mp3 player that is not an ipod

The Creative line is supposed to have marginally superior sound over an iPod prior to the release of the new video model which supposedly makes the 5th generation iPod on par with it. So check out the Creative line.

I personally use an iPod and here's why- for me it's convenient and easy to use, something I needed after winding up in the hospital after a pretty severe accident. Prior to that it was a cd player and I had no desire for an mp3 player. But 15,000 songs at my convenience sold me. Note there are ways around the file-sharing compatability issues people claim limit the apple product. In setting up your iTunes software, you can choose AIFF format (uncompressed), or MP3 format at a bunch of different bitrates (high and low) to suit your tastes and will play on ANY universal mp3 player. The iTunes software is set up as a default to record in apple's preferred AAC format (basically MP4) but this is easily changed in its preferences. And AAC/MP4 is a format that is growing in popularity, some car stereos will now play both MP3 and AAC/MP4 burned/recorded discs.There's also Apple's proprietary format called Apple Lossless, which keeps an almost perfect reproduction of an AAIF file at half the size. This is, however, strictly an iPod format.

iPods may scratch easily, but that's why I keep my ipod in a case (one of hundreds available). And I agree the battery can end up being an issue, but firsthand me or my friends have yet to have a problem. So far so good.

iPods may scratch easily, but that's why I keep my ipod in a case (one of hundreds available). And I agree the battery can end up being an issue, but firsthand me or my friends have yet to have a problem. So far so good.

All Ni-MH or whatever they use fade over time. For 20 bucks and a minimal amount of effort, you can replace the batteries in iPods and have them going longer than ever.

Inspiribomb said:
All Ni-MH or whatever they use fade over time. For 20 bucks and a minimal amount of effort, you can replace the batteries in iPods and have them going longer than ever.

Ya know Inspi, a lot of us here on this forum can rig a solar panel to run an ipod after the battery dies. But many, many more people can't even set their VCR clocks correctly, and asking them to pry open their magically spacious music thingie just won't cut it. My niece just upgraded to the newer and more expensive version - and that's EXACTLY what Apple is counting on - that most people's lack of ingenouity (?) will lead them to upgrade than to replace.
Had Apple offered user replaceable off the shelf batteries you can bet your pancakes the ipod would not have as many decendants as it does now, thus making Apple a less profitable return. But hey, isin't that what capatilism is all about? :D

Ya know Inspi, a lot of us here on this forum can rig a solar panel to run an ipod after the battery dies. But many, many more people can't even set their VCR clocks correctly, and asking them to pry open their magically spacious music thingie just won't cut it.

You're probably right. Another reason I didn't get one was because I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon. Sheesh, around campus (and other places I'm sure) these have become a status symbol. I've never been one to follow the crowd.

PS - Just thought I'd add that today I bought the Creative Muvo TX FM 256 mB player. FM tuner, straps to my arm for working out and sounds great, all for 60 bucks. Oh, and you don't need a USB cable, it plugs right into your USB port.

Last edited:
Are any of these HDD based units able to feed a USB DAC directly? or via some docking station? It seems you need a certain USB mode to do this that only personal computers can do. Sorry I'm new to all this.
Or is there a unit or dock station that can send out music via a digital out.
I guess I want a solution that doesn't involve a PC next to my stereo. And I want to use a higher quality dac than what is provided with these devices.

What about units like Olive inc's and Fedelio... do they output music by another jack besides the RCA's? To bypass their internal DACs?

Thanks
paba

Many of the newer Creative units have a user replaceable battery. Pretty good idea. I took the cover off mine once to see how hard it would be. Looks like getting at it is easy. It solders in, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Wonder where I could get a replacement though. So far it's working fine, but it doesn't last as long as it did when it was new about 3 years ago.

Take care,

Ed

My suggestion:
iRiver h120 - 20gb. discontinued. found on you know what auction site.

optical input
optical output
AM/FM worldband radio
built in microphone
ability to connect additional microphone
ability to record stereo quality (or less for dictating)
looong battery life (12-15 hours it seems)
no silly software required to transfer music (itunes..bleh)
plays all sorts of formats
firmware upgradeable
monochrome screen conserves battery life
also acts as an external HD...plug and play via USB 2.0
backlit in-line remote
exceptional sound quality (optical out is amazing!)
I have it setup through my KA-907 Kenwood integrated powering my Yamaha NS-1000 monitors. I can't imagine a better way to improve this setup other than using the optical out instead of the 1/8" output.

If you have doubts, give it a try. If you have more questions, PM me. I wholly suggest this as being far far better than the iPod. They also come in 40gb flavors.

Check the forum, loads of good suggestions.
http://www.misticriver.net/

I used to have Hi-MD. Before that I had Net-MD. Before that I had Sony Discman. It will take an act of a higher power to get me back to Sony. I've seen too many iPods die an early death to trust the marketing hype. Yeah, iPod is good, but there is better out there.
YMMV :)

Back
Top Bottom