Most Underrated/Overrated Component or Brand

Great topic to read through, actually gave me the courage to investigate some brands I never looked at before and my regards are both very in line with previous post, but also going against it quite badly...

overrated = too expensive for the quality

for me it's the +70's marrantz. I own a 1060 which is ok as a preamp, but not worth 3-400 euro. All of them are hugely over priced.
secondly it's expensive speaker cable, just bullshit to pay hundreds or even thousands of euro for some cable, copper is just fine
thirdly it's vintage speakers, pre 70's, like tannoy etc. Foam surrounds are dying, electronics are dying, it's just decaying over time. I like the look of it but they need a lot of work to sound great
'A class' amps. Did not hear the difference, to me it's just a really inefficient amplifier which costs crazy money

underrated

(don't kill me): BOSE 1800 series 1 amp. (and generally, older BOSE gear). It's built without compromise and can be had (reasonably) cheap as no one cares about BOSE due to the audiophile threads (thanks guys :) :) ) Cheap to fix as well.
90's yamaha. I bought a mint yamaha 90's system for 100 euro, 3 integrated amps (2 of them with pre out so you can link them), a very nicely built CD player, tuner, excellent casette deck, ... Great sound, all with remote control, all stepless volume control, worked flawlessly (though 20+ yrs old) but gets no credit whatso-ever. Sold the unites mostly seperately and in the end got 250 euro when I sold it on. Can't believe for the same money people are buying some vintage 40+ yr old stuff of mediocre quality (let's face it, for 250 you cannot buy 3 vintage amps, tuner, ... of great quality) which needs a 'recap', 'cleaning potmeter', ..... to work properly

Due to these experiences I'm actually going to check out a yamaha pre amp (C85) this weekend to compare to the 'famous' marantz 1060. Looking forward to hear the difference!

Under rated would have been Stax.

They built top notch high end items in the 70's---their amps & speakers. Headphones. The worst thing they did was likely the tonearm I had from them; UA7.

As I type, the Cambridge Audio amps are seemingly underrated at this point. I am using the CX A80, @ 80wpc, with an internal dac, paired with two sets of refurbed ADS speakers, which are getting the love they deserve now after having to survive the 60's, 70's, 80's without being where they should have been in the field of competition(L980/L880), this amp is pure bliss, I have tried several different combinations with these speakers, and the Cambridge is the ONE.

I am going counter-culture in this thread and offering up Bose 601-series II speakers as under-rated.
I have a pair and I find them to be very good. Of course, having paid $5/each for them at a yard sale, and then getting all invested in them by replacing the woofer surrounds biases me somewhat. Still, they have the tightest bass of my speakers. They could have a bit more strength in the midrange; they have a bit of a 'loudness-ON' character to them. They could be more efficient as well. Regardless, they are very easy on the ear.

I also will jump on the Realistic bandwagon. Great stuff and not limited to the TOTL gear either. I had a near-BOTL STA-430 receiver whose amplifier was a 10W/ch thing of beauty.

I run a Sherwood S7100-A in my bedroom system that sounds seriously good and is built in a manner that is definitely a cut above its 15-ish W/ch competitors at the time.

IMHO underrated in the 70's vintage - JVC, Sherwood, scott, akai (amps)
Overrated pioneer. I mean they are fine, but really don't get what's so special about those that make people run after them.
Thanks.
Srinath,

I have some 70s Toshiba speakers that have remained in the main listening rotation over many,many other well regarded speakers.

Oooo I have "Toshiba concave" speakers - that well are crap, but the cabinets are plywood, and they're light and sealed up tight. I plan on making hangers out of them with a real woofer and tweeter.
Toshiba SA735 IMHO is also a good knock off of a pioneer sx 650 (I think).
Thanks.
Srinath.

Another question. What in your opinion, is the most underrated vintage component or brand?

Just for fun, what about the most overrated brand or component?

:D
IMO the most underrated stereo receiver is the Heathkit AR1500 / AR1500A. Caviat: Due to age they must be completely rebuilt with ALL new capacitors and resistors or otherwise can sound very poor. Original internals did not age well. Unfortunately a complete rebuild will run you about $500-$800. Still worth it though as they easily outperform the Marantz & Sansui gear of the day.

Of the 30 or so yr 65 to 78 that I have the Marantz 2226 is over rated for performance but not durability.
The Kenwood TK-140X is under rated and next is the Sherwood S8900A.

I posted to this thread about a year ago and offered that the Sherwood S7100A was a fine receiver. I have compared it, head-to-head to several other receivers over the last few weeks and it impresses me more each time I do so. I do not have a better-sounding receiver.

In the process of swapping things around, my Sansui SP-2500 speakers have made it back into active duty. Though I had advocated for them in the past, I had forgotten how good they really are. Especially for the acoustic stuff I listen to most of the time, they are great sounding speakers. Way under-rated and sound, and the best build quality of any of my speakers.

There is always an instigator in the crowd, isn't there?:)
Cheer up everybody!
ually gave me the courage to investigate some brands I never looked at before and my regards are both very in line with previous post, but also going against it quite badly...

overrated = too expensive for the quality

Here we go again
:bye:

Under rated would have been Stax.

They built top notch high end items in the 70's---their amps & speakers. Headphones. The worst thing they did was likely the tonearm I had from them; UA7.
Have to agree here.

Back
Top Bottom