Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

So far those 7581a's are my preferred. Gonna try another 6L6, and prob KT77/88

EL83?
7581a . Interesting. Here I was convinced that the Gold Lion KT66,77, or 88 were the ones to consider as my first roll, when ito of nowhere cover this contender. What makes them your preferred tube?

Well I've got my MP and I pretty much immediately put in NOS RCA 6SJ7. I'm still running the stock power tubes while awaiting some Tung Sol 7581A I ordered (thanks Kray). I've only got about 12 hours play time so far, but I've gotta say that I'm not blown away. It's just seems to be missing a certain "sparkle". Just not very crisp on the high end. One reference track I know well and use is Joe Sample's Rainbow Seeker. There's a lot of cymbal and a high pitched triangle "instrument". Just no crispness, not much separation and not great soundstage. Things just sound sorta compressed and it's like there's a towel over my speakers. The bass is not as tight as I have gotten used to with the Gemtune and it sounds a tad muffled and imprecise. My only tube amp reference is the Gemtune X-1 I'm having to send back due to a 60hz hum I can't live with. Even with it's stock tubes (Psvane power tubes, which we're unexpectedly nice) after about 20 hours of play it was most impressive. I'm crossing my fingers for improvement with time and the new power tubes. It is very quiet though thankfully. ..no hum. Output volume is plenty for my bedroom.
BTW, my rig is Martin Logan LX16'S run 2.1 with a REL Subwoofer, streaming Tidal through a Parasound DAC. Can anyone offer encouragement?

I’d prob wait until 1) you have the 7581’s in, and 2) have about 40hrs of play on the MP with 7581’s

The chinese tubes it came with are crappy as far as my experience.

My setup has no issue with top end and tight bass, but YMMV!

Hope it gels with your system!

I’d prob wait until 1) you have the 7581’s in, and 2) have about 40hrs of play on the MP with 7581’s

The chinese tubes it came with are crappy as far as my experience.

My setup has no issue with top end and tight bass, but YMMV!

Hope it gels with your system!

Hey all,
I just inserted the 7581As and fired up some Steely Dan. I know it's hard to A/B audio, especially when an entire day has passed between listening this morning to the stock Chinese tubes and right now listening to the 7581As. But, I can tell you that after only 10 minutes, the difference is huge. It's like the towel has been lifted off my speakers! Much cleaner highs, unmuddied bass, and a much more open and airy sound stage. I only have the stocks to compare these to, but I'm really, really happy with the difference! Now to play them for 30 or 40 hours!

Last edited:
Hey all,
I just inserted the 7581As and fired up some Steely Dan. I know it's hard to A/B audio, especially when an entire day has passed between listening this morning to the stock Chinese tubes and right now listening to the 7581As. But, I can tell you that after only 10 minutes, the difference is huge. It's like the towel has been lifted off my speakers! Much cleaner highs, unmuddied bass, and a much more open and airy sound stage. I only have the stocks to compare these to, but I'm really, really happy with the difference! Now to play them for 30 or 40 hours!

Awesome to hear! Tube rolling is fun :D

Just got my MP301 back from being upgraded/modded.

If I could have done it myself (basic soldering) it would only cost $60 in parts, but I paid for labor so $200, but definitely worth every penny in my opinion. Heck just clipping off the little C6 and C6A bypass caps is well worth it, it removed the super strong gain the volume has, if you notice it get's really loud at 9am position, once you start going higher it's over gain... removing those caps smooths out the volume pot and removes the over gain, so the volume level is more spread out over the entire pot.

Breaking in the Mundorf Supremes, but even after 10 min of listening I can easily tell the difference for the better. I'll update later with 40 or so hours on it.

Last edited:
So, I'm up to over 44 hours of play time and thoroughly enjoying my amp with the 7581A tubes. I've been reading up on tubes, since I'm a tube newbie. Many folks say that the pre-amp tubes have a big effect on the overall sound. Since I have not read much about different pre-amp tubes and their overall "sound", I'm hoping for some input here. I'm currently running NOS RCA 6SJ7 pre-amp tubes. The MP website says you can use 6SJ7, 5693, 717A, 713A, 6SH7, 6SD7, 6J8P, 6*8. Anyone care to comment on any of these that they've tried?

I think different pre-amp tubes pair great with specific tubes. for instance my 7581's go great with the 5693 "reds"

I still need to try out my RCA 6SJ7's with 7581s

Also have Winged C EL34's coming, and NOS Tung-Sol 717a's. I'll let you know how that goes. Also heard that the Ken-Rad 6SH7's pair great with EL34's

I think different pre-amp tubes pair great with specific tubes. for instance my 7581's go great with the 5693 "reds"

I still need to try out my RCA 6SJ7's with 7581s

Also have Winged C EL34's coming, and NOS Tung-Sol 717a's. I'll let you know how that goes. Also heard that the Ken-Rad 6SH7's pair great with EL34's
Cool, Kray. I think I'll dip into the EL34 groove next by trying some GL KT77s. I'm just fishing around for a good price.

I've landed with Shuguang EL34's at this point. The setup sounds great, the 7581a's ultimately were too lean n the upper bass/low mids. I guess I prefer the tube warmth of the EL34 over 6L6 varieties, When I get bored I may try something other than the RCA 6sj7, but they sound great.

My Mk 3 showed up and with about 8 hours of listening time it is, quite honestly, amazing. Currently running EH KT-88’s and a pair of metal can RCA 6SJ7’s. If I could find one “issue”, “dislike” so far, and it could very well be my ears but it lacks the low end my 1060 has. Speakers are a pair of recapped ESM-2’s. Volume is more then I would ever need donuts not a sensitivity issue. I may be mistaken on that. I tried using the 1060 as a preamp. Although bass was much improved the sound was significantly more muddy. The 1060 is going on the bench for a full rebuild as it is 100% original and that could be the issue. Any suggestions as to a possible tube roll to pump up the bottom end? Currently using my IPhone 8 for MP3 playback (I know, cringe).
Thanks!

I've landed with Shuguang EL34's at this point. The setup sounds great, the 7581a's ultimately were too lean n the upper bass/low mids. I guess I prefer the tube warmth of the EL34 over 6L6 varieties, When I get bored I may try something other than the RCA 6sj7, but they sound great.

Yep. I've come to same conclusion. I just got my Winged C EL34's and even though the 7581a's are clean and neutral and detailed, the EL34 just has that sweet lush magic... My EL34's are doing great with the Tung-Sol WE 717a preamp tubes, even though they are a tad bit buzzy/microphonic (can only hear with head to speaker)

My Mk 3 showed up and with about 8 hours of listening time it is, quite honestly, amazing. Currently running EH KT-88’s and a pair of metal can RCA 6SJ7’s. If I could find one “issue”, “dislike” so far, and it could very well be my ears but it lacks the low end my 1060 has. Speakers are a pair of recapped ESM-2’s. Volume is more then I would ever need donuts not a sensitivity issue. I may be mistaken on that. I tried using the 1060 as a preamp. Although bass was much improved the sound was significantly more muddy. The 1060 is going on the bench for a full rebuild as it is 100% original and that could be the issue. Any suggestions as to a possible tube roll to pump up the bottom end? Currently using my IPhone 8 for MP3 playback (I know, cringe).
Thanks!

Not sure, as i haven't hear the EH KT88... as stated above i know i'm getting more mid to lower lushness with my new EL34's.

Not sure, as i haven't hear the EH KT88... as stated above i know i'm getting more mid to lower lushness with my new EL34's.

I'm thinking I'm going to try either Tung Sol EL34B or GL KT 77 next. I like the idea of lush mids as long as the low end stays tight but I also like clear, crisp highs, so I'm leaning more towards KT77 from what I've read.

Yep. I've come to same conclusion. I just got my Winged C EL34's and even though the 7581a's are clean and neutral and detailed, the EL34 just has that sweet lush magic... My EL34's are doing great with the Tung-Sol WE 717a preamp tubes, even though they are a tad bit buzzy/microphonic (can only hear with head to speaker)
Those winged C's are well liked tubes for sure. I did notice some break in with mine, I didn't really expect that. Basically the bottom end improved which was my original complaint. I imagine those Zu's are sounding great, I hope to hear some someday. The new Druid has me drooling but way out of my price zone.

Hey all,
I am really enjoying my MP-301. I installed RCA 6SJ7 preamps and I've been trying Tung Sol 7581A's. I have some Gold Lion KT77's on order. I do have one question. It seems to me, if it's not my imagination, that recently I have to turn the volume up more for the same sound level. I always leave the amp's volume knob at 12:00 and adjust the sound level with my phone. I stream Tidal through a Google Chromecast Audio into a Parasound DAC via Toslink and control actual sound level with the Google Home app on my phone. Seems like until recently I got plenty of volume with the volume slider on Google Home app set to between 10 and 25%. Now it seems like I have to put the volume slider to at least 50% to obtain the same sound level. Could there be an issue with the amp or with a tube? Of course the 7581A's (which have about 55 hours on them now) are glowing. Can't tell with the RCA black cans (which have around 90 hours on them).

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom