Movies Worth Watching

Stalag 17 (1953). Written & directed by Billy Wilder, and starring William Holden. One of the best movies ever made in my opinion.

the hangover? that movie is a piece of horseshit. [Quotes deleted text]

That movie was alright. It may not be to your taste, but not every movie is made to suit everyone - and thank god, if one movie had to appeal to everyone, it would be a awful experiance. Liking a bad comedy movie, or bad movie even, isn't a sign of personal integrity, some people just like certain things, and like a wide range of movie.

Unintentionally, i've seen "meet the spartans", "epic movie", "disaster movie", etc each three times. Guess what, I still like Sergio Leone, and a handfull of other great directors. I'll admit the hangover isn't my type of movie, but it has its moments...there is enough there to see how it can appeal to some people, your, or my flavor or not...I like "The jerk" and "airplane" a lot, but both those movies, especially "the jerk" could be viewed as terrible, if you didn't like that brand of comedy. Comedy is probably the worst of film genres to rate, as it's personal preference, and hard to judge between them.

Also, the phrase you added didn't help;)

~just got a VHS copy of "Evil dead 2", so now I have the full set on tape:rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fell asleep to "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" last night on HBO On Demand.
That's one I always can watch

Also liked "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" which is some well done Terry Gilliam trippiness...

And I'll +1 "Stalag 17" too. William Holden did some good stuff :thmbsp:

i finally saw Gran Torino last weekend after many 'worth watching' recommendations. i've not a big fan of Clint's directorial work, but i was particularly disappointed...

Unforgiven, A Perfect World, Play Misty for me - great movies if you haven't seen them. Way better than Gran Torino

Definitely a great flick, and not at all anything like what I expected. I've watched streamed over Netflix on my boys' XBox 360, and while the XBox does its best to ruin your moving watching experience by:

- flooding the room with obnoxious fan noise
- sending you notifications of whenever one of your (or your kids' in my case) gaming buddies appears online
- letting you know everytime Netflix is adjusting your video quality to match your available bandwidth

And while the video quality of a streamed Netflix movie is somewhere between VHS and DVD (depending on your connection speed), the movie completely overwhelmed these distractions, sucked me right in. Great story. Beautifully acted. Great use of special effects. Great use of an important 20th century event (the Spanish Civil War) that gets very little attention in the U.S. as a setting for the movie.

Amelie

Check out, too, if someone hasn't already mentioned it, Amelie. What a great little flick. Humorous. Grown up. Beautifully shot. And Audrey Tautou (more familiar to Americans from her role opposite Tom Hanks in The DaVinci Code) is a doll.

The first time I saw it, I went with my wife's little sister (my wife was a journalist at the time and was working second shift and we were bored with sitting around waiting for her to get off work). I came out of the theater with the biggest crush on her (she's a Francophile, and this movie made me really grok why).

So, I had to, a couple weeks later, take my wife. I walked out of the theater with the biggest crush on my wife...

Must be something about the movie.

Amelie is cool. Also great/beautiful from the same director is City of Lost children - and the darker Delicatesn

Unforgiven, A Perfect World, Play Misty for me - great movies if you haven't seen them. Way better than Gran Torino

I liked them too. Now I am playing all my old DVD 5.1 with my new HD A/V Receiver and new Klipsch reference surrounds and wow I was missing the full experience of thse movies................ what a piece of junk my old Bose 5.1 Lifestyle 12 was.......glad I purchased it used back in 1998. My Pop passed and I hooked up his old Cornwalls and 5K later all new TV and sourround and two powered subs........ WOW big difference. Bose is junk after owning Klipsch and good HD Receiver and Bluray player.Looking for old movies 5.1 with good sound tracks. I need to find A Perfect World.

Just finished speed, pretty good movie all in all, nice action, and Dennis Hopper is almost always great. I didn't like the small humor that felt somewhat forced, and the leading actress (Sandra bullock) wasn't the right choice, I think...way to nonchalant about the whole bomb thing. Overall, a good movie though:yes:

Amelie

Check out, too, if someone hasn't already mentioned it, Amelie. What a great little flick. Humorous. Grown up. Beautifully shot. And Audrey Tautou (more familiar to Americans from her role opposite Tom Hanks in The DaVinci Code) is a doll.

The first time I saw it, I went with my wife's little sister (my wife was a journalist at the time and was working second shift and we were bored with sitting around waiting for her to get off work). I came out of the theater with the biggest crush on her (she's a Francophile, and this movie made me really grok why).

So, I had to, a couple weeks later, take my wife. I walked out of the theater with the biggest crush on my wife...

Must be something about the movie.

She also stars in the very involved "A Very Long Engagement". This is a French film about a determine woman's quest to find her lover, who is presumed dead in a battle at the Somme in WW1. :thmbsp:

Moon
Sci-Fi done right. A simple premise, a mystery to uncover, and the capability of future technology and the power of corporations to do great good or great harm to the individual. Asimov himself could have written the script...it is that good. A true instant classic, and if you love good sci-fi, you are doing yourself a major disservice by missing this one. Find it, watch it. :yes:

I realize that this is an OLD thread that I'm reviving, but I thought it only fair to give credit to Glenn for having lead me to finally watching Moon last night.

His synopsis couldn't be more on the money. I would only add that I found Moon to be one of the top five best science fiction films I have ever seen, and one of the finer films (of any genre) I have seen in the last ten years. My praise for Sam Rockwell could not be higher.

Highly recommended.

I realize that this is an OLD thread that I'm reviving, but I thought it only fair to give credit to Glenn for having lead me to finally watching Moon last night.

His synopsis couldn't be more on the money. I would only add that I found Moon to be one of the top five best science fiction films I have ever seen, and one of the finer films (of any genre) I have seen in the last ten years. My praise for Sam Rockwell could not be higher.

Highly recommended.

I should check out for this one.

A few older movies that are personal favorites:

Body Heat. The movie that made Kathleen Turner and William Hurt famous.

In Harms Way. directed by Otto Preminger, staring John Wayne and a cast of thousands. One of the best war movies ever.

Patton. Probably THE best war movie ever.

Just had a movie night with 4 other people. We watched Tim Burton's The Nightmere Before Christmas and the anime Akira. Both HIGHLY recommended.

A Prophet: A french film......An illiterate enters prison and triumphs because of his wits and some luck. It provides a slice of the french criminal underground. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom