Multi-Speaker outputs a thing of the past?

chathamdad

Piano Trios Rule
This question probably borders on the quaint at this point, but I have been wondering why no Mcintosh integrated in recent years has had more than one set of speakers outputs? My Mac4300 and MA6200 each have three sets, and I think the 6500 (back in 1999) was the last one to have more than one set. I have my house hard-wired (yes, I know, another quaint notion) for the 4300's three sets, one in my listening room and the two others downstairs just for whole-house enjoyment. I have heard the arguments about speaker relays having an impact on sound quality, but when brands like Luxman, Marantz and Accuphase still do it I have to believe that the tech question has been satisfactorily addressed. Plus, I have never experienced any such issues. Anybody have insights on this? Is it just an audiophile affectation ("Music should be listened to in your listening room....!")? If so, why is McIntosh going into the wireless speaker business?

Not just an academic question. If the new MA5300 had a second set of outputs I would grab one in a heartbeat and platoon the 4300 into some lighter use, given its age. But alas, not to be. Input appreciated.

Good timing on this thread. This is one of the reasons I haven’t made the investment in upgrading my amp. I’m intrigued by the idea of the MA 252, and this is the only feature that I find lacking.

I currently have two sets of speakers hardwired, one in the living room/listening room and one in the kitchen. But being realistic about how I listen with a young family, I am starting to think about abandoning the wired speakers in the kitchen and replacing them with a streaming-wireless option.

Now that I think about it, maybe the MA 5200 would be a better fit for me. Can’t help but be seduced by the tube preamp option of the MA 252...

The first multi room installation I did started in my 3rd month with our local Mac dealer in 1978.....so I have been quite familiar with the evolving expectations of local clients and their audio systems.

McIntosh did offer a practical evolving product to address the OPs needs in 2000, upscaled it a bit later and the response was " basically crickets"

8 assignable channels of amplification, built in tuner, two zones or sources available individually remote controlled, decent digital processor but a failure in the marketplace, so it is not surprising they do not release a 3rd version.

By 2000 there were so many multioom options available from so many sources that a whole major audio industry was built into and in many ways took over the audio business.

We are now way past the days of 1983 when we would buy from B&O parts infrared modules used in the Beocenter 8000s and daisy chain then together to offer clients multi room remote control options.

A thing of the past? Not in my house --- I'm running 3 sets plus a powered subwoofer. But one pair is wired to my Mc power amp, the other 2 pair powered by the 4300V, since using the pre-amp out jacks doesn't cut off the 4300's amp.
So, guess I could add a 4th pair with the left over speaker 3 outputs ... Have thus far avoided that temptation.

I think Botrytis was at the same Mac event in the land of maize and blue that I was......the eastern Mac regional made the statement that most Mac OWNERS were approaching 70 years.....which would make since when you check out the numbers of units built in the late 60s and 70s......Mac has a long way to catch up to building 3000 or so MC2105s or MC2205s a year let alone the MAC1700,1900 or 4100.

There was a whole lot of ground lost in the lost decades of home theater obsolescence and custom home installation.

Mac dealers, audio dealers in general, have a whole lot of hard work ahead of them and quite frankly I doubt if many of them are up to it.

Time for a fund-me-now project making speaker switchers. You'll become the next Mark Zuckerberg.

There are any number of switchers available......But this post did remind me that I do have a MHT100 theater receiver with a repaired power supply sitting here for months just waiting to be put into a setup. With 8 amp channels to choose from I could do some biamping and everything.......

Well, unless something radically changed, it would be a massive departure from the results based on a mid-1990s survey. One of the findings had been 40% of new McIntosh sales volume were to age group 41 & under.

Mid 90s was a long, long, time ago in marketing years.....those 40 somethings are now 60 somethings.

I did have a private 10-15 minute conversation with said head of Mac's national sales....the east regional must have been parroting the company line in the small room demo......

It has changed - people don't have the money they used to have. I mean, who can afford their amps new? I surely can't. Yes - mid - 1995 + 20 yrs is 60 (that was in 2015 - that data was from 20 yrs ago) and that is why they said their buyers are older - NO NEW BUYERS THAT ARE YOUNG. Think about it that way.

Why would anyone assume that new McIntosh purchases are limited to the exact same group of individuals who purchased new in 1995? Did everyone younger than them suddenly die?

Even if we assume the demographics shifted and now the age group of 51 & younger (instead of 41 & younger in 1995) accounts for 40% of McIntosh sales, the remaining 60% would have to average 82.66 years of age in order for the total average to be 70 years of age. Think about that.

*BTW & FWIW - An AK member here who is 26, is already on his 4th or 5th new McIntosh purchase.

Last edited:
Well I can only comment on what was expected from me in our 800,000 people strong midwest marketing area.....when a Mac receiver was $1500-2000 (today's money 4500-5900?) and a typical amp and preamp was $3000-4000 (8900-11,900). They were expensive then and still are today. Gordon and I would regularly compare a basic Mac system to the coat of a car.....basic Mac system to a midsize Chevelle or such and a amp preamp type system to a full size like a Ford LTD or such. Since they built speakers we would include the typical speaker system with the electronics.

As the OP questioned, trying to do multi room is a more complicated system today than just hooking up 3 pairs of speakers. Customers expected more control so the systems became more specialized, complicated and therefore more expensive.

These posts are getting way outside the OPs question/observation......open a new thread and we can get down into the weeds of marketing if some wish too.

Last edited:
Multi speaker output is the biggest reason my MA6500 is staying in my collection. It could be upgraded to so many newer integrateds but this feature makes it so much more versatile. Despite the bulbs burning out every odd two years or so.....

Adding a Mc7104 or MC7108 would add 2 or 4 pair of extra room speakers.

If your preamp section has a Rec and Listen buss you can listen to 2 sources at once.

Add a CR7, get the 2nd source and with a IR sensor remote control.

BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT MCINTOSH SAID - they said this is the age of their buyers - NEW. Why are you getting your panties in a bunch? One person will not change the average. Until more younger people buy, the average will be old people.
Probably won't even have much impact on the median nor the mode, either.

BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT MCINTOSH SAID - they said this is the age of their buyers - NEW. Why are you getting your panties in a bunch? One person will not change the average. Until more younger people buy, the average will be old people.

In lieu of reliable evidence to the contrary, I remain unconvinced based on the analysis I have provided.

This is my final stance on the matter.

Last edited:
Well, I mean audio equipment doesn't sell as much any more and everything has gone up in price. Most people by one set of speakers they like, now, and that is it.

They are going wireless to try to appeal to the Millennials. After all, the age of an average Mac buyer is now 70 yrs old and getting older. If they want to survive, they have to appeal to a younger audience. I admire them for realizing this and trying to change with the times. This is a new product coming out and it is really nice...

mcintosh-mha50_2.png
Average customer age 70 years old? That is nonsense.
Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom