My 3 inch (8cm) mini compact disc collection

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by SA-708, Mar 28, 2017.

1. SA-708

SA-708 Appalachian-American

Packaging: USA: Columbia

IMG_1585.JPG

1987 promotional copy of a Terrence Trent D'Arby single. This came in a clear plastic sleeve.

IMG_1587.JPG

The back of the sleeve shows the manufacturer and patents.

IMG_1631.JPG

One of the big releases in the 3" CD format in the US, I remember a couple of local record stores had this disc for sale in a countertop display next to the cash register. This came in a 12" long package, with the text panel at the top (cut down by an earlier owner) and a window at the bottom, showing the CD in the clear plastic sleeve inside. This EP was only available on the 3" disc at the time, and a few of the tracks were shortened from the vinyl version. I'm thinking they edited out some of the crowd noise and such between the live songs. I also own this EP on 12" wax so I should compare.

IMG_1632.JPG

I trimmed the panel from the long box down a smidge to fit the mini jewel case after I purchased the disc.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. SA-708

Packaging: USA: Columbia

IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG

Eventually, Columbia/Epic gave up on the patented plastic sleeve and went to a paper sleeve attached to a 12" backing card by perforations. They kept the round window in the card with the disc inside.

IMG_1652.JPG

Columbia was late with their oldies series, not getting this "Hall of Fame" series out until 1989. Perforations on the sleeve show that it was once attached to a backing card. This series of singles were cut out very soon after release, and as a result are some of the rarest US 3" CDs.

3. SA-708

One of the ironies of the 3" CD format is that they disappeared from the US market at about the same time that hardware manufacturers started adding the indentation for them to CD and CD-ROM loading trays.

cnolanh likes this.
  4. SA-708

Packaging: Japan

With few exceptions, the 8cm singles from Japan and other East Asian countries came in standardised covers know as the snap-pack.

IMG_1567.JPG

As purchased, the snap-pack was about 4" by 8".

IMG_1570.JPG

Back cover.

IMG_1566.JPG

Opened up, one can see both the tray where the disc is kept, but also a bottom portion of plastic that was designed to be snapped off, so the cover would then be 4" square. The irony here is that most of them were not snapped; it is rare to see them for sale in that state.

IMG_1573.JPG

The reason I chose this one for photos is that it includes instructions on how to snap the plastic tray and the refold paper.

IMG_1557.JPG

Two different singles for the same song. One has the song with a B-side, and the other has the song with an advert for the Subaru Impreza. Both were purchased used, and I think the sticker on the spine indicates that it was a rental copy, but I could be wrong.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  5. SA-708

Packaging: Japan

One more post re: Japan before moving on to Europe.

IMG_1562.JPG

I had to include this one because it is so pretty; the photos don't quite do it justice. The single is by Ryuichi Sakamoto and his daughter Miu.

IMG_1563.JPG

The title is on a sticker on the resealable plastic, and the artwork is on transparent plastic over the plain silver foil cover.

IMG_1565.JPG

The back is printed in the normal manner.

IMG_1716.JPG

The only Japanese 3" CD I own that did not come in a snap-pack. Wait, no, I also have two 5" + 3" CD sets that came in double jewel cases.

IMG_1719.JPG

It is a promotional single, so it probably wasn't available at retail in this jewel case.

6. SA-708

Packaging: UK: Virgin

Virgin in the UK went big on the 3" CD format, releasing current singles and a number of reissues as well.

IMG_1614.JPG

Virgin's standard packaging was a small cardboard sleeve, inside a larger clear plastic frame the size of a jewel case. CBS and WEA in the UK also used these clear frames, so it was one of the more popular ways to package 3" CDs there.

IMG_1552.JPG

This reissue of a 1983 single comes in a simple sleeve (no gatefold).

IMG_1693.JPG

This was part of another Virgin reissue series (identified by the red box on the cover) that were the first release on CD for 12" single mixes.

IMG_1694.JPG

These gatefold sleeves with the blank inner panel and the opening for the CD in the center were also commonly used by Virgin (and CBS and WEA).

IMG_1695.JPG

Here's the gatefold opened out. No label on the spine, as opposed to the US A&M gatefolds that did.

7. SA-708

Packaging: UK: Virgin/CBS/WEA

IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1757.JPG

This was a 1989 release, not a reissue. A previous owner decided to use the blank inside page to collect the autographs of That Petrol Emotion (several of whom had been in The Undertones).

IMG_1629.JPG

1989 single by the Echo & the Bunnymen frontman.

IMG_1625.JPG

One of three Midnight Oil singles I own, all from the Diesel & Dust album. The other two came in larger packaging with an adapter ring.

IMG_1555.JPG

Lots of novelty packaging of 3" CD singles in the UK. This The The single came in two versions, including one in a small cardboard box. Epic also used a title on the spine of the gatefold.

8. SA-708

Packaging: UK: Virgin

More novelties.

IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG

Full XTC album on three 3" CDs, in a cigarette styled box with a space for each disc.

IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG

XTC single in a crown-shaped cardboard case.

I have a heart-shaped cover for "Sloppy Heart" by The Frazier Chorus on Virgin in the post on its way to me, so no photos of it yet. I'm looking forward to hearing their b-side cover of "Anarchy in the UK."

Impalaboy likes this.
  9. SA-708

Packaging: Europe: WEA & CBS

Two more novelties.

IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG

The CD fits into a slot on the elephant's back.

IMG_1654.JPG

CBS Europe release, using a cloth patch material for the sleeve. The cover is the same on both sides. Great version of Jules Shear's "If We Never Meet Again" by Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers. Whatever happened with them?

10. SA-708

Packaging: Europe: Mute & New Rose

Everything I have from Mute Records (UK or German licensing) came in a slim-line 5" jewel case. This was also a commonly seen format for 3" CDs in the UK & Europe, with the advantage of allowing for the inclusion of an adapter ring.

IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1675.JPG

Three different singles for Depeche Mode's "Policy of Truth." Two are W. German licensed, one from the UK (the blue cover, middle in the second photo). The black one with the "Quad Mix" is the rare one.

IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG

Another example, a reissue on the French New Rose label. I've got photos of releases in London, Rough Trade, WEA, etc. but these aren't so exciting to look at.

11. SA-708

Packaging: Europe: Red Rhino, CBS & A&M

IMG_1711.JPG

A 5" square cardboard sleeve seems an odd choice, but it allowed for the inclusion of an adapter ring. Here is a Front242 reissue on Red Rhino Europe (RRE) in Holland.

IMG_1712.JPG

Another one, also from Holland but on CBS.

IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG

A&M in the UK came up with this plastic insert to put a 3" CD into a 5" sleeve, quite a different approach to what they used in the US.

12. SA-708

Packaging: UK: Beggar's Banquet

Not many releases on 3" disc for this indie label, and they all seem to have been novelties. The one I am aware of but don't have (The Go Betweens' "Streets of Your Town") had a different "traffic light" novelty cover than these two.

IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG

According to the inside cover, the single by The Fall (also released on double 7") is "The world's first (and probably last) double compact disc single strictly limited to 4000."

IMG_1649.JPG
    IMG_1650.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG

This looks much the same, but this wallet package came with just The Cult's "Fire Woman," and the matching "Edie (Ciao Baby)" single had to be purchased separately.

13. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

Not something I would normally care much for, but your enthusiasm and presentation makes this thread informative and very enjoyable.

Eric

14. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

I only have one, the sampler from Audio.

15. SA-708

Packaging: UK: Warner Brothers, Mushroom, & Blast First

Just a few more to go.

IMG_1560.JPG

Warner Brothers packaged four singles from REM's Monster album in Japanese-style snap packs, for the UK and European markets.

IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG

I've got two singles by Garbage on Mushroom Records where the CD (by itself, no sleeve) was in a blister pack with the rough dimensions of a jewel case. It took careful some work with a knife to extricate the CD and preserve the artwork as best I could. Both date from 1988.

IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG

This is the only example I own of a 3" CD in a standard normal (not slim-line) jewel case. Blast First may have done this to distinguish this as an EP rather than a single.

16. SA-708

Packaging: UK: Factory & EMI

IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG

This UK Factory release uses a small cardboard cover, with a plastic hub to hold the CD. I have one other like this, which is the only one of the Beatles singles reissues I have that is from the UK, not the US.

I don't know what larger package these may have been in at retail.

17. SA-708

Packaging: Italy

Two oddball items from Italy.

IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG

1997 release by small label, included the CD in a sleeve, inside a larger plastic sleeve containing more artwork (and hand-numbering) on an A4 sheet.

IMG_1760.JPG

Stampa Alternativa released a series of these books containing essays and lyrics with an enclosed musical recording. Early titles came with a 7" record, middle of the series came with a record or 3" CD, and then they switched over to CD only. These are hard to collect, as often the book and CD are offered for sale seperately. I have two about Joy Division and two about The Smiths, and several more besides. The CDs are in plain white cardboard sleeves, and some (like this one from 1990) have a sheet of paper with details. I do have one of these books on Wire from 1994 that came with a 5" CD instead.

18. SA-708

Packaging: 2000s Revival

There was a revival of the 3" CD single format in the early-to-mid 2000s, which made use of some new packaging that became available at that time, as 3" CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R products hit the market for use in MP3 players and cameras.

IMG_1606.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG

I use these small slim-line CD jewel cases to store my collection, but this is one of the few that came new inside one. This is the only US release I have in one of these, on a small indie label, and manufactured in Canada. I also have two 2004 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb era U2 singles from the UK, and several from a "POCK-IT" CD series from Germany including "The End of the World" by The Cure. One feature of many of these discs is that the barcodes are on the CD itself, which would have been label-down in the case at retail, leaving more space on the paper insert for artwork.

IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG

A 3" digipack, same as the 5" digipack tray in thickness and layout, also became available at that time. This 2003 promotional single (with video CD-ROM content as well as music) was released by Rounder in Europe.

19. SA-708

Packaging: 2000s Revival

One more for today.

IMG_1643.JPG

2001 EP by The Czars on the short-lived Canadian label Absolom Records, in a letterpress on rough paperboard sleeve. I bought this "Music From The Film I'd Rather Be ... Gone" EP on a whim on eBay years ago, just because it was on a 3" CD, and discovered a wonderful band. Still a fan of their frontman John Grant who is now recording solo. I've got one more from the Absolom's subscription 3" CD series (an EP of covers by The Autumns), with several more left to collect.

20. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

Those are all really neat .