Most Underrated/Overrated Component or Brand

Interestingly, no one seems to comment on the SINGLE digit Marantz models, made when Saul was still at the helm. I have a pair of Model 5 amplifiers that I absolutely LOVE, and will never give up for ANY amount of money.

I have not found any of his products under rated in either the market place or the audio lovers' systems. Well, maybe the SLT that was designed during his reign but released after he left. I do not track the lineup any more but when I did if anything because of the fickle collector's market, especially overseas, if anything over priced.

Most underrated Yamaha
NS-2000 are spellbindingly excellent- yet almost no info reviews on the net - I know they are vintage. I think they are one of the all time greatest audio bargains ever.

Most overrated - B&W come on $30k and my Yamhas are not at all embarrassed - in fact give them a run for the money.

Every piece of vintage Philips gear I have gotten my hands on has been exceptional.

I took me quite a while to find a post about Philips. That being said, their HiFi line of speakers, amps, etc are absolutely UNrated which I guess would be underrated on this thread. Also I'd add the Braun/ADS brand, even though many are huge fans of them, they are not properly "rated" given the all around quality that surrounds the product line, and how well they compare to todays products.

I NAD really overrated? While I am not an expert on their gear, are they not an affordable Hifi option for those on a budget? I mean not everyone can afford the McI's, Krells, Brystons, and the rest.

As for overrated brands being named in this thread, it's probably not fair to diminish a brands popularity and longstanding reputation simply because they are expensive. McIntosh has been around long enough to have earned their place in audio history, I don't have any, but would like to. As for Bose, after seeing all the speakers in for repairs at a local speaker repair shop, I was amazed at how many were Bose, the tech/owner said he could make a living on repairing and refoaming the 901's alone.

Overrated for me also would be the asking prices for vintage JBL speakers. I have some of them, but can't see paying what people are asking for today.

Units based on Darlington / STK packs are underrated.

These designs can have excellent sound quality. They minimize the size of the loop formed between positive and negative supply rails, which minimizes the strength of induced magnetic fields. They feature a thermal sensing element where God intended, right on the output devices, so they should be able to provide a very well controlled bias current.

Granted they're not easy to replace. If such a unit is working well though, grab it.

Considering what persons pay for Marantz 2270, 2285, etc. Any Mc receiver is under rated. I would pick a 1900 or 4100 over any of the Marantz "have to haves" and end up with better reliability, support and sound. And, I am not particularly a McIntosh receiver lover by any means as more than a few of my writings will testify to.
I have/had both...I still have the 1900...I have 2.

Current Marantz gear...(4) 1060, (2) 2230 and 4270. My Pimped Up 1060 can play with the Mac 1900 easily...Something about the 1900 sound that is so "Sexy"...Yes...It's been Recapped with the Good stuff.

In my humble opinion, the Pro-ject Carbon debut turntables are underrated. I can't believe how good a decently recorded record from the 60's sounds on that thing. Mind you, it has an ortofon cartridge which has something to say about it.

In the overrated category, my vote goes to Emotiva. After owning 3 of their components, and seeing some of the train wreck processors, multiple year late releases and lame excuses( Quote: "We didn't realize the DAC chip volume control was lossy because the prints were confusing").

Most underrated, Panasonic, stuff lasts about forever.

Most overrated, Panasonic, stuff sounds like crap.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Overrated: Bose takes the crown. Runner-up: Sansui and all modern-day HT manufacturers...especially 70s big names.

Underrated: Nikko, Onkyo. Honorable mention: Miida.

This is the Energizer Bunny thread. 11+ years and still going. :banana:

I don't have a lot of listening experience but I would have to add the early Fisher SS to in the underrated category.

I feel that Denon is one of the most over rated. Sonically it is just about the same as my Pioneer htr, but as far as surround sound processing and seperation the Pioneer blows it away. And the Pioneer is. A good ten years older if not more. I have never hated a piece of audio gear as much as this Denon. Reeks of cheap plastic everywhere too.

Ok I feel better after venting. Thanks!

I've been an audiophile since 1976 when I bought my first audio system. It has been my experience that Harman/Kardon has been the most under rated audio gear. Even back in the 1970s Harman/Kardon was not on everybody's list of audio components to buy.

The Citation series was possibly one of the best high end that was affordable, and they are in high regard. The Citation series was produced to be as good as McIntosh. The twin powered series receivers is a remarkable component in its own rite.

4Play,
I'm going to second your opinion on the HK Citation, at least from a tuner perspective. In late 2014 I picked up a very clean Citation 18. Boy, the build quality of that tuner rivals just about anything else I have or have seen. The sound was pretty good. I just finished a series of upgrade mods over the holidays and this tuner is now my #2 best sounding piece, trailing only slightly my Mike Williams modified Sansui TU-9900. The Sansui can't match the HK for build quality though.

Bill C.

Apart from the tape units Teac gear flies way under the radar, yet it really is quite good. I have a little 75 w/ch Teac AX-75 Mk II integrated and it is as good as anything of its general range and better than most. It even has choice of MM or MC in the phono stage. Some of the early SS units I've seen from the late 60s or so are gorgeous.

extremely overrated: everything ever made by Bose.
overrated: anything made for home cinema and with WAF.
somewhat overrated: everything with tubes.

underrated: A lot of low powered receivers and amps, check out all the Philips "made in Belgium" stuff from the 79-81 era,
Vintage ss units like Fisher and Scott... so probably Zenith as well?
Wide baffle speakers, huge speakers, 3 and 4 way speakers.

under-rated:
Hitachi
Kenwood
Harman Kardon
Akai
Jamo
Celestion
Accuphase

over-rated
Sansui
Bose
B&O
Linn
Naim
Phase Linear
Tubes in general
JBL Speakers in general

From my experience, in no real order..
Under Rated:
Kenwood. My personal favorite brand and most of the stuff goes cheap locally as I guess people don't consider it as nice as I do.
JVC's CD Players. I've heard a few and I quite like them, especially as cheap as one can get them.
Onkyo's older gear (think 70s and 80s)
Pioneer's lower-end amps (think SA-720 and such). Sure, you hear about the bigger gear like the SX980 and whatnot but the little SA720s and such are really good receivers from my experience, better than my Harman Kardon 330B.
The cheap chinese tube\hybrid gear. Not the best in the world but for $50 or so you can get a fairly decent hybrid headphone amp such as a Little Bear P1. They aren't the quietest but at $45 new they're pretty good.

Over Rated:
McIntosh. I've heard some gear and while nice I don't find it superior enough to justify the price.
Sansui. It seems (in my area) people seem to like it more than anything else and commands higher prices but doesn't sound any better than my cheap Kenwood KR-4070.
Marantz. Once again, there is some nice sounding stuff but it's all over priced imo.
Sony Home Theatre Receivers. This here isn't so much online but locally again. Everyone acted like my Sony STR-DA5300ES was some super insanely great home theatre receiver, I mean it was TOTL! It sounds like shit, remotes are expensive, universal remotes lack some of the buttons needed for proper setup and it runs hot.

I wonder how much experience people have with some of the things they are over and under rating?

Vintage Marantz and Sansui is some of the best sounding vintage stuff out there. Don't think it's worth it? Don't buy it.

Classic Fisher, Scott, and Sherwood tube gear is some of the sweetest sounding stuff I've ever heard and owned. Tube gear does take some tweaking and many people just want plug and play but the good stuff sounds awesome.

McIntosh is like Rolls Royce. It is what it is. It is worth it? To many people, it obviously is. Having sold it back in the day, it definately has some great things going for it. Impeccable build quality and the fact that you are owning something someone took great care to manufacture, means a lot. They sound great too.

I have no dogs in this fight, just my opinions. My only tube piece right now is a broken Sansui 1000A in the que to be repaired. My receiver right now is a Harman Kardon 730 and I love it. But I also love my Yamaha CR-840 and Realistic STA-180, and my Marantz 2220B, and my Luxman................

Last edited:
Underrated:
These mid & late eighties:
Kyocera, Luxman R series, Pioneer Elite, Proton, NAD.

Over rated: ( Price vs Audible Performance )
McIntosh
B & O
Marantz
Silver Pioneer

+1 on Proton as underrated.

Add NAD to overrated and Elite to way overrated.

Back
Top Bottom