Most powerful receiver ever manufactured?

I think that the monster receivers that were spawned by the the power wars are awesome.It was interesting to see how far the designers could push the envelope,just like with the musclecars of the late 60s early 70s.It happened 10 yrs. later for audio and 65,000,000 yrs. earlier for the dinosaurs.

I don't believe there really were any. By the time the monster receivers were built, Fisher, Scott and Marantz were no longer in US hands. Only McIntosh survived, and they never attempted to build a monster receiver. I cannot recall any other brands that were truly US-made.

Anyone know a US entrant?

Yup, one made by Hervic. Which was really made by SAE.

Attachments

• herv_b_small.jpg
    herv_b_small.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 240
  • hr150_001.jpg
    hr150_001.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 120
Has anyone who had these receivers had it up to their max power? I wonder if listening at those levels for a extended period of time would effect your hearing.

For myself, I have an SX-950 that I only crank it up to 1/4th of the way up. I don't like it too loud anyways. I once had it to 12:00 position and I could not hear myself talk or yell.

I've owned my SX-1980 since 1979 and I can honestly tell you.... NO, not even once did I peg those meters. I think the most I seen was around the 100 watt area. And that was with my 901s. When I had my Lascalas hooked to the 1980, I dont think I could take more then 50 Watts. Oh, and just so ya know.... I Love It LOUD

I used to own the second-most-powerful receiver ever made, the Marantz 2600. In addition to being a massive mooring to haul around when needed, the interior looked like the wiring inside an ICBM casing. I went the seperates route and I greatly enjoy the ease of maintenance, moving, and mixing and matching. When you pack everything into a receiver that size corners are bound to be cut. I have an unremarkable 200WPC power amp that weighs almost as much as the 2600 and is just as large, so that says something.

John's 2600 became my 2600 a few years ago. :D He's right: It's a mother to move around...so I tend not to. When my tech gave it a full service, he videotaped himself taking it apart so he'd be sure to reassemble it correctly...it is that complex inside.

My primary system is now composed of separates, but the 2600 is the best sounding receiver I've ever heard. It's currently driving a pair of KLH Model Fives, but the best match was with my AR LSTs, now sadly in storage.

A bit off the topic of the original post, but this is exactly where I am WRT giant receivers. I guess the fascination with them is similar to the appeal of a 1977 Cadillac Eldorado with the 500 ci engine. Or the current trend of commuting in a Ford F350 4x4 crewcab. Wretched excess but kind of cool in a certain way just because they are so huge and over the top. Either that or the whole penis extension thing, which I think certainly applies to the big trucks and maybe explains some of the fascination with big receivers?

For value, performance, reliability and flexibility the monster receivers leave a lot to be desired IMO. But in the end I guess that is not what its all about. Its about having the BIGGEST.

It's often not about what you need. It's about what you want. :yes:

I have a question: why is it so important to be able to have a sound system that can work within the entire SuperDome? Who gives a contential Damn about the most powerful amplifier.

I guess you may be able to tell that I am a big valve person, so anything over 35-40 watts RMS is overkill anyway.

I own a couple of musclecars with decent horsepower and torque. Now I'm not running around town punching the pedal to the metal all the time, but it sure is nice to know that if I wanted to.... I could! Sometimes the occasion just presents itself to use that available power :D and flex those muscles.

Hi Rat, I know this is 3 years later, but my curious browsing has brought me to this thread. I must correct you, in a polite way, the last year for the 500 cube caddy was 1976. Today the "Big is Back", in a modern way, however. We all know the shiny knobs, and buttons and the "look" will always be a thing of the past, but There's just no substitute for cubic inches. :)

The interesting thing is that in today's market the Pioneer SX-1980 fetches MORE than a McIntosh MAC 4100, all things being equal- despite the fact that the 4100 listed at $1500 and the SX-1980 listed at $1250 in 1978 especially since the Pioneer was far more likely sold with a discount than the MAC. I'm guessing the Pioneers probably didn't survive quite as well as the MACs and/or didn't sell as well when new due to their colossal size. From all that I have read, the SX-1980 was really a different animal altogether from its brother, the SX-1280.

P.S. You are correct; 1976 was the last year for the 500; the 425 was used in the new downsized 1977 models plus the carryover 1977 Eldorado.

Yup, one made by Hervic. Which was really made by SAE.
Wow!!! Looks like there were three models. I've never heard anything of these units, but I have an SAE stack, and I'd love to have a receiver, even if it's under another name. Now, the hunt for an HR-250 is on!

I guess I typically listen at under 5 watts and show off at 25 watts. I have never had my SA-9100's anywhere near their rated 60 watts. So I guess if you want to build a BIG fire and stand in the woods these monster recievers are great. Me I'll take a small fire and sit next to it.

In the power wars, Technics was victorious. 300 WPC into 8 ohms. Over $2000 new, in 1978 money.

Wrong, the Technics was rated at 330 watts per channel. It was the G-33000 that was rated at 300. Some argue that the technics numbers were fudged a little bit. Take a 33k apart and compare it to the techincs..they don't even compare. The 33k is WAY more robust..

I own a couple of musclecars with decent horsepower and torque. Now I'm not running around town punching the pedal to the metal all the time, but it sure is nice to know that if I wanted to.... I could! Sometimes the occasion just presents itself to use that available power :D and flex those muscles.

I didn't read through this whole thread but the reason for more watts/power (I've been taught) is so you can achieve a sound criteria through your speakers without adding distortion. Any time you crank up a 30 watt amp to achieve a respectable db volume you are adding distortion. At the same db with a 100+watt amp you are getting clean power to the speakers. It's not about how loud it will go. At the same db with a 30 watt amp against the 100+watt amp you would be likely blow your speakers 10x's.

I've had some amplfiers hitting almost 200W/ch. Deep, steady bass over Polk 1.2TL speakers.

Agreed, the Sansui was a way superior receiver in real life in my opinion. The upper end Technics tended to be less reliable in practice. I would agree about the numbers being fudged a little here. I even liked the upper Pioneers better than the Technics and I have owned examples of them.

Not necessarily. What about if your favorite speakers were power hungry, inefficient acoustic suspension designs. Those aren't ideal candidates for a 35 watts/channel receiver to be heard at their very best. I own The Advent Loudspeaker. I am powering my pair with a Sansui 4000 and mostly happy with it. But the best thing to happen to these speakers was one of these monster receivers (I tried them with a Sansui 9090 once which a fellow loaned me for a few months, boy was I sad to see that Sansui go). The best I ever heard them with a receiver.

Back
Top Bottom