Movie Trivia!

Filmboydoug said:
Greasers Palace
Dude!
my all time favorite movie.
when it first came out I went to see it like 10 times in a row. We would sit in the theatre with my friends and laugh hysterically while all the other people would give us strange looks and move to other seats.
"If Ya feel...ya healed!!"
"I can crawl again....I can crawl again....I can crawl again...."

Your turn D!

This hilarious satire marked the debut of James Earl Jones.

Dan Blocker (Hoss from Bonanza) was up for a role but the idea was rejected by his agent who thought the script "Too Pinko".

again...too easy

I know this one but I will defer to someone else.
Guess I am a well of useless information and trivia :scratch2: :D

Damn Rooskies!

Wow, and I just caught the end of this earlier this week........

Dr Strangelove!!

Correct-o-mundo! Peter Sellers was at first supposed to play 4 roles. Slim Pickens replaced him as major Kong due to an ankle injury. Pickens was not given the entire script and was not told it was a farce, and was told to play the role straight.

Go Andyman!

Last edited:
Got lucky on that one; there's been some good stuff here.

Let's hope this one isn't too easy.

Who's film debut featured him tying an old woman into a wheelchair and shoving her down a flight of stairs??
Name the actor and the film.

That too is one of my all time favorite movies, it is probably the roles all the actors in it are known for. When Peter Sellers was Dr. Strangelove, sitting in his wheelchair and strangling himself, I nearly died laughing. Sterling Hayden was perfect as the General Ripper gone mad, George C. Scott in his best ever role. There are so many classic lines in that movie, "Sap and impurify my natural bodily fluids", "Nuclear war toe-to-toe with the Russkies", "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!!!." Stanley Kubrick didn't make a ton of movies, but everyone he did make is a classic.

Wow, a whole day and no guesses???

Here's a clue: It's a 40's film noir classic.

Damn, didn't think this would be a thread killer???????

It was Richard Widmarks' debut as the psychotic killer Tommy Udo in the 1947 classic "Kiss of Death" which was a horrible POS remake a few years back with that Caruso dude from NYPD Blue and Nicholas Cage :yuck:

I'll post something easier in a bit

What movie resurrected the old Vista-Vison film format.....as a viable method for shooting special effects?

(Movies such as "Ben-Hur" were shot in Vista-vision....the format became obselete until...UNTIL????)

It depends how recent you are talking. It was used for special effects by Lucasfilm for A New Hope and continues to be used in that application still. Not sure if (m)any films used it exclusively in the last 40 years.

Yes, dnewmaO4!

Star Wars (A New Hope) 1977.

Vista-vison cameras were rebuilt and integrated with a computerized motion-control system for photography of model spaceships. Actors were still filmed with traditional Panavision.
Lucas was warned by "old school" effects people that the type of effects he wanted...the illusion of fast moving spaceships...would have a "strobe" like effect on the image. The ships would appear to move in a herky-jerky kind of motion.
The ILM crew hired by GL new that the old obselete vista vision format would eliminate this problem since the film moves horizontaly through the shutter as it is exposed.

It was a milestone in special effects photography

After Star Wars...every movie & TV show with special effects....such as fast moving spaceships & aircraft...adopted the system.
I'm not an expert on these things at all....I just finished a good book detailing the history of Industrial Light & Magic (ILM). I found the book interesting.

Song

Ther ia a very bad scfi movie that at the end had a male vocalist sing "She's not there" in a low bluesy style. What was the movie ?

RussinOhio said:
Yes, dnewmaO4!

The ILM crew hired by GL new that the old obselete vista vision format would eliminate this problem since the film moves horizontaly through the shutter as it is exposed.

This explanation sounds VERY hokey, since the fim in ANY movie camera is stationary while it is being exposed - otherwise, stationary objects would leave very objectionable streaks. However, if the special effects camera and the models were in motion during the exposure of each frame (as they would be in real-world scenes), you would get more or less normal motion blur, reducing the strobe effects. Maybe that is what they meant?

The spacecraft models remain absolutely still during filming. It is the camera that moved, giving the illusion of a moving object.

If interested in the subject....find a copy of the book "Industrial Light & Magic: The Art Of Special Effects"....by Thomas G. Smith.

EVERYTHING you'd ever want to know about filming effects in the original movie.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom