Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

The 6*8 (6Ж8) tubes are Russian equivalent of 6SJ7. They are really cheap. They sound magnificently with actual Gold Lion KT66 on the MP301.
I highly recommend this tube to replace the chinese 6J8P. The improvement is huge!

My amp only has 170 hours total playing time on it but lately I've been experiencing random, intermittent left channel dropouts. I've tried switching the 6SJ7 preamps from the Right side to the Left with no improvement and I've done the same with the matched set of Gold Lion KT77's (only have around 70 hours on them). No help. If I power down the amp for a few seconds (usually but sometimes more like a minute), and turn it back on, the Left channel is restored. However, it will drop out again before too long and I have to repeat the process. I am a complete newbie to Tube Amps so I have no idea what's up. While I wait for Garry's email reply, can anyone here shed some light?

I think it may be a be a left side tube not fully setting in the socket right, try wiggling the tube flush again.

I think it may be a be a left side tube not fully setting in the socket right, try wiggling the tube flush again.

Thanks for the suggestion, but both tubes are fully seated. I even tried switching back to the Tung Sol 7581A's, but the left channel dropped out after only 15 minutes playing this morning.

Thanks for the suggestion, but both tubes are fully seated. I even tried switching back to the Tung Sol 7581A's, but the left channel dropped out after only 15 minutes playing this morning.

Sorry to hear that... Gary is a good guy, it has a warranty so I'm sure he'll fix it for you.

Hey everyone. Been lurking for some time.

Just ordered a mp-301 as my first tube amp. Opted to go for the Shuguang KT88 on the power as they seemed to come up as a good starting point. I accidentally left the option for the KENRAD 6SH7 preamp tubes selected. Didn't even realize it till I got the confirm email. We'll see how that works out.

I'll be coming from an Objective DAC and Objective2 headphone amp. Going to use the ODAC to feed the amp. I'll be swapping between my cans, well worn DT990's and some bookshelf ELAC UB5's (3-way 4ohm with 85db @ 2.83v/m). The next step will be to move up to a pair of tesla's from Beyer and some nicer loudspeakers, but that is only when I can do it in a financially responsibly way. :)

Decided to go with the 301 as a good "toe in the water" to tubes instead of going with one of those guys seen on Amazon. From this thread I'm thinking that I'll be very pleased.

Mike, I moved up to my 301 after first trying one of the Amazon tubies first. Actually, the first one was sent back because of a 60hz hum that was intolerable, only to be replaced by one with the same problem. So, I moved up to the 301 and it has been dead quiet. Unfortunately, after about 170 hours the left channel began dropping out intermittently, so I sent it back to Garry in CanadaCfor a warrantied repair. Garry has provided fantastic customer service. If my Amazon amp had gone bad after 170 hours, I'd probably have had to send it back to China for repair or have to try and find someone locally and pay for the fix. I think you'll live your amp.

nspeer, I think I read your review on one of the amps that I was looking at. In the end I just was really worried with the build quality that I would be getting for something in the sub-$1000 range. I also wanted to be able to have the option of listening through my DT990's. I'm more apt to make a step up on my headphones and wanted to be able to still have the proposed benefits of the tube sound with a good purchase there. I also don't need/want a lot of power, just something to drive the 5 1/4 woofers around my desk. I'm a software engineer and sit at a computer for 8+ hours a day. I listen to WGBH All Classical out of Boston via a stream along with my FLAC rips of CDs. I need something that I can count on to get me through the day for a good amount of time without being a service or money sink.

I feel my ears can pick up enough of a difference that investing in some quality equipment is worthwhile. I really enjoy the local hifi shop we have in town. They're big fans of Beyerdynamic and have let me sit in the listening area for a few hours on end trying different models (even letting me haul in some of my equipment so I can test it out). They are a McIntosh dealer so they push that line real hard whenever the topic of amps has come up. I just could never afford that. I think this guy will be able to get me a nice step in sound while keeping my wife from beating me with a stick.

EDIT: Garry got back to me. Very excited!!!

Last edited:
For those of you using KT-77s... What have you found to be your preference for preamp tubes? I’m currently using the red can 5693s, and I’m giving everything time to break in before I make any changes, but I wanted to get some thoughts from others who have been running that setup.

For those of you using KT-77s... What have you found to be your preference for preamp tubes? I’m currently using the red can 5693s, and I’m giving everything time to break in before I make any changes, but I wanted to get some thoughts from others who have been running that setup.

My fav with KT77 are:
NOS Tung-Sol/Western Electric 717a’s
ken-Rad 6SH7

Another option. Is using an EF86 adapter with EF86 tubes. I bought some Amperex “bugle boys” and they are fantastic with EL34. My fav combo so far.

Just opened the box and man is this thing a beaut! I'm impressed by it's overall build quality. Now begins break-in!

I suspect many will come here looking at the MP-301 as their first tube amp. It might not be exactly apparent after reading the manual but make sure you put your power and pre-amp tubes in the correct locations! I made the mistake of swapping them. Oops! Got that sorted after wondering if I had a bad amp! LOL!

So far so good!

Attachments

• IMG_20180805_150144.jpg
    IMG_20180805_150144.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20180805_150108.jpg
    IMG_20180805_150108.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20180805_145952.jpg
    IMG_20180805_145952.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 43
My fav with KT77 are:
NOS Tung-Sol/Western Electric 717a’s
ken-Rad 6SH7

Another option. Is using an EF86 adapter with EF86 tubes. I bought some Amperex “bugle boys” and they are fantastic with EL34. My fav combo so far.
Hi kray, do you prefer the 717a to the black cans because there is less noise, or some other factor?

Hi kray, do you prefer the 717a to the black cans because there is less noise, or some other factor?

It’s hard to explain. It’s not night and day but I always seem to go back to the 717a’s vs the other tubes (outside of EF86 Ameprex)

It’s hard to explain. It’s not night and day but I always seem to go back to the 717a’s vs the other tubes (outside of EF86 Ameprex)
I was looking at some Telefunken EF86 the other day. I 'll have to get some adaptors.

What adapters are you using for those? And is it the mesh plate Bugle Boys that you’re talking about?

Man I'm such a newb. I have some low impedance DT-990 headphones and 4ohm bookshelf speakers. When listening to either I have to keep the volume turned down and Foobar at -10db. Is this because of the low impedance? Is there anything I can do like an impedance adapter on the headphones? If the things I'm reading are correct I'm not getting good use of the amp if the volume is about 1/4 through the band.

Back
Top Bottom