Movies that haven't been on TV in a while

Way back in the late 80s (early 90s?) 10tv's Fritz the Night Owl hosted a somewhat marathon showing of Lynch's Dune on the late late show. 3-4 hours w/ads. I don't think I've seen it in any medium since.

Not to be confused with Fritz the Cat ...

53-og.jpg

And ya ... the point's been made, a lot of these films are on more often than you might think, just on one of the thousands of stations you don't watch ...

Ouch. If they own the rights for it, means I won't be seeing it any time soon. No Turner network OTA around here.

Was on here about a year ago, lots of audio removed though.

The TV edit of Blazing Saddles is notoriously bad. Among 70s movies that get cut up for the small screen, I can only think of Smokey and the Bandit as one that might be more altered than Saddles was.

Not to be confused with Fritz the Cat ...

53-og.jpg

And ya ... the point's been made, a lot of these films are on more often than you might think, just on one of the thousands of stations you don't watch ...

There would be no confusing them. Would be most amused if Fritz the Cat ever made it on broadcast around here though.

The Loved One (1965). A truly bizarre flick about the funeral industry. I saw it once on TV in the early 70s and never forgot it but not sure I'd sit through it again. Starred Robert Preston and Rod Steiger, I think. Very very weird movie.

I saw it at the show around 40 years ago. It was on TCM or MGM about 3 weeks ago.

Most old movies are shown according to who needs royalty money next month. Some of these old heirs of long gone actor/actresses get in battle royal this time of the year for Pre Christmas royalties.
I think it was the one after that, Support your local Gunfighter.

"Phantasm" (1979) One of my all-time favorite low-budget thrillers

"To Live And Die In L.A." (1985) This film took a long time before it was ever released on DVD, and doesn`t get aired all that often on my cable network. Love the soundtrack, too....

"Friends Of Eddie Coyle" (1973) Robert Mitchum and Peter Boyle are small-time wiseguys from rural New England, who prove that there really is no honor among thieves....

"Taxi Driver" was on last Saturday, It started at 9:00am, and aired on WGN America. Heck of a movie, and a really odd start time due to content. "Edited for Content" for sure.

Super Fuzz and Modern Problems. Endless rotation in the early 80's on HBO. Probably wore them out!

This was on TV just after midnight New Year's Day around 1971 or 72. I've never seen it since. A great movie if you like sailing and scenery. :)

i-sailed-to-tahiti-with-an-all-girl-crew-quinn-01.jpg
p39447_p_v8_aa.jpg

The Bad Seed with Patty McCormick used to be on all the time. Haven't seen it on TV in ages.

"This Island Earth" is rarely played... oh well, interocitor parts are hard to find, anyway... I would also like to see the made for TV version of Dune, one of the rare decent SCI-FI channel (oops, I mean SyFy channel) movies that was made.

Last edited:
"To Have and Have Not" (1944)
Another Bogie/Bacall classic, with Walter Brennan and Hoagy Carmichael in the mix. In case you`ve just returned from an 80-year alien abduction, the film centers around WW II intrigue in Martinique, where fishing boat captain "Steve" (Bogart) meets gorgeous young traveler "Slim" (Bacall). Naturally, sparks fly, evil Nazis provide the buzzkill, and Steve`s old rummy deckhand "Eddie" (Brennan) dispenses wisdom ("Was you ever bit by a dead bee ?)
B&B`s first pairing (and Bacall`s debut,all of 19 years old !) where they fell for each other IRL. Bacall was the very definition of "sophistication", wise beyond her years....

A movie called "Slither" starring James Caan and Peter Boyle was standard Friday Night Movie fare in the 70s. Cool flick that has vanished.

Back
Top Bottom