to be a bit of an over reaction.

Was just curious what others were adding to there system. Plain and simple. Sorry to be so offensive it will never happen again.

MG16listener...My statement was intended in the spirit of friendly advice, nothing more. No offense taken on my part and certainly no there was intent to cause offense to you.

"Curious what others were adding to their system" is completely different question than the one you originally asked below.

Hello -

Does anyone know which of the current crop of Mac gear is most popular or sells the best? Just curious as I have recently bought a few pieces myself.

Last edited:
Boy, this post got off to a happy start. Over-sensitivity seems to have drifted into this forum lately. Must be tax time.

Now if you asked me in the 60's the answer was simple. MX 110 and MC 240. The 70's was a C-28 and a 2105. 80's would be either a C-32 or 33 and a 2255, but then we sold a lot of 2205's in there some where, too. By the time the 7300 came along with its mate, Mac pricing was getting to be a little extreme for our customer base. Speakers on the hole had become less efficient requiring lots of Power. Mcintosh was no longer the guaranteed best deal on the block, and older tube owners weren't turning loose of their amps. I guess one of us could call Audio Classics for a final answer. But I know tube pre-amps out sell SS ones. And 275's are very popular. So I'll go with a C2500/2600 and one or two 275's.

I signed up to view some of HI FI test magazines detailed test results. And like Stereophile. They test the 275's full bore and maybe at 10 watts, where everything else the test at lower power levels and the other brands still fail miserably in comparison. I also had fun finding out a 601 amp can easily put out close to 1000 watts and still meet specs. They drive 1 ohm loads wonderfully from the 2ohm tap easily producing over a 1000 watts. Wonder how much a 1201 or 1.2k would put out under the same conditions. 1800, 1900 watts. They do warm up tests to show if there is any difference in performance depending on whether the amp is cool or at full operating temps. Lot of charts to read and study, but its fun if your into those numbers. Plus you'll find out how much better a 601 is as compared to the legendary 501 power amps. There are great tests on tube pre-amps that will blow your mind at how well they perform. I Was checking for TT performance. And I learned quite a few things about tone arms. Its also amazing how well the Mac MT-5 turntable performs compared to its Clear Audio siblings. Wow and flutter are great but rumble is amazingly low.

According to my dealer, the MA252 is a massive hit. I freak'in LOVE mine. In fact, actually considered downsizing my entire system and just using the 252. Yes, it is that good......Scary good.

In the 80's it was the MCD 7000, that saved Mcintosh. Gordon Gow was against the CD Some of the dealers set up a turntable with a good Grado cartridge and would play the same recording switching between the LP and the new CD players. The LP's won 90+% of the time.

I have some Basie, Mills Bros, Kai Winding, Urbie Green recordings, and Deutche Grammophone recordings on both CD and LP and the LP's win hands down. The guys who mastered the ADD reissues must have had damaged hearing or very poor studio monitor speakers.

The voicing of some of todays loudspeakers reminds me of the distorted sounds of Early CD discs and playback decks.

In the 80's it was the MCD 7000, that saved Mcintosh. Gordon Gow was against the CD Some of the dealers set up a turntable with a good Grado cartridge and would play the same recording switching between the LP and the new CD players. The LP's won 90+% of the time.

I have some Basie, Mills Bros, Kai Winding, Urbie Green recordings, and Deutche Grammophone recordings on both CD and LP and the LP's win hands down. The guys who mastered the ADD reissues must have had damaged hearing or very poor studio monitor speakers.

The voicing of some of todays loudspeakers reminds me of the distorted sounds of Early CD discs and playback decks.
I suspect that a lot of CD's in the '80's were simply transposed from vinyl masters, and something profound was frequently lost in the transition. I have a lot of MP3's that sound better than early CD's.

I suspect that a lot of CD's in the '80's were simply transposed from vinyl masters, and something profound was frequently lost in the transition. I have a lot of MP3's that sound better than early CD's.
I'm told some, if not many came off later gen master tapes, some LP comp'ed.

According to my dealer, the MA252 is a massive hit. I freak'in LOVE mine. In fact, actually considered downsizing my entire system and just using the 252. Yes, it is that good......Scary good.

I know this is a relatively old post, but are you still using your MA252? I ask because I have an extremely sensitive pair of speakers that I’m considering using with the MA252.

Anyone else who can offer their experience with this integrated?

Thank you.

As to the OP's question.....a true story.

Decades ago I was sponsored into PARA by two former presidents of the organization as well as a soon to be president.

I was therfore invited to sit at the grownups table at the various meeting, dinners, parties etc. that they sponsored for dealers as well as those of various manufacturers.

I made use of these contacts as well as having the chance to rub elbows with the leaders of the industry.

Manufacturers and their reps fudge sales performance ......sometimes they outright lie.

A rep was letting me know how I was behind all the other dealer's in his territory in selling a series of new speakers......ADS CM series if memory serves me.

Acknowledging my worthlessness at representing his line I picked up a nearby phone and started dialing a number one of my sponsors, since he was doing such a good job and since he sponsored me I told the rep I am sure he would be happy to share the secrets of his success......the rep almost soiled himself. I had talked to the said dealer a few days earlier and he couldn't turn the units either......the rep was lying through his teeth.

Truth is audio is regional and seasonal.....products sell well in some regions and do badly in others.......

I know that when I look at the numbers sold posted in the compendium I sometimes find myself questioning the number indicated for some products......If our numbers were 5 to 1 someone else's had to be 1 to 5 somewhere else.

Currently, C47, C52, C2600, and MC452 seem to be very popular.
I agree here, these would have to be some of the most common models talked about, I 'd say the MC452 seems to be under the spotlight, its become very popular since the MC462 has come on the scene.. most likely due to being more accessible to folk on a budget...

Back
Top Bottom