Musical Fidelity XA-2 Integrated Amp to subwoofer

Meaudio1

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
i have one of these and and would like to know if I can use the preamp out to go to a powered sub while the amp otherwise functions as normal. Unfortunately there is no main in so no way I can see to split the pre and power or is there? It does have a tape in and out but I would like to use my Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer in that loop. So powering the sub is the question. Is anybody familiar with this particular unconventional looking but very nice sounding amp?

Last edited:
Here is the back of the amp. I have never seen a preamp out without a main in before. The owner's manual does not make this function clear.
image.jpeg

Well this question is partially, perhaps fully answered. I put the MF amp away in the closet while doing some painting 2weeks ago. However, I took out my Cambridge Audio A5(used with voltage converter), connected the sub from the preamp out jacks and.. it works great! I always thought that if you went preamp out that you had to come back through main in. At least this is not the case with this particular amp. btw volume of the sub commensurate with main volume of satellites so at least for now, couldn't be happier. Specifically the CA amp is driving two NHT Superzero speakers and the sub is a Cambridge Soundworks Basecube 8. Bass us surprisingly tight and compliments the Superzero's perfectly. I might add that the Cambridge Audio A-5 is a very good match for the NHT's.

Last edited:
I have an Exposure integrated. It does have a pre out option. It also has an AV in that bypasses the preamp stage. I can run a preamp out line to a powered sub and it works great. What this set up does not allow us to do is add an external crossover to split the signal to the sub and the main amp. I don't miss that ability a bit in my set up.

Back
Top Bottom