100.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5478.jpg
    IMG_5478.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5479.jpg
    IMG_5479.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 121
Thanks for posting those. Something to add to my Christmas list. :D

Just took a look @ the RE/Search website. Volume I (RE/Search #14) is down to a handful of copies, no reprinting planned. Volume II (RE/Search #15) is -- incredibly -- SOLD OUT. Guess it will have to be ebay, alibris, et al, for a copy of #15. I shoulda grabbed a copy back in '95.

The RE/Search links:

all pubs: http://www.researchpubs.com/list-of-publications/
vol i: http://www.researchpubs.com/shop/last-copies-research-14-incredibly-strange-music-vol-i-2/
vol ii: http://www.researchpubs.com/shop/so...esearch-15-incredibly-strange-music-vol-ii-2/

This great thread made me go digging in my bookshelves. (Yeah, I know 'Half Blood Blues' is pushing it but it is all music and Edugyan is a Victoria local).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 32
I picked up the Grout book at a GW a few years ago, along with a jazz book, The Jazz Book by Berendt. Any thoughts on it? I still haven't had the time to read either of them. Having a kid will do that.:D

Speaking of which, I can recommend a couple of "easier" reads. Books with short chapters, lots of pictures, etc.
I was given the book that went along with the American Roots Music series when it was on PBS. I finally got around to reading it, and I really enjoyed it. I know my blues, but when I got the book I didn't have much appreciation for most of the other genres that are "roots". It connected a lot of dots, for me.
I still haven't seen the series, so I'm curious if the DVDs are worth a purchase.

The Bob Marley book Songs Of Freedom was another one in the easy read category.

I was given a used copy of The Illustrated Story Of Jazz. I haven't read it yet, but thumbing through it makes me think I could potentially put it in the category as the two above.

I can also recommend the book about the making of A Love Supreme, the Muddy Waters bio Can't Be Satisfied, the Howlin' Wolf one that came out at about the same time(forget the title), and Chasin' The Trane.

I'm no classical expert, but I picked up the book that goes along with the Beethoven Bicentennial LP collection, and I like it a lot.

Speaking of GNR, did Izzy ever put out a book?

Not that I know of.

Ernest Newman
Stories of the Great Operas and Their Composers
Garden

71JhzpaBLlL._SL1054_.jpg

Rather large image there.

Thats ok. So have you read this one Mystic? Funny enough I know nothing about Opera yet my Mother used to fill the house with it. I have strong memories of her listening on the couch, with tears streaming down her cheeks.

Found three at the GW today. :)

Grover Sales / Jazz - America's Classical Music
Benny Green / The Reluctant Art - Five Studies in the Growth of Jazz
Leonard Feather / From Satchmo to Miles

This a great thread! Got a few to add to the list.

First, I've just finished Apocalypse Jukebox, which looks at the end of the world through popular American music. Spans from Coltrane to Devo to Green Day. Lots of great stuff involved.

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Jukebox-World-American-Popular/dp/1593762216

I'd also recommend anything by UK journalist and author Simon Reynolds. His book on Post Punk, Rip it Up and Start Again was superb.

His Amazon page

And for fun, there's a comic series called Phonogram that's a damn good read. It's about people who dissect music and use it's energy for magic. Except it's not. Volume 1, Rue Britannia, is an examination of the Brit Pop Revival, what it meant, what it didn't mean. Lots of Talk about the like of early Manic Street Preachers and Kenickie.

The second volume is about a night in a small pub somewhere in England. The rules are: 1) Everyone must dance. 2) Only acts with female singers and 3) NO MAGIC. This volume treats Blondie's Atomic with the respect and reverence it deserves.

Volume 1

Volume 2

It's also on an app called Comixology on sale for today and tomorrow (what reminded me of it).

I'm sure more will come to me at some point

This a great thread! Got a few to add to the list.

First, I've just finished Apocalypse Jukebox, which looks at the end of the world through popular American music. Spans from Coltrane to Devo to Green Day. Lots of great stuff involved.

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Jukebox-World-American-Popular/dp/1593762216

I'd also recommend anything by UK journalist and author Simon Reynolds. His book on Post Punk, Rip it Up and Start Again was superb.

His Amazon page

And for fun, there's a comic series called Phonogram that's a damn good read. It's about people who dissect music and use it's energy for magic. Except it's not. Volume 1, Rue Britannia, is an examination of the Brit Pop Revival, what it meant, what it didn't mean. Lots of Talk about the like of early Manic Street Preachers and Kenickie.

The second volume is about a night in a small pub somewhere in England. The rules are: 1) Everyone must dance. 2) Only acts with female singers and 3) NO MAGIC. This volume treats Blondie's Atomic with the respect and reverence it deserves.

Volume 1

Volume 2

It's also on an app called Comixology on sale for today and tomorrow (what reminded me of it).

I'm sure more will come to me at some point

Hey Alladin, thanks for the contribution. By way of supermod opt80, the mods have made this thread a sticky! I am really excited and plan on synthesizing all of the essential reading into the original post for easy viewing. I'm really excited because I think that having a comprehensive reading list will help to make our little corner a bit more unique.

I am rushed at the moment, but plan on looking through your links asap.

Funny enough I know nothing about Opera yet my Mother used to fill the house with it.

The best way to get into opera is to go to a live show. Make sure you have an open mind and remember that it is about spectacle and voices, not necessarily plot. Picking a "sexy" opera is also a plus.

Mind you, I am an amateur when it comes to opera. I just like to get out of the house/rut and see a live show.

I just re-read the Velvet Underground portions of Andy Warhol's "Popism." The best part is Andy's discussion of the VU visit to the West Coast. He notes that West Coast artists wanted to love their audiences, but that the VU wanted to "antagonize."

attachment.php

Attachments

• Popism.jpg
    Popism.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 132
Awesome selection Poppachubby! Just in time for Christmas. Africa and the Blues and then the History of the Piano books are top of my list I think.

Can you recommend any other African music books? I'm a big fan. Franco, Nico, Fela, Salif Keita, Diblo Dibala, etc.

I want a good Fela book myself. Gonna put out the call in the Fela thread...

The best way to get into opera is to go to a live show. Make sure you have an open mind and remember that it is about spectacle and voices, not necessarily plot. Picking a "sexy" opera is also a plus.

Mind you, I am an amateur when it comes to opera. I just like to get out of the house/rut and see a live show.

I just re-read the Velvet Underground portions of Andy Warhol's "Popism." The best part is Andy's discussion of the VU visit to the West Coast. He notes that West Coast artists wanted to love their audiences, but that the VU wanted to "antagonize."

attachment.php

Thanks for the sage advice Ken. I think I have an Andy Warhol book kickin around which I never got around to.

A sticky now? Nice.

I'm going to go a bit left field, and mention a kid's book.
I read(again) John Lithgow's The Remarkable Farkle McBride to my kid yesterday. A solid choice if you are a parent, grandparent, or looking for a gift for a kid.

A sticky now? Nice.

I'm going to go a bit left field, and mention a kid's book.
I read(again) John Lithgow's The Remarkable Farkle McBride to my kid yesterday. A solid choice if you are a parent, grandparent, or looking for a gift for a kid.

I am going to summarize and tabulate the more relevant posts as it grows, and then link them in the original post.

The acdalek Book List 1

acdalek suggests...

Tighten up! The History of British Reggae
But Beautiful
Whitney Balliett - Collected Works: A Journal of Jazz 1954-2001
Space is the Place: The Lives and Times of Sun Ra
Straight Life
Fats Waller (by Maurice Waller)
This Is Your Brain On Music
John Peel: Margrave Of The Marshes
Miles Davis (by Ian Carr)
What To Listen For In Music