1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Mullard 6080?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by dread31, Jun 7, 2012.

1. dread31

dread31 Addicted Member

A few nights ago, I scored a Mullard 6080 for my upcoming Bottlehead Crack kit project. (The kit hasn't even arrived yet, and I'm buying tubes to roll.....) All I know about it is it looks very clean in the picture and the seller claims it tested "good".

I've heard a lot about Mullard preamp tubes and I have a set of repro Mullard 6BQ5s in my Roberts monoblocks, that I really like.

Has anyone here heard the 6080?

Dave

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kvflyer

kvflyer AK Subscriber Subscriber

3. dread31

dread31 Addicted Member

Thanks, kvflyer.

Anyone have actual experience with this tube?
    I know it's subjective, but just wanted your thoughts on this jewel.

Dave

4. Stephen J

Stephen J Suum Cuique

5. dread31

dread31 Addicted Member

This beast finally arrived, plugged it right into my amp and let it get good and warm, listend to some Pink Floyd, Holst-The Planets, a little jazz.....

I have a GE 6AS7G, an RCA 6080, and a Cetron (Tung Sol) 7236.....

The Mullard beats them all. It just has a lot more "body" to it. The other tubes have their strengths, but this one has a more of them.

Think I'll keep it. I went seaching for more and found people selling them for twice to four times what I paid. I'll have to keep looking, I guess.

Dave