Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

Tested the 807-to-6L6 adapter and RCA 807 tubes with the MP-301 MK3. Works perfectly.

gary, i have tried this, and all i can say is, WOW!!!..i used the NOS RCA 807's, i think it just took the MP301 to another level..can't stop listening, all my vinyl records sounded "LIVE"..as if you are there..Highly recomended the NOS RCA 807's, black plates...:thmbsp::thmbsp:

Last edited:
Just opened this thread again tonight. What a great review with so many pictures and details. I appreciate it. I hope our moderator won't delete this thread. I think he deletes older threads in this section frequently. Instead of deletion, Please move this thread to a proper section.

For Rock music, using Shuguang EL34B on the MP-301 MK3 would sound a lot better, especially the bass and dynamic.

Do you know when you'll get more in stock?

I e-mailed and called your site but, haven't heard back from you.

I am going to have to try some 807's just ordered some gold lion kt66's, I dont even have them yet though so I will wait haha, I just wanted to mention what seemed to be a good speaker choice, I was running a pair of sound dynamic 700 concert monitor's, very efficient at 101db, but I recently (yesterday) bought a pair of polk audio RTi A3's and I have to say they sound fantastic on this amp very full and detailed, and even though they are only 89 db it drives them well
cheers
Garth

i have been running 6bg6 tubes with a 6l6 adapter. very open, detailed sound. and the tubes are super cheap.

anyone know if those same adapters would work for the 807s?

really awesome little amp!
The 807 tube has a top cap, so a wire from the base of the tube to the top of the tube.
So I would say no.

Which brings up a good point - Be careful of the top cap on an 807. It has 300+ volts on it.

Attachments

• 807 Tube Adapter.jpg
    807 Tube Adapter.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
the 6l6 to 6bg6 adapter has the cap as well

i'll look at the epay listing for the 807 adapter and see if i can tell...

i just noticed a canuck audio mart ad,

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649051933-musical_paradise_mp301_mk3_plus_upgrades/

where the guy has apparently been using 350b, and without an adapter. anyone try this?

really awesome little amp!

I just bought this very amplifier. The 350B tubes sound great. The separation between instruments is insane, and the sound is very relaxed and free from any harshness or grain. I think they may be better than a pair of Genelex "Gold Lion" KT66's I have in it right now. I just received it yesterday, so I'm still experimenting with the best tube combo in it.

I owned the MP-301 MK2 and the MK3 is a significant upgrade. And it looks like the new "Deluxe Version" will be even better.

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54

cool!
so i'll have to try the 350b and 807 (with adapter) options
i highly recommend the 6bg6 (need adapter) tube as well.
yep, a great amp

I made some slight mods to mine.

I noticed with headphones there was some background hum. That doesn't cut it for me, so I upgraded the signal wire that goes from the RCA jacks to the input selector with some double shielded coax (2 coax cables twisted with a shield around them) from an s-video cable and routed as far away as possible from the choke. I separated the grounds at the RCA's as the left/right grounds are connected for each input factory. I grounded the outer shield to the chassis on the RCA end and left it open on the switch end. I also upgraded the wires going to the binding posts just because I had some silver plated wire left over from another project.

This made a noticeable difference, but it wasn't totally gone. I wanted to see if it could be better.

It seemed like the hum could be due to the gain of the preamp stage which seems rather high with the NOS Sylvania 6SJ7's I'm using. I noticed that there was some noise that increased with the volume knob, and if I selected the second input which had no source plugged in it was noise city. Too much gain maybe?

So, as a simple attempt to reduce gain, the next thing I did was snip the cathode bypass caps from the preamp stage. I've removed them on some vintage amps I've modded and never missed them.

As expected, this resulted in less gain, and it takes a bit more on the volume knob for the same level, but the hum is gone completely and I'm left with a nice black background with headphones! The amp is now insanely quiet for a single ended amp.

I did a bit of research before snipping these caps and I concluded that bypassed cathode resistors result in a a boost in gain, at the expense of linearity.

The end result of all of this is what sounds like even better resolution, more airiness and transients like cymbals, bells, etc. sound even more lifelike (faster attack?).

It reminds me of a singled ended EL-84 console amp that I triode strapped, but with more control in the bottom end and more balls. It's actually what I would image a considerably more expensive (like 5X+ the price) tube amp to sound like.

BTW, I don't recommend this if you are concerned about warranty coverage. I wouldn't think of doing this on a $1500 amp, but I can gamble with $300. :music:

I wish MP would release an amp between the MP-301 and their top of the line model. I think they used to have one and I don't know why it was discontinued. Does anyone know if they plan on a new model soon?

cubdog

I wrote Garry earlier this year and he said they would be...I've "settled" for a deluxe mp-301 - and can't wait for it to get here.

Garry also responded that the 350b and 350c would work well in the mp-301 mk3 since it is basically a 807 in a 6l6 footprint. These allows even more tube rolling possibilities!! :)

Ugh... another great budget tube amp to add to my want list.

For anyone looking for a tube with the mids of an EL34 and the bass of a 6L6, you should try the JJ KT77. It's a slightly more powerful EL34.

for anyone trying for NOS GE 6L6GC , try the TAD6l6wgc str!!..its identical in sound!..SOUNDS A LOT LIKE THE NOS GE/RCA 6L6GC!..and a lot cheaper than NOS

Last edited:
This is at the top of my current list (I probably would have already ordered one if the MKIII 2013 Deluxe version was currently available). I'm a little concerned that this little guy with 6L6's won't be powerful enough to drive my 89dB Meadowlark Swift speakers. It's a fairly small room and I sit about six feet away from the speakers. Any opinions?

i think it can handle that small space..I have about the same listening space..and i listen at 9:00 o'clock position and its loud enough for me.

plus you can roll different tubes that suites you

Garry also responded that the 350b and 350c would work well in the mp-301 mk3 since it is basically a 807 in a 6l6 footprint. These allows even more tube rolling possibilities!! :)

tried the 350b, its a bit bright to me!..its going to barter town soon..:D

Last edited:
on wednesday i borrowed a friend's valve art 350b pair and popped them in. a nice detailed sound but a bit more solid -- maybe a bit less open -- than the 6bg6 sound. i think i'll look for a set when i get some spending $.

alas, my left output tube socket is acting up. will have to take it to my tech.

on wednesday i borrowed a friend's valve art 350b pair and popped them in. a nice detailed sound but a bit more solid -- maybe a bit less open -- than the 6bg6 sound. i think i'll look for a set when i get some spending $.
alas, my left output tube socket is acting up. will have to take it to my tech.

let me know, i can sell you my VA350B at a discount..:D

Back
Top Bottom