MX 114 and cleaning controls.

AlTinkster92

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just a couple questions for you guys. Am wanting to clean the volume control on my MX114. I called Audio Classics to ask them what they use when they receive a unit for repair or service in general. Ryan was who I spoke with and he said they use Caig Deoxit DN5. I asked about any lube was present in it and he said no. I asked if he was sure and he said he was certain. Now, to my mind and from what Ive learned from threads in these Forums one should use Faderlube F5 since it has the lube built in...am I right?

Edit, I just called Mcintosh service center as well and they said Deoxit DN5 also... scratching my head on all this.. Thanks AL

Last edited:
Read the Material Data Sheets for the DeOxit products. That's how you know what's in the different products. Caig, IMHO, makes it quite difficult to determine what to use where mainly because the marketing gets in the way of the products, which are excellent.

Generally, my guidance is:

- Metal-to-metal contacts: Use DeOxit for corrosion reduction.

- For any pot that was a wiper and a carbon substrate (volume, base, treble, balance, etc): Use FaderLube.

Cheers,

David

Thanks, I did some research and Deoxit 5 is now Deoxit DN5....the new version is non flammable so it can be sent via air shipments. New Fed rules and regs don't ya know. AL

Read the Material Data Sheets for the DeOxit products. That's how you know what's in the different products. Caig, IMHO, makes it quite difficult to determine what to use where mainly because the marketing gets in the way of the products, which are excellent.

Generally, my guidance is:

- Metal-to-metal contacts: Use DeOxit for corrosion reduction.

- For any pot that was a wiper and a carbon substrate (volume, base, treble, balance, etc): Use FaderLube.

Cheers,

David
I have a c39 that has some scratchiness on the balance and loudness pots. So I should try FaderLube? Do I need to disassemble the unit to spray it or just remove the knobs and go through the front

It has been a few years since I was inside a C39, but I think you need to access with the top cover off. Two tubes heat shrunk together helps here.

Thanks again, being I;m totally unfamiliar with these I just might end up sending the unit off, If it was a Fisher I know the insides well, being a Mac I don't want to screw it up...:) probably need a total "go thru" anyway..

I have a c39 that has some scratchiness on the balance and loudness pots. So I should try FaderLube? Do I need to disassemble the unit to spray it or just remove the knobs and go through the front
The C39 and MX130 have motor driven volume pots because of the remote control. The actual pot is at the back end of the motor assembly and probably 2" or more from the front panel. You have to remove the cover.

The C39 and MX130 have motor driven volume pots because of the remote control. The actual pot is at the back end of the motor assembly and probably 2" or more from the front panel. You have to remove the cover.
Is the pot sealed? Or can I get some contact cleaner In there with the cover off?

It has been a few years since I was inside a C39, but I think you need to access with the top cover off. Two tubes heat shrunk together helps here.
I'm not sure what you mean by "two tubes heat shrunk together"

The cleaning/lubricating sprays usually come with a red tube, two of those tubes end to end give you greater reach to get to those controls deep inside the unit. Sealing the ends together can be done with heat shrink tubing or I would guess tape.

Back to the thread. Thanks to the OP for this; it's timely for me.

Just finished rebulbing my 114, next up is a Deoxit pass on the controls. I appreciate the
experienced responses here, gonna dig in soon!

Keep us posted Mrv, I really want to work on this myself, just a little nervous with Mac gear......:) I also ordered all new Dial lamps from McIntosh as well, gotta figure out how to get to them under the glass.

Replacing the bulbs on the 114 was relatively easy. Remove top and bottom plates, and everything else is pretty apparent. No need to pull off the chrome end chevrons.

Before I opened it up, I was disappointed the red FM stereo light wouldn't light. The Magic Eye tuner tube worked fine.
Of course, after opening, there was no bulb for the stereo light. That was the trickiest to replace.

I'm cheap; ordered bulbs for the 114 and a 2505 from an online bulb site; under $20 shipped and looking good.
I will do a deoxit pass one of these days. The dark foam surround around the front panel switches was crusty dust.
A quick measurement and X-acto cut of some spare foam and I'm good to go!

1828 MINIATURE BULB BA9S BASE #1828 MINIATURE BULB BA9S BASE
2 $0.49 $0.98
1866 #1866 Miniature Bulb Ba9S Base
12 $0.69 $8.28
1888 #1888 MINIATURE BULB BA9S BASE
6 $0.45 $2.70

Last edited:
Thanks MRV, listened to it several hours last night and in the last hour I noticed the dial lamp around the Input selector switch went out. I turned the unit off and waited 5 minutes, fired it back up and the light was back on. Going to call Audio Classics in the morning and order a shipping box for it....might as well get it done and done right and have em go thru the whole thing Will be lost with out a preamp for awhile.........sigh. Al

Sweet! I ordered a MX114 box directly from McIntosh 3 years ago; $55 as I recall. One more option for you.

Thanks, Mac box any better than Audio Classics? Listened to it last night and everything was fine. Still gonna send it off to them....

Well, here it is Friday, been waiting patiently all week. Why you say? Today's the day I get my MX114 back from Audio Classics!

11 am, UPS pulls up, unloads a box and knocks on the door. I answer of course......thanked the driver and brought it inside. Saying to myself, your back, your back! Lit up a smoke and started unpacking...all looks good! Got the 114 out of the box, then out of the bag and right on the kitchen counter for a look see. All nice and shiny, no dust no nothin. Then, yes, wait for it........................Gave the dial glass a good look and on the bottom there is 2, yes, 2 cracks! I just stood there, dumbfounded and didnt say a word for 5 minutes. Pissed? Darn right. Shipping box was perfect, no signs of damage, these boxes are sturdy as all heck. Unit was dropped somewhere along the line.:yikes:

Called Audio Classics and they are going to take care of it, I sent pics of the box and the 114. Will wait to hear back from them Monday. Sure messed up my day for sure. :( Could of been worse I guess but sure disappointed. Audio Classics couldn't of been nicer and great customer service. Now to pack it up and send it back again.......... stay tuned.. .Al

Heard from Audio Classics this morning, UPS will be picking the 114 up tomorrow to be sent back to them for repair, good ole UPS messed up more than the glass when they dropped it.......

Oh, man, that sucks!
I am really sorry but at least AC will make this right.
What else was damaged on your unit?

Hi TR6, evidently it was dropped big time. The input selector switch now bleeds audio from aux and tape, never used to do that. UPS picked it up finally yesterday to be shipped back to Audio Classics. They emailed me and said they will make it right, also will have to have new glass...... When I first got it a year ago it had brand new glass on it then as well........

Whats crazy is the shipping box showed absolutely no damage at all, no bent corners or anything. I was all excited till I opened it up and looked, my heart just sank.......

Have received great customer service from AC so far.....cant wait to get it back, again. Al

Back
Top Bottom