[mostly] Jazz on late night Czech TV 1998-2003 thread

Mr.White

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
From 1998 to 2003 I lived in the Czech Republic. It was quite common for the Czech state TV stations to broadcast late at night both current and archival Jazz concerts recorded in their country. I thought I would start uploading what I recorded that isn't already on YT.

First off the complete broadcast of Sonny Rollins live in Prague in 1982. Stay tuned for more Jazz!

Here is the complete 30 minute document of the Sonny Sharrock Band's performance at Lucerna Hall in Prague Czechoslovakia on April 10, 1990. Previously only about 6 minutes has ever appeared on YT'

All pretty good stuff you've listed, but bein' a "geetar guy", this one is my favourite. Watching and listening to Sonny's playing technique, it strikes me that his strings seem (IMO) to be "loosely" strung, i.e., they appear to have a lotta "play" ("slack"?). Are there any other "geetar" cats out there who've looked @ this set (it's 30 minutes), watched the close-camera shots of Sonny's left hand action, and sensed "loose" string tension? Or, perhaps, it's nothing more than my (false) impression, based on my "visual" estimation of Sonny's left-hand" technique?

Last edited:
^^^ nb: I've seen him play live before, in person and @ video, and not previously, AFAICR, noted this phenomenon.

Of all the concerts that I taped off CZTV THIS is my favorite and it made me a big Georgie Fame fan! Part 2 will be coming shortly!

The James Carter Electric Groove Band - Jazz Goes To Town Festival, Hradec Králové October 21, 2000;

Part 2;

Part 3;

Part 4;

I also have the Slovak TV broadcast of the following night, October 22, 2000 @ Bratislava Jazz Days Festival. If anyone would like me to upload that also just let me know.

Prague International Jazz Festival 1968: Gustav Brom Orchestra/Maynard Ferguson/Tony Scott w/ S+H Quartet/Sandy Brown

some of this footage is on YT in lesser quality, here are the complete broadcasts;

Part 2;

Part 3;

Part 4;

Part 5;

Found a bunch of Kurt Elling Cds at SA the other day and was reminded of this in my archive. Great version of "The Joker";

Back
Top Bottom