Most powerful receiver ever manufactured?

Although the G33K and SA-1K are technically tied at 330 wpc, the 4 ohm performance is the deciding factor IMO. Based on the SA-1K's meager 560 watt max consumption, I'd say the amp is maxed out to make it's 8 ohm rating and has nothing left. OTOH, I think the G33K has dual toroids which means plenty of overhead.

G33000 King of Receivers in my book. Sansui at their very best! Headroom to spare over that 330 WPC rating which puts it over the Technics easily. And also built like the Brick Outhouse to boot and sonically very nice.

Although the G33K and SA-1K are technically tied at 330 wpc, the 4 ohm performance is the deciding factor IMO. Based on the SA-1K's meager 560 watt max consumption, I'd say the amp is maxed out to make it's 8 ohm rating and has nothing left. OTOH, I think the G33K has dual toroids which means plenty of overhead.

I think this was discussed before - the 560 watt is definitely a misprint.

I also would throw the Hitachi SR2004 into the mix - Unit was rated at 400 watts class G I believe.

The G-33k does have dual toroidal trannies. The technics has one square transformer. The advertised watts for the 33 were 300/ch. but definitely underrated. My G-22k was clocked at 400w RMS @ 4 ohms...but advertised power was 220. I've never had the G-33k checked. The 4 ohm performance is decent.. it gets a workout but still handles it.

it feels good to know that your gear is no mere wimp.. i got 120w@8ohms and is more than enough. im usually listening at around 0.1w to 1w under normal conditions.. and up to around 32w when im really jammin or watching a good movie.

reciently i bought a second m-4. now i gotta figure out what to do with this toy :D

The G-33k does have dual toroidal trannies. The technics has one square transformer. The advertised watts for the 33 were 300/ch. but definitely underrated. My G-22k was clocked at 400w RMS @ 4 ohms...but advertised power was 220. I've never had the G-33k checked. The 4 ohm performance is decent.. it gets a workout but still handles it.

The other thing to consider is the distortion at full power, I challenge any of those amps to have as low THD 20hz-20khz as the G-22/33K......

I think this was discussed before - the 560 watt is definitely a misprint.

I also would throw the Hitachi SR2004 into the mix - Unit was rated at 400 watts class G I believe.

The SR2004 had dynamic overhead of 400 wpc which is not the same as 4 ohm FTC. That being said, the highish number indicates good reserves for dips.

Regarding the SA-1000, we'll talk about it again to get the correct info out.

I have an SA-1000 but it is too heavy to move. However, the 560 max consumption is what I remember on the back panel. The SA-1000 had only 3 pairs of output transistors PER channel so there are not many to spread the load compared to less powerful but better built amps like the Concept 16.5 which has four pairs per channel for half the rated power (165 wpc vs. 330 in the SA-1000). IMO, the SA-1000 specs would read much better if they had been more conservative and rated say around 250, which is what this amp feels like to me.

it feels good to know that your gear is no mere wimp.. i got 120w@8ohms and is more than enough. im usually listening at around 0.1w to 1w under normal conditions.. and up to around 32w when im really jammin or watching a good movie.

reciently i bought a second m-4. now i gotta figure out what to do with this toy :D

M-4's typically scope out at 155+wpc before clipping@1Khz@8Ω..
now i gotta figure out what to do with this toy
:scratch2: C-4 with 2 pre-outs..Need more speakers..:thmbsp:

ironically, many of those receivers weren't even rated for 4 ohms.
Power - I would say many who say they don;t see the need (not all, but many) have never heard a 50wpc amp and say a 200wpc amp compared on the same speakers.
For the vast majority of speakers, there is a pretty fair difference.
Personally tho, and this is just me, especially if I were spending $2k plus which many of these go for - I'll take a power amp that can handle 1 and 2 ohms loads over a receiver any day.
Stick that receiver on some of the more very inefficient speakers that are hanging out in the 1 and 2 ohm range with some real nasty phase angles at say 120hz iand you may start to wonder why suddenly there is power but no output.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom