Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

How do you like this amp with the Zu DW's?

Great combo. Zu's don't need lots of watts and the MP at 6.5watt was great. i preferred tubes that gave good lower end. the EL34 Winged C NOS was my fav. Never got to try KT88's, but the EF86 driver tubes were my fav too, Amperex Bugle Boys

Anyone ever try 6v6 tubes with? 7591 ?

Is the MP-301 mk3 suitable to drive Klipsch Forte IIs?

thanks for your input!

Great combo. Zu's don't need lots of watts and the MP at 6.5watt was great. i preferred tubes that gave good lower end. the EL34 Winged C NOS was my fav. Never got to try KT88's, but the EF86 driver tubes were my fav too, Amperex Bugle Boys

Yeah, I am getting ready to go with the MP-301. Been talking to Garry and going to pull the trigger today. Moving my STA-200 to my office set up. 80 watts per channel is overkill. It sounds good but I miss my Decware tube amp so want to get back into tube amplification again. I bet the DW's sound amazing wit 6.5 watts of tube amplification. What has really prompted me to go this route as well, is due to I just got the ZU Definition center, which is 101db efficient and even turning down my my gain settings to a -12 in my 50 watt per channel AVR, it's still too much power. So I am putting a Decware SE84UFO bridged at 6 watts on that channel and want to match the DW's with the 6.5 watts from the MP-301.

With all that said, I did have a couple of questions before I ordered the 301. What tubes do I get?!?!?! I love mid bass slam and fast, tight and punchy bass, I also like some shimmer and sizzle on top. But not overly bright. Real low end bass isn't a concern because I am running dual subs. So the tubes they offer are these.
upload_2019-3-26_11-59-21.png

Also, what is a good match as far as voltage goes for a pre-amp? I was looking at a preamp from Audio By Van Alstine and Frank said he could turn down gain fro 10 to a 5. Would that be a good option?

Would love to know how the MP would stack up against this new Nobsound 6p1 which is on Amazon for $260. Both are single ended and about the same power. Love the fact that the Nobsound is hand wired and sporting those nice gauges. I have had good experiences with the 6p1 tube in other amps. Nice thing about Amazon is you can return the amp on their dime if not satisfied.

2018-Latest-Nobsound-6P1-Vacuum-Valve-Tube-Stereo-Amplifier-Single-Ended-Class-A-Power-Amp-6.jpg

Yeah, I am getting ready to go with the MP-301. Been talking to Garry and going to pull the trigger today. Moving my STA-200 to my office set up. 80 watts per channel is overkill. It sounds good but I miss my Decware tube amp so want to get back into tube amplification again. I bet the DW's sound amazing wit 6.5 watts of tube amplification. What has really prompted me to go this route as well, is due to I just got the ZU Definition center, which is 101db efficient and even turning down my my gain settings to a -12 in my 50 watt per channel AVR, it's still too much power. So I am putting a Decware SE84UFO bridged at 6 watts on that channel and want to match the DW's with the 6.5 watts from the MP-301.

With all that said, I did have a couple of questions before I ordered the 301. What tubes do I get?!?!?! I love mid bass slam and fast, tight and punchy bass, I also like some shimmer and sizzle on top. But not overly bright. Real low end bass isn't a concern because I am running dual subs. So the tubes they offer are these.
View attachment 1460829

Also, what is a good match as far as voltage goes for a pre-amp? I was looking at a preamp from Audio By Van Alstine and Frank said he could turn down gain fro 10 to a 5. Would that be a good option?
You definitely won't want the stock preamp tube, it's far too bright. I'd go with the KENRAD for $25. You could always roll in those RCA black cans for $25 off the web, they are plentiful. The EL34 has a nice midrange, the 6L6 is more linear sounding with a bit more bass and sparkle. The mid is not as prominent. This amp responds very well to tube rolling. I'm mostly using Tung sol 7581a which is a 6L6 variant.

I plan to pull the trigger on an Mp301 this week. I actually plan to purchase it without tubes and roll my own nos 6L6s in it. As for 6sj7, 6sh7 etc I may get some NOS from a local guy or order some from an online retailer.

I'm pretty excited for my first foray into tube hifi!

View attachment 1460829

Hey had this amp for about 2 months. So other than loving it (first tube amp) After reading heaps I went with the upgrade GE 6SJ7 and the Shugung KT88 and am happy with this starting level.
So after reading some more and conversing with other owners have ordered the Tung Sol 7581A with the RCS 6SJ7WGT next for comparison..
Also if anyone interested there is a facebook group I joined to learn from other owners..(if not allowed to mention this mods please edit)

5iPNYi4.jpg

The EL34s are unlabled shuguang OEM. I bought a quad for $34. probably the best 34 bucks i have ever spent
the Western Electric 717A dated november 1942 True NOS. I broke the seal myself. This is my favotite config so far. heavy on tube euphonics. sound is silky smooth.

5iPNYi4.jpg

The EL34s are unlabled shuguang OEM. I bought a quad for $34. probably the best 34 bucks i have ever spent
the Western Electric 717A dated november 1942 True NOS. I broke the seal myself. This is my favotite config so far. heavy on tube euphonics. sound is silky smooth.
I'm using the 717a myself, I think, though not much different, that I prefer them over the RCA cans.

View attachment 1460829

HiFi Jeff, I recommend the Gold Lion KT77. Really nice bass and not overly bright. I run a REL Strata III sub.

I am currently running KEF Q100 speakers and a REL Strata III subwoofer in a smallish listening room (about 14'x11') and I'm thinking of trying some different speakers. I'm after a wide, realistic, holographic soundstage. I've read about these qualities with the GoldenEar Aon 2 speakers and they can certainly be driven well by the MP-301. I'm also considering the much revered KEF LS50, but I'm concerned that they will require much more power output to really shine. Can anyone comment on this?

Hooked the Mp 301 up to some ADS L400 speakers and played some Kind of Blue, In a Silent Way, The Band, John Martyn Solid Air and it sounds fantastic. Lows were good for small speakers with a single 7" woofer.

I honestly don't feel my ears are in tune enough to make out major sonic detail but I'd say the highs are nice and clear but smooth and the mids are present but a little bit scooped.

We'll see if rolling Sylvania 6L6s or some 6550s will change the sonic details of the amp. This is fun! One thing i have noticed is that the power tubes do get really hot. Just something to pay attention to I guess.

Back
Top Bottom