My 3 inch (8cm) mini compact disc collection

Some new acquisitions...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Sloppy Heart" by Frazier Chorus. Heart-shaped cardboard cover from Virgin UK, a reissue of a single originally released by 4AD.

image.jpeg

"It's All Coming Back to Me Now," by Jim Steinman's project Pandora's Box. This is the original recording, Celine Dion covered it later. Silver ink on black vinyl embossed with a reptile skin print, a Velcro closure, and a folded insert, from Virgin UK again.

...and here is a group shot of all The Beatles singles on 3" CDs. All are US releases except for one UK.

image.jpeg

"Strawberry Fields Forever" on US Capital is supposed to be the rare one, but I had no trouble finding a copy priced the same as the others. From what I've read, there were complaints that the US single should have been flipped to have "Penny Lane" as the A side. It was deleted, to be replaced with a corrected version in a second pressing for the series, that never happened dou to the failure of the 3" CD format.

Another new 3" CD for my collection, "Dig Lazarus Dig" by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. This is a 60 page 4" square book about the song and the album named for it, particularly the cover artwork. The single track CD is packaged inside the back cover.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
One collector set released several years ago in Japan was the Carpenters singles box set. It contained 33 3" CD singles, being replicas of their original 45RPM releases. Even the disc labels matched the appearance of the 45s. It was pricey when first released; now it is through the stratosphere. I imagine it would be a pain to play all the way through the set, but on the other hand, the replicas are reportedly so impeccably rendered that it is a neat experience to handle the set in person.

upload_2017-7-19_23-0-31.png

https://www.discogs.com/Carpenters-Japanese-Single-Box/release/5545606

I have been collecting 3" CDs since the mid-90s and have more than 800 in my collection. Yet there have been some posted on this thread that I have not seen before. I'd love to get my hands on that Carpenters set!

I also have a collection of 3" CD-ROM discs. Here's a silly news story that was done on my collection back in the early to mid 2000s. My collection is considerably larger now. Enjoy!

Welcome to AK.

I can't recall if I've bought more of these since July. I do have more 3 inch CDs than I featured in this thread. I also have a few of the 3" CD personal disc players.

Welcome to AK.

I can't recall if I've bought more of these since July. I do have more 3 inch CDs than I featured in this thread. I also have a few of the 3" CD personal disc players.
I would really like to add one of the 3" disc player to my collection, specifically the Sony D-88 but it's out of my price range.

Most of my collection can be viewed here in you are interested: http://www.racksandtags.com/impalaboy/albums/?c=100

I hope this thread continues...

Happy collecting!

I need to get my collection catalog up-to-date. I've got most of them entered into Discogs but I think I've missed a few, both recent purchases and some that are in a "for trade" stack.

I've got three models of Phillips 3" CD players (but not the Nike co-branded one), plus the Akai that's linked in the first post of this thread. I'd like one of the Sonys (the D-88 or D-82) but they do change hands at silly prices, plus the expense of getting the odd-sized battery refurbished. The ones I have use gumstick and/or AAA cells, but they are more recent players made for MP3s burned onto 3" CD-Rs (but do play redbook 3" CDs too) so they are not sought out by collectors like the Sony models.

I got the catalog of my collection up-to-date. Some of the details from Discogs have not been proofread. but this looks to be accurate enough.

Attachments

• 3 inch CD collection 8 Jan 18.zip
    8.2 KB · Views: 4
What a great thread! That Carpenter's set looks fantastic! I only own one 3" CD. It's the bonus disc of encores from a Japanese punk band's live album. "Thee Michelle Gun Elephant - Casanova Say Live or Die".

Well, after this thread came back to life last month, I went back to shopping online for more 3" CDs.

image.jpg

One lot I bought on eBay had several promotional releases from Europe in the late 90s. Both of these were from the Echo Label in the UK from 1998. Having an inner cardboard sleeve in an outer slipcase gave them more space for promotional copy and images.

[Edit]: after posting this earlier today, I learned that
Jóhann Jóhannsson of LHOOQ has passed away today.

image.jpg

Similar idea with this triple panel gatefold with a "belly band", released on Electric Canyon in 1999.

And now the real oddball. The listing said something about this CD not being compatible with all players, but didn't explain why. This EMI 1999 release was in a gatefold sleeve, about a half-inch taller and wider than the normal 3" CD sleeve.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The back has two stickers, including the warning.

image.jpg

Once I got the CD out, I made the discovery that this "disc" is square.

I also got several more of the Rhino Li'l Bit o Gold oldies series, and another from the Absalom 3"CD series with the letterpress sleeves, a noise-hip-hop EP by Soul-Jazz.

Last edited:
These are my latest acquisitions:
R-6506771-1420839726-2916.jpeg.jpg
R-435894-1210181183.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Smash-Mouth-American-Radio-Make-Some-Noise/release/6506771
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Best-Sampler/release/435894

I've added something new in MiniCD packaging to my collection.

image.jpeg

This Japanese snap pack arrived in an aftermarket jewel case made to fit. There are auctions on eBay offering a few disks with the cases, or the cases on their own, which are all used as they don't seem to be manufactured these days.

As an aside, the cover model's butt crack was not censored on the cover of this single in other markets.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It is hard to get a clear photo, but on the back under the CD-A logo, is the name of the manufacturer, Nagaoka.

Back
Top Bottom