Musings of the Yamaha CA-1010

If you like the CA-1010, then you'll LOVE the CA-2010. I was a yammy-fan the instant I plugged it in.
The best part is I picked it up for $20 at a garage sale. :D

3137269218_3f704de5f2.jpg

As you noted in your unfinished article it was Yamaha's policy to spend as much engineering on each 'component' whether they were separates or integrated. Having been inside more than a few I can attest to that design philosophy as I see the same circuits in receivers, integrated amps or power and pre-amps.

Old thread, i know...but since we like to kick vintage items into life, i find it only appropriate to post inhere. The reason? Well - i guess you all know impulse Vs gear slash G.A.S. :D

So i happened to please my G.A.S. the other day

attachment.php

A few scuffs and dings here and there - but after cleaning and deox, this is the state it's in for now. Will work on the outer cosmetics later, as the wooden cabinet definately is worth paying attention to.

Later today, some more serious listening is planned. Only checked the function briefly when i got it, before starting on the most necessary first-aid. I am especially looking forward to the Class A-part and the different Phono-capabilities. Let's see if this heavy(!) sucker can bring forth a smile :music:

Attachments

• Photo 25-02-14 11.26.21.jpg
    Photo 25-02-14 11.26.21.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 186
I probably said this somewhere in the past here but when I first heard Yamahas compared to Sansui and Pioneer I too like a lot people thought they sounded thin and weak.I had to learn to listen to really appreciate the Yamaha sound.

A word of caution: NEVER EVER switch from class A to normal or vice versa while the unit is powered on.

Between my father and I we've owned all of the line from the CA-410 through to the CA-1010. I also have a C-4 pre. All great stuff!

I believe there is something to do with the amount of current going through the switch contacts that may damage or destroy them, the switch is obsolete and very hard to find used.

I have heard the caution applied to any of the Yamaha amps with selectable class A operation. Even if the larger/newer units are "immune" it is still a good practice either way.

Yamaha 110s

I've got a CA-1010 and its matching CT-1010. Had them gone through by a local tech but I'm getting static in my left channel. Sigh… Seems pointless o take it back to the same tech…
Mike

Attachments

• Yamaha 1010s.JPG
    Yamaha 1010s.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 43
Jarve good day! Have you every listened to a Sansui AU 919. Of course one
that has been restored.

I believe it is one of Sansui most "neutral" amp and so would just like to hear
how you regard it vs the Yamie 1010.

I've got a CA-1010 and its matching CT-1010. Had them gone through by a local tech but I'm getting static in my left channel. Sigh… Seems pointless o take it back to the same tech…
Mike

Where are you located ?

In defense of your tech, some intermittent problems can be very difficult to duplicate and therefore diagnose and repair.

In my limited experience with these models, driver transistor breakdown/failure is a common cause for a steady volume static in one channel.

It's usually the pre-out switch on the back or a relay

Where are you located ?

In defense of your tech, some intermittent problems can be very difficult to duplicate and therefore diagnose and repair.

In my limited experience with these models, driver transistor breakdown/failure is a common cause for a steady volume static in one channel.

Mike

I had to take mine back but he got it the second time.No charge of course.

My estate sale CA-1010 has, unfortunately, resisted my efforts to date to revive it. I have one more learning/repair session planned and, if I am not successful, then I'll take it to a local tech.

In the meantime, I have other Yamaha gear to listen to and enjoy.

Yamaha CA-600 Amplifier Home office
Yamaha CT-610 II Tuner Home office
Yamaha CA-600 Amplifier Mstr bdrm
Yamaha CT-410 Tuner Mstr bdrm
Yamaha CT-810 Tuner Garage/Shop
Yamaha CA-2010 Amplifier Garage/Shop
Yamaha CR-620 Receiver The wife's glass studio

Yamaha CT-800 Tuner On the bench
Yamaha CA-1010 Amplifier On the bench

Then there is the 2-channel system in the man cave upstairs and the main system downstairs but those are each a story unto themselves. :D

My CA-1000 Yamaha Story

Hi All , I've joined this site to learn something about re-birthing a CA-1000 , I bought mine way back in '78 at a cost of $880, everybody thought I was insane for paying that much , saying that I could have bought a complete stereo with speakers etc I did not care, after listening to one at my school friends brothers place I was hooked and awed by it ,they were connected to Bose 901 series IV's in a excellent concrete room those 901's sure made those curtains move when we played Supertramps "School" a little later he bought the NS-1000M's they are quite different in a good way, Kevin played a master disc with like a jam session going on and right at the end they all stop playing suddenly then a kettle drum is heard first then the room shudders from the speakers to where we were sitting from that kettle drum I'll never forget that moment, I was 17 and the Yammie and I proved them all wrong it finally died in 2000 that's 22yrs for $880 do the math It cost me very little I'm sure there are lots of stories like mine out there I think I did see one guy had his going for almost 32 yrs they just smack of quality in looks , sound and reliability , I was told that it couldn't be repaired and to buy something of equal quality back then the only choice would have been a Denon at around $5000 , she said that they just don't make'em like they used to, I'll have to say the Yamaha CA-1000's have a clinical sound compared to many at that time a friend of mine had the Sansui AU-717 driving Cerwin vega's 3 ways yeah great volume and huge bass but a natural sound No way he even said mine had better quality I was driving AR-11's in our extension room also concrete floor and walls , we used to Play "The Wall" album and listen to it from the park a 100 yards away. Some of my ex-neighbours say they miss the music too funny,You could get away with making that much noise back then, forget trying to do that today here in OZ. I read a lot that switching from class A to class AB whilst on is a no no , I never had that problem it must happening to these units now that they are much older, and I for one love the adjustable loudness control esp. if you are listening for long periods . I also think the pre-amp side is great too with the individual bass and treble for each channel left and right also the pre main switch is handy when you are running a massive amp for a party that allows to to still use most of your gear , hope I have not bored to all to sleep :eek:) cheers

I have one that has developed protection issues so now I am on the fence whether it is worth repairing again.Better than a M-50 which I also have working? I don;t know but as is the case with forty year old gear is how much do you put into it.

Back
Top Bottom