Musings of the Yamaha CA-1010

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by M Jarve, Jul 2, 2007.

1. noisehead

noisehead Guest

Yes, I know this is an old thread, you don't have to tell me how stupid I am (thought I would get that out of the way). My experience with the Yamaha 1010 was not very positive, I acquired one locally several years ago. It worked fine, I cleaned the controls and replaced a few lights. The volume could get loud and I heard no distortion. But the amplifiers sound seemed dull, lifeless, compared to my other solid state and tube gear. Reading about the positive experiences of others, it is possible that amp had some tired capacitors. I ended up selling it......:dunno:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. wmgwizard

wmgwizard AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yamaha's "Natural Sound" is not everyone's favorite. Some describe it as "sterile".

To each their own....

3. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Most likely tired caps and out of tolerance fusible resistors as well as dirty controls/switches.

4. superdog

superdog AK Member

I had a CA1010 and loved it.I think it worked very well with some Bozak 302a speakers playing vintage jazz on vinyl.Just had too many age related issues so I sold it.If I could have one now though....

5. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

You guys are getting me stoked. I have a 2010 waiting in the wings for Avionic to let me know my number is being called. I do have a question. It says it runs class A ( I get it the switch 30 wpc). Then class B (when switched) . Here's where I'm somewhat confused. Most amp I've read about go from class A to class AB is this a semantic thing?
    It's the only piece I've run across that states Class B only (rather than AB) . Is it in fact running class B at that point and if so, why did Yamaha opt to go B rather than AB?

6. bktheking

bktheking Gitter Done!

AB is the industry standard and is what's found in most amps , the class A switching is what makes it special. I have just spent the last 3 weeks listening to my 1010 and its outstanding as far as sound reproduction.

avionic likes this.
  7. Van_Isle

Van_Isle AK Subscriber Subscriber

Revive an old thread again.

I saw mention of a switch no longer being obtainable. What other, if any, key parts in a CA-1010 are difficult or impossible to find? In other words, how does it rate in that respect in terms of long-term 'keeper'?

8. wmgwizard

wmgwizard AK Subscriber Subscriber

I believe the switch you may be thinking of is the "Class A/AB" switch.

I believe if you switch from class A to Class AB while the unit is operating the switch contacts become damaged.

I don't think there are any new replacements and usable spares are getting scarce.

I don't believe there are any electronic components (caps/resistors/transistors/diodes) that aren't available.

9. avionic

No....CA-1010 uses a relay to switch A and AB. Not snap switches like the CA-800 and 1000. He is refering to the power switch.

Please register to disable this ad.

10. avionic

If concerned about the power switch. Modify to a triac switch and your power switch will last almost forever.

11. onepixel

onepixel .